Microsoft will start to annoy us soon!

yoltboy01

On 7/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, Jody Thornton said:

But how are the ESU updates legally obtained?  Are they on the Microsoft Catalog site?

Yeah, updates will be on Catalog site but they will not install without an ESU subscription. Once that is installed, updates will normally install.

Edited by Tripredacus

On 1/6/2023 at 12:03 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Is anyone using Windows Defender on Windows 8 or 8.1? It looks like doomsday is near:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-defender-for-windows-8-and-81

I will say that just now I've updated Defender, and I received definitions created at 3:34 am this morning.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I will say that just now I've updated Defender, and I received definitions created at 3:34 am this morning.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

from now on its going to be a big battle to keep microsoft from slowly ruining everything they see and browsers are getting harder as well

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 10:53 PM, legacyfan said:

from now on its going to be a big battle to keep microsoft from slowly ruining everything they see and browsers are getting harder as well

This battle is with us since the dawn of times. I'm thinking, maybe I also need to buy the ESU licence.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

As of late I have not received automated updated definitions.  Here's what I posted on here and Reddit:

Hey Folks. I'm on Windows 8, using Antimalware Client 4.8.207.0. Over the past two weeks, it has not updated automatically, or when I press the "Update" button in Windows Defender. In the latter case, It says "Searching", and shows a small amount of the percentage bar; then quits. There is no error message. It just goes back to displaying the time and date of the last time Defender was update (as if there was no update available).

I can download the latest definitions and install them myself however. That works. So there's indeed a way to remain updated.

Has anyone else experienced this?

... and then in a secondary comment:

Upon further investigation, I notice the Event Log there's an Schannel Fatal Alert 40. It only happens when I press the update button in Windows Defender. At the same time in the Windows Defender "Operational" Logs, there's an error under Event ID 2001 at the same time.

Microsoft's strategy is to annoy all users of older operating systems in order to get them to switch to their latest operating system. smilie_denk_24.gif They "learnt" from the past to avoid such long support as it was in the case of Windows XP
smilie_g_002.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

My definitions are now 4 days old.   Manual update is not working.  Also, I created a Microsoft account this weekend.  Successful, but when I tried to enter my landline number, it tried to text me a security code.  I do have a cell phone now, but it is for emergency use only.  If I start handing out that number, I might start to get calls on it, which I do not want.