how install or use win98 on modern laptops and how can i use NTFS disks?

Joaquim

Make sure you can read a smaller sized disk on that port you have the 1TB drive as it might be a size related issue or if you plug in HDD and get blue screen then you have USB feeding back to parent hardware like PCI bus stopping PCI bus data transitions. This affect can feedback to the CPU. If blue screen is the case, the strength can be improved some what by using two quality hubs with their own power supply. Sipolar brand is the only USB brand I know that is of quality USB2 functioning. I have a 10 port and 2 x 4 port hubs. If USB port on machine is coupled to first hub then second hub then HDD is plugged into second hub this may provide better strength in accessing the device. Each hub has its own 12V power supply and is required anyway with Sipolar. Install Partition Manager and this will also confirm driver issues associated with the larger 1TB drive.

Is possible that disk is sata?

Anotherthing that i realy need fix: you know that my audio driver is AC'97... but how can i get it working on  MS-DOS?

Theres is any patch for CPU? Yah my CPU is more faster

Edited by Joaquim

16 minutes ago, Joaquim said:

Is possible that disk is sata?

A USB to SATA adapter is required for SATA disks to plug into USB. The adapter needs to have an external power socket for 12V be supplied to the adapter.

17 minutes ago, Joaquim said:

Anotherthing that i realy need fix: you know that my audio driver is AC'97... but how can i get it working on  MS-DOS?

If you are referring to DOS games then the AC97 should work and discussion was in topic https://msfn.org/board/topic/180571-hd-ac97-audio-beyond-the-137gb128gib-barrier

44 minutes ago, Joaquim said:

Theres is any patch for CPU? Yah my CPU is more faster

If you are using a CPU above 2GHz and win98 or 95 (not sure), I believe there is a patch for this, or if your CPU is operating above 2GHz then you do not need a patch.

2 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

A USB to SATA adapter is required for SATA disks to plug into USB. The adapter needs to have an external power socket for 12V be supplied to the adapter.

Only if it is a 3.5" disk.

Most 2.5" can be powered by the USB port, though, it depends, some disks may need an Y-USB cable to get the power from two USB ports, example:

https://www.kmsoltec.com/53132-large_default/cavo-y-2-x-usb-20-tipo-a-maschio-1x-usb-20-tipo-a-femmina-20-cm.jpg

and some motherboards may provide less (or more) than the standard 500mA@5V on the USB port.

jaclaz

8 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Only if it is a 3.5" disk.

Of course and I would like to add that the 12V plug pack needs to be of about 5A rating to start many 3.5" drives. There are also USB to eSATA+SATA devices that do not have the SATA 15-pin power supply connector in which case I found it best to use a proper eSATA cable which is 1M long.

1 hour ago, Joaquim said:

how i add the 'dosound' command on MS-DOS, when the  MS-DOS is executed?

I do not know, there is no direct 'dosound' instruction/command according to Computerhope. Perhaps we should refer to software using DOS, or if working with the command shell/prompt, refer to it as command line commands/instructions. Here is a list of commands for DOS. https://www.computerhope.com/overview.htm

Working with Win98 you use the Win98 AC97 not AC97 Audio for DOS.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Added USB eSATA adapter comment.

If this discussion prompts Joaquim or other members to buy products then the discussion should become more serious. About USB driving HDDs, it is not a good idea to use the USB 5V itself as power for spinning HDDs as the motor will still modulate the supply voltage and the net result if using USB audio on the same hub or hub tree is that the audio will have motor/seek arm current flutter noticeably effecting the audio output of the USB to analogue device. In this respect the pure USB to eSATA adapter having no power connector is best. The setup might be a little clumsy involving the use of an external 5V + 12V PSU - a PC PSU but it is the most majestic as far as power and USB audio is concerned. The USB to SATA adapters available that come with the SATA power connection are OK for getting data from the disc but I would not use them along with USB audio devices that use the USB 5V supply for the analogue output.

5A? :w00t:

The hungriest disk I had around, an old IDE 3.5" is rated for 960 mA@12V, all "power bricks" for external 3.5" disks I have seen (and also power adapters for "loose" interfaces) tend to be 2A@5V+2A@12V.

I do not exclude that in some cases 2A@12V may be not enough, but it should be a very rare exception.

jaclaz

Ok. I understand that i must use power for some external disk. Thank you.

Wha i didnt fix, on DOS games, is the soun driver :(

the Prince of Persia 2 seems working normal. Others dont have the background music only effects. The Spear or Wolf3D dont execute only black screen. Maybe is the audio driver, but i dont know. And yes i tried others versions too

@jaclaz You are correct with your analogy but the starting current for electric motors is much higher than their running current. The heads are touching at first and there is some friction there. The HDD motor therefore starts up under some load and inertia once started moving. I know from experience that a 5A plug pack is required for many 1" x 3.5" drives, no mistake there. It might be a case of how much dynamic voltage drop the HDD tolerates before stopping the startup procedure. Are the plug packs current limited? They are very light and I doubt that most are pushing out the required current without dipping the voltage?

Edited by Goodmaneuver

On 7/23/2022 at 6:14 PM, Joaquim said:

using setblaster: https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019/04/dos-sound-blaster-setter.html

the Prince of Persia 1 and 2 have both sound.
but not others games :(

It seems like you are talking about running Dos games, in Windows. Is that the case?

If so, is your ac97 driver VxD or WDM?

VxD drivers often support better Soundblaster emulation. The ones I have list Soundblaster emulation in Device Manager. This in addition to the ac97 driver itself.

WDM drivers tend to provide, mostly, sound effects. If you take your time to figure out how to use it, VDMSound for Win9x "Beta3"  "Alpha3" adds better support.

In Windows, I've had a black screen issue running Wolf/Sod. I think it was the version of Wolf/Sod that I was using. Maybe try downloading different versions of the demo, then see it the issue goes away. Otherwise, you can try wolf4sdl and sod4sdl.

Even though you may be using Windows, conventional memory can also be an issue. Wolf/Sod usually display a memory message. You can try wolf4gw and sod4gw. In Windows, I have not gotten music to work with them. But I haven't tried setting VDMSound with different Soundblaster settings.

Edited by awkduck
Correct Beta3 to Alpha3

22 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

@jaclaz You are correct with your analogy but the starting current for electric motors is much higher than their running current. The heads are touching at first and there is some friction there. The HDD motor therefore starts up under some load and inertia once started moving. I know from experience that a 5A plug pack is required for many 1" x 3.5" drives, no mistake there. It might be a case of how much dynamic voltage drop the HDD tolerates before stopping the startup procedure. Are the plug packs current limited? They are very light and I doubt that most are pushing out the required current without dipping the voltage?

Maybe very old hard disks.

Nowadays (that means since 15 or 20 years) Heads are "parked" and (hopefully) NEVER actually touch anything, the "stiction" you refer to:

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/stiction

could happen only on some models of drives (where the heads, instead of an external ramp, were parked on an outer area of the platter.

Of course when operating it is possible by accident that the heads touch the platter and get stuck, but that is a "seriously damaged" disk.

The issue with some disks may be (but it is a rare case and actually a symptom of a failing drive) that the bearing, usually in disks that have not been used for a long time, but not always, gets stuck.

In those cases the drive needs to be opened and there is the need of some serious force to turn the platter/motor manually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHJGiKj8s0

The actual HD motor simply has  so little torque that it cannot start spinning the platter, but if stuck should not overdraw current, the PCB's of the disk should take care of that (built-in overcurrent protection).

The real issue with these "power bricks" (no matter if 1, 2 or 5A) is that usually they are not protected against short circuit.

Modern hard disks have a protection by means of a TVS diode, in some cases the TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor) diode can be  "shot", there are usually two of these diodes, one on the 5V and one on the 12 V rail, the idea is that if something happens, the diode blows and short circuits to ground the + rail in order to prevent possible worst damages to the disk PCB, desktops and laptops power supplies sense the short circuit and shut off immediately, those "power bricks" may well be fried.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

awkduck: is WDM. how use 'VDMSound '?

"In Windows, I've had a black screen issue running Wolf/Sod. I think it was the version of Wolf/Sod that I was using. Maybe try downloading different versions of the demo, then see it the issue goes away. Otherwise, you can try wolf4sdl and sod4sdl."

yes i tried several versions without success :(