[BREAKTHROUGH] NEW Nvidia drivers ported to Vista. Tutorial.

D.Draker

3 hours ago, winvispixp said:

I guess he wants rtx 20 series support because that's one of the first drivers to include support for them (411.63)

those only stretch up to pascal series

Unfortunately I don't own any rtx 20 series card so it would be impossible to test and see how it performs, even if I decided to mod them. I tried some of the 400 drivers with my Titan 12GB and I didn't like the result . The 400 series drivers are very evil. It's too much junk/crap in them . So like I said , they need at least several areas to be professionally removed/disabled. 

But looking at the drivers, it seems very possible . I remember many folks wrote it's impossible to go beyond the 372.54 , yet I did it .

So I'd say it's possible to go up to 471.xx and then the Vista code was removed.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:55 PM, D.Draker said:

Many years passed and it seemed no one's going to port newer Nvidia drivers to Vista , I decided to do it myself.

Also, I decided to do some contribution to MSFN and took some time to create this tutorial .

As we know , the last officially supported driver was from the early May of 2016 . This one is from 2017 !

Some may say it's a miracle , you betcha !

It took me several weeks to try and test everything and it works flawlessly !

Had to emphasise a bit (due to some folks not seeing the main detalis).

You need to know, I test on a 900 series Titan, and don't know anything about the 1000-series.

You don't need the ex-kernel , I tested on a clean Vista with the updates up to 03.2019.*

*only because we have lots of updates fans .

These are QUADRO drivers and it's not an error !

It's not allowed to share modded copyright protected material here, hence the new topic with the precise instructions follows,

it's easy to do when you know what to do in advance . This may seem like a simple mod , agree , but this is only when someone (me) already performed 

extensive testings on real hardware (not a VM).

Tools you need : CFF Explorer , Universal Extractor and any HEX editor you like. Go and grab here:

https://ntcore.com/?tag=cff-explorer

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/Universal-Extractor-Bioruebe.shtml

Download here 

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115278/en-us/ and extract with Universal Extractor to an empty folder :

DELETE ALL folders , except : Display.Driver , HDAudio, NVI2 , PhysX.

DELETE these Nvidia "telemetry virus" files in NVI2 folder :

NvTelemetry.dll

NVI2SystemService32.sys

NVI2SystemService64.sys

NVNetworkService.exe

NVNetworkServiceAPI.dll

presentations.cfg

progress.htm

presentations.dll

Add your device to the nv_dispwi.inf , also replace NTamd64.6.1 with

NTamd64.6.0  and [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] with [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]

Having difficulties to do so ? Then read . How to Modify NVIDIA Driver .INF Files

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

Now open Display.Driver and extract these with Universal Extractor to another folder:

nvlddmkm.sy_

nvd3dum.dl_

nvd3dumx.dl_

nvwgf2um.dl_

nvwgf2umx.dl_

PATCHING :

nvlddmkm.sys - go to offset D571F0 and replace 

FF84C0740AB8BB0000C0 with FFEB24740AB8BB0000C0, save then open in CFF Explorer

go to import directory : ntoskernel.exe and replace 

KeQueryLogicalProcessorRelationship

with

KeQueryMaximumProcessorCount

memcpy_s

with

memcpy

In CFF Explorer go to rebuilder and REMOVE the checkmark with "PE header" , but select "update checksum", click on rebuild  and save.

The other four files - go to import directory : kernel 32

K32EnumProcessModules

replace with

GetProcAddress

K32GetModuleFileNameExA

replace with

GetModuleFileNameA

REMOVE the checkmark with "PE header" , but select "update checksum",click on rebuild  and save.

RENAME all five patched files to 

nvlddmkm.sy_

nvd3dum.dl_

nvd3dumx.dl_

nvwgf2um.dl_

nvwgf2umx.dl_

and place them them to Display.Driver .

DISCLAIMER 

Some might not like the use of additional software that may or may not be flagged by their KGB/FSB "antivirus". 

Per various sources , including me , permanent disabling of drivers signature enforcement is just not possible

since Vista , so you'd have to use Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b and I'm not resposible in any way !

HOW TO INSTALL the modded driver .

Run CMD as ADMIN

bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON

bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on

Reboot , install the  driver. Do NOT restart . Run Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider and choose "sign a system driver".

Sign all three !

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nvlddmkm.sys

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvd3dum.dll

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nvd3dumx.dll

Reboot , go and play.

Optional :

Run RemoveWatermarkX64 to remove the "test mode" watermark . REBOOT.

Special thanks to the advisor @win32, who pointed out the location of the version checks in the previous driver (376.11-in the first pic. ), which I finally decided not to use since I found a much better and

newer driver 376.84 from the year 2017 (in the pics. from 2 to 6).

If you share this topic , don't forget to tag me. @D.Draker.

Final thoughts : Vista lives.

376.png

DX11.gif

CUDA.gif

Panel.png

API.png

84.gif

377.83 Ti_DX11.gif

377.83 Ti.gif

377.83.gif

Does this method work with 382.33 too ?

3 hours ago, bromogatos309 said:

So not a chance for gt 1030 , right ?

I don't know 'cause I don't have it . I have all top of the line from the 900 and 700 series . 

3 hours ago, bromogatos309 said:

You may try to mod the latest 377.83 and check it for yourself . Follow the guide. Some say it won't work . Some say it may.

23 hours ago, winvispixp said:

I guess he wants rtx 20 series support because that's one of the first drivers to include support for them (411.63)

those only stretch up to pascal series

Perhaps he might want to ask there, it's a user with an RTX card and looks like he knows how to use HEX.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/179590-nvidia-geforce-rtx-error-code-43-on-windows-10-version-1607/

Edited by D.Draker
looks like he knows

On 7/9/2022 at 4:47 PM, bromogatos309 said:

The first driver (official) for G1030 was 382.16 . And it has the dreaded wcsncpy_s which is quite hard to replace. It seems simple in theory and on paper, but when you try to boot the PC - BSOD.

So you may try your luck with the 377.83 because it has support for a similar low spex 2GB card - GT1050 .

16 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I don't see enough appreciation for my unique project , so I might be slowing down the development.

See ya.

Sorry to hear that, I read, but of course, it's beyond the scope of my knowledge. It does appear little interest in Vista development on here as of late :(

Edited by XPerceniol

On 7/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, XPerceniol said:

Sorry to hear that, I read, but of course, it's beyond the scope of my knowledge. It does appear little interest in Vista development on here as of late :(

Thank you for your support ! All I tried to say , I've been observing quite a big bunch of folks wanted newer drivers for Vista and after I ported them - silence.

Which leads me to assume they are satisfied with the latest ported version 377.83 from 2018. Yes , I read the one quesion about 411.xx but we need testers 

with proper hardware , some skills and time, and it looks like there's none , like you said.

BTW , @win32 , the 382.xx series still have the version checks , despite what you wrote earlier in your topic . For 382.16 it's at the offset 0D6C670.

Link to this first 1030 driver :

https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2017/05/69d247ea-bb5a-4ff2-bc17-6756fb8d50f2_40cfabb22dae1d738e73c214d953b95c27c27211.cab

From the off. MS docs wcsncpy_s is just a more "secure" version of wcsncpy , but doesn't look that simple . 

I hadn't been able to pay much attention to this as I was trying to correct another shortcoming that applies to all drivers: lack of DirectX kernel functions to run Vulkan.

Then I tried running several OpenGL samples I built and noticed that 372.70 could not run them if they were x64, just x86.

So in the coming days I will try an early 38x driver to replace this one.