How to prevent Windows ME from suggesting MS-DOS mode?

Kahenraz

Yep :), the files from RainyShadow have the Windows 286 section before the Windows 386 one, that is 16h (section header) +6h (section length).

Could it be that the files by Rainyshadow are for the original DOSPROMPT pif (that has the 286 section) and your tests are with another "generic" .pif (missing the 286 section), I doubt that different  installs of Windows 98 may have different files structure (or different sections order) but it is of course well possible.

But once it is confirmed that it is the same byte, according to the doc:

01 means "Prevent Windows detection" (not "Close on Exit", maybe it is a translation issue of sorts, as the Author of the doc is probably Russian)
04 means "Not automatically offer transition in a MS-DOS mode"
10 means "Not warn before transition in a MS-DOS mode"

jaclaz

If the behavior still exists in the PIF file and it not blocked by the operating system, would it possible to either patch or swap the resource from Windows 98 into ME to restore the old dialog?

10 hours ago, Kahenraz said:

If the behavior still exists in the PIF file and it not blocked by the operating system, would it possible to either patch or swap the resource from Windows 98 into ME to restore the old dialog?

Maybe.

But first it is needed to test if a .pif made on Windows 98 dies actually work on ME (it is entirely possible that the "old" setting is ignored), and if it works, it has to be seen if it is worth it (as opposed to hex-edit a single byte, which may possibly be automated in a batch script).

What you should try would be:
1) make a .pif for your executable on windows 98 without the setting
2) make .pif for your excutable on Windows 98 with the setting
3) make a .pif for your executable on Windows ME (of course without the setting)
4) test all three .pifs on Windows ME and verify that all work as expected
5) post the three .pifs so that we can check that differences are where they should be

jaclaz

If you want to add the features of Windows Me to Windows 98SE (which will include access to real-mode DOS), I have a tutorial for this at:

I am also planning to make a video on how to add real-mode DOS to Windows Me in the near future (I already know how to do it now, I just need to find a way of adding the option to restart in MS-DOS mode to the Shut Down Menu & readd the Advanced Program Settings).

On 7/11/2022 at 6:57 AM, jaclaz said:

But first it is needed to test if a .pif made on Windows 98 dies actually work on ME (it is entirely possible that the "old" setting is ignored), and if it works, it has to be seen if it is worth it (as opposed to hex-edit a single byte, which may possibly be automated in a batch script).

I can confirm that a PIF from Windows 98 does bypass the warning. It does appear that Windows ME retains this functionality and that the problem is limited to the file properties dialog.

8 hours ago, Kahenraz said:

I can confirm that a PIF from Windows 98 does bypass the warning. It does appear that Windows ME retains this functionality and that the problem is limited to the file properties dialog.

Good.

jaclaz