Microsoft will start to annoy us soon!

yoltboy01

With the upcoming End-Of-Life of Windows 8.1, Microsoft decided to annoy us with their ads regarding a Windows Upgrade to Windows 10/11. Furthermore, Microsoft announced that Windows 8.1 will not receive Extended Security Updates (ESU) like Windows 7 did. However, it's Server counterpart Server 2012/2012 R2 will receive ESU till October 2026. I'm curious if these updates could be installed on 8.1 as well, as I remember that it was possible to do so with Windows Vista and Server 2008 R1.

Source: theverge.com/2022/6/24/23181347/microsoft-windows-8-1-end-of-support-notifications-pop-ups

Edited by yoltboy01

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 5:04 PM, yoltboy01 said:

With the upcoming End-Of-Life of Windows 8.1, Microsoft decided to annoy us with their ads regarding a Windows Upgrade to Windows 10/11. Furthermore, Microsoft announced that Windows 8.1 will not receive Extended Security Updates (ESU) like Windows 7 did. However, it's Server counterpart Server 2012/2012 R2 will receive ESU till October 2026. I'm curious if these updates could be installed on 8.1 as well, as I remember that it was possible to do so with Windows Vista and Server 2008 R1.

Source: theverge.com/2022/6/24/23181347/microsoft-windows-8-1-end-of-support-notifications-pop-ups

But how are the ESU updates legally obtained?  Are they on the Microsoft Catalog site?

If Micr0$0ft ending Server 2012 R1 and Server 2012 R2 in October 2026, wich means 8 and 8.1 will receives updates until October 2026 but Server 2008 R1 and Server 2008 R2 will ending in 2023 same as 7 and Vista, Sad 😢

On 7/6/2022 at 7:26 AM, LonghornXP said:

If Micr0$0ft ending Server 2012 R1 and Server 2012 R2 in October 2026, wich means 8 and 8.1 will receives updates until October 2026 but Server 2008 R1 and Server 2008 R2 will ending in 2023 same as 7 and Vista, Sad 😢

No, not exactly.

Windows Thin PC (based on 7) will still receive ESU till October 2024, which means that there will still be some updates released and more than a year and a half updates after Windows 7 ESU ends.

Windows Server 2008 R1 (based on Vista) is eligible for one additional year of ESU (till 2024), if it‘s used in Cloud (I think they call it Azure or something like that..)

I won‘t give any links away but it‘s your choice if you wanna install an ESU-bypass tool or not but that‘s just a quick information regarding the support lifecycle 

On 7/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, Jody Thornton said:

But how are the ESU updates legally obtained?  Are they on the Microsoft Catalog site?

There are ESU-bypass tools but they‘re obviously not legal, since people pay for these updates. It‘s your own choice 

• 3 weeks later...

I got full-screen notifications about upcoming retirement of Windows 8.1 support when I installed the latest Monthly Rollup. Having an option to uninstall this mess and not install at all is great, so I keep installing security-only equivalents of these updates.

• 5 months later...

https://borncity.com/win/2022/07/14/windows-8-1-zeigt-jetzt-warnungen-zum-supportende-im-januar-2023/

just add the following registry entry to disable/turn off the 8.1 EOL notifications after installing any update from July 2022 onward:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify]
"DiscontinueEOS"=dword:00000001

• 2 weeks later...

I think you could use any other antivirus except a couple of German products (Avira and Emsisoft) that have already ended support for 7 and 8.

Edit: McAfee still supports 8.1, but not 8.0 or 7.

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS103148&page=shell&shell=article-view

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Server 2012 Extended security updates are supported till October 2026 and with a bypss tool for certain SKU's like professional should work on client workstations. Now we have to find the ESU bypass tool.