Chrome 102 on Windows XP

sparty411

So .. I did watch the vid and we're watching an upgrade to this...?

Hmmm ... I'd have to hear (read) more from the vets here before I'd ever take that chance on my legit and activated XPSp3. 

1 hour ago, sparty411 said:

I stumbled across this today, and figured it was worth sharing.

Chrome this one is terribly unstable. Downloading doesn't work, forget about extensions, even the IDM download trick doesn't help. To run it you create a chrome shortcut and add the entry --no-sandbox
--enable-exclusive-audio (together) and it launches. Search on Github.

6 minutes ago, K-BOX2022 said:

Chrome this one is terribly unstable. Downloading doesn't work, forget about extensions, even the IDM download trick doesn't help. To run it you create a chrome shortcut and add the entry --no-sandbox
--enable-exclusive-audio (together) and it launches. Search on Github.

Right, I just think the fact that one core API is far enough along to allow a late version of Chrome to run at all is an achievement in and of itself. Progress is being made.

Absolutely sensational! Just when you think XP is down for the count...it's back once again!
I'm going to stick with the older/faster browsers that work well for me on my Pentium D, but it's great to know that running very recent versions of Chrome is now an option for the future.
Hopefully by the time I find myself needing to use Chrome 102, the One Core API will be more stable and reliable. The fact that it can even run Chrome 102 at this point is a jaw-dropping feat.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention...this REALLY made my day!

@sparty411 Yes, I agree with you. It's very impressive to see Chrome 102 working on XP, thanks to One-Core-API, which has improved a lot, and it's still improving significantly over time.

If you're gonna test One-Core-API, I recommend a VM for this (for safety), since One-Core-API is still in development. That's what I do, and I report any bugs occurring when using One-Core-API. Consider One-Core-API a Work in Progress (WIP).

@cmccaff1 I don't recommend using Chrome 102 for daily use though. As @K-BOX2022 said above, it has some main problems, such as: not being able to download files (yes, the last Chrome version [with One-Core-API installed] you can download files with is 74], unable to add extensions to Chrome. The latest version of Chrome, which is 103, doesn't run.

Indeed as you have said, hopefully OCAPI will be more stable and reliable in the future. So far, I'm glad of the progress being made.

If you want to use a stable browser then I recommend Brave. (Chrome engine). He laughs very nicely, and goes very stable. I am currently looking for a solution to the problem with installing extensions, when I succeed I will let you know.

2 hours ago, K-BOX2022 said:

If you want to use a stable browser then I recommend Brave.

Since when is the browser Brave compatible with Windows XP? :dubbio:AFAIK, the developer have neither supported this OS nor they'll do that in future times. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Since when is the browser Brave compatible with Windows XP? :dubbio:AFAIK, the developer have neither supported this OS nor they'll do that in future times. :no:

Yes, you are right. The developer of Brave never supported XP and they will never support it in the future.

@K-BOX2022 was actually meaning running Brave on XP with One-Core-API installed, not without One-Core-API installed.

33 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Yes, you are right. The developer of Brave never supported XP and they will never support it in the future.

@K-BOX2022 was actually meaning running Brave on XP with One-Core-API installed, not without One-Core-API installed.

Thanks @mina7601 for your clarification! I don't use these Core or Kernel extensions anymore. If a program does not support Windows XP natively or modified, it won't be installed in my system. In the times of Windows ME, I used KernelEx, but it was always very fiddly, and very experimental. Hopefully, never again, please! :no:

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks @mina7601 for your clarification! I don't use these Core or Kernel extensions anymore. If a program does not support Windows XP natively or modified, it won't be installed in my system. In the times of Windows ME, I used KernelEx, but it was always very fiddly, and very experimental. Hopefully, never again, please! :no:

You're welcome! I only use these extensions in virtual machines. I would never use them on a main system, to be honest.