should i downgrade to windows 7?

Centrix8

i currently use windows 10 and am thinking to downgrade to windows 7 because it is the last version of windows without all of the microsoft accounts and bloatware, another reason is because most apps are still supported unlike vista and xp, and it might speed up my pc a bit because all of my hardware is from the late windows 7/early windows 8 era, so let me know what you think!

It really depends on what you wanna use your computer for. Id say for the most part, both 7 and Vista (with the extended kernel) are solid choices, but 7 is definitely the safer choice of the two. Drivers and software compatibility are the primary concern for the choice between the two.

4 hours ago, マホウ said:

It really depends on what you wanna use your computer for. Id say for the most part, both 7 and Vista (with the extended kernel) are solid choices, but 7 is definitely the safer choice of the two. Drivers and software compatibility are the primary concern for the choice between the two.

Yeah I'll probably choose 7 because most programs still support it and most of my hardware was designed for it

5 hours ago, Centrix8 said:

Yeah I'll probably choose 7 because most programs still support it and most of my hardware was designed for it

The (stilll in early development stage) 7 extended kernel brings some very useful win10/11 programs as well.

19 minutes ago, Eddie Phizika said:

The (stilll in early development stage) 7 extended kernel brings some very useful win10/11 programs as well.

oh really can u send me the thread?

On 6/30/2022 at 10:28 PM, Centrix8 said:

i currently use windows 10 and am thinking to downgrade to windows 7 because it is the last version of windows without all of the microsoft accounts and bloatware, another reason is because most apps are still supported unlike vista and xp, and it might speed up my pc a bit because all of my hardware is from the late windows 7/early windows 8 era, so let me know what you think!

On a Fujitsu notebook, Windows 7 was already preinstalled. I upgraded the hardware, resized the existing partitions, and installed Windows 10 as a second boot partition. By using a boot manager I installed in the Windows 7 partition, in my case it was Boot-US, I can use either Windows 7 or 10 independantly, according to my needs. Therefore I didn't have to decide to give up one of them. Personally, I prefer Windows XP, but if I had to choose between Windows 7 or 10, I would choose Windows 7. In any case, and spoken for me only, it would be a choice between cholera and pest, unfortunately. :yes:  In your case, why not use both? vertsennuie.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper acharne.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 5 weeks later...

FTFY: Should I upgrade to Windows 7* :yes:

If you want to use a true desktop Windows rather than an OS with design inconsistencies (anything after 7), that's the way to go.

I have a very pleasant experience with Windows 7, by the way.

PS: Can you use the caps please? It doesn't look good that way.

Hi @Centrix8. Excluding drivespace limitations mutli-boot is the way to go. Windows 7 will eventually fail too for internet facing applications, just like Windows 9x and XP systems are now.

You're entertaining a downgrade to Windows 7 because of Microsoft accounts and 'bloatware', i would add security concerns and running an OS full of known, and probably much more unknown, spyware.

If Windows 10 isn't agreeable the future of Microsoft OS probably won't be agreeable either. Suggest a triple boot system (or more) and start learning an alternative OS that provides more control and takes you into the future. Perhaps BSD, GNU/Linux or whatever strikes your fancy.