Windows vista on a Dell optiplex 390

Th_Trix

Hello ! I was wondering of dualbooting windows Vista with windows 11 on my PC but vista always crash after the setup (from usb) reboot to the hdd. Im getting this stop 0x0000001E and i don't know what to do (Only debugging works and i don't want to boot in debugging anymore) and i have the graphics drivers and the ethernet drivers :) i hope you can help me ! (Just sorry for bad english because im french)

do you have windows 11 already installed? your pc "technically" doesn't officially support it so it might be the fact that windows 11 doesn't like older versions in dual boot (hopefully i'm wrong)
generally it's better to start with the older version and then go to newer

Yes it does have windows 11. But i also tried it on my laptop one time and the same happened but it was with windows 10 and the optiplex was originally with windows 7 weird no ? And when it boots on safe mode it stops at crcdisk.sys or something like that and it bluescreens the stop code i mentionned originally.

Edited by Th_Trix

I dont think the installation media is corrupt because i created it with rufus but ill try the windows 7 tool just could you please sende me the link to download it ?

Update : It  just finished creating the usb but boosect didnt executed im gonna try anyways

Again Update : It couldn't boot ;(

Edited by Th_Trix

i don't know man; that bsod code means there's a problem with the ram but since windows 11 works i doubt it is a bad memory stick

what iso are you using? are you sure it's original? msdn ones are but i can't give links sadly

Im using a french iso from lecrabeinfo and the iso is windows vista x64 sp2 but i dont know if it's the original.

And do you know why windows vista can boot in debugging mode ?

Edited by Th_Trix

https://superuser.com/questions/243874/what-is-crcdisk-sys-and-what-it-means-when-it-freezes-to-load

Your PC doesn't hang at all. The larger the HDD the longer it will take to check your drive for bad sectors. Expect in the order of 5 to 10 hours or more to check. In the process it will mark any sectors as bad as appropriate. If you expect your HDD is physically damaged one way to start the CRC check is to go to the properties of your HDD and ask for a check. If you tick to do a pysical check it will start the process. If your HDD is in use at the time (system drive) the check will start on reboot and appear to hang at crcdisk.sys. It will only do the check if you start in safe mode. If you boot normally the physical check will be skipped but it will possibly do a check on files and folders. In this case if you want to force a check you will have to request again. If the drive is not in use (extra HDD) you will find it is able to check while logged on.

If you haven't requested a check the likely cause is disk corruption (physical damage) to the point that it won't boot except in safe mode. It's best in that scanario to recognise what it's doing and wait until the process has finished as it's trying to repair bad sectors. When finished move on to a system repair method to enable proper booting. Once logged on replace damaged files with sfc etc etc.

there are only 3 possibilities that i can think of
1. the iso is corrupted
2. the usb drive is bad
3. windows 11 does not like windows vista
my guess is that windows vista recognizes other installations on the hard drive and given that it is older it doesn't know what windows 11 is (happened to me with windows 10)
i would format the entire HDD/SSD (save the personal files of course) and start with vista and then install w11

Edited by winvispixp

Saddly i cant do it because some stuff in it is really large and i dont want to buy a ssd but i dont know if i formulated the proble of crcdisk.sys right i ment that it says loaded