Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

8 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

uBlock doesn't seem to work despite being correctly installed

uBlock Origin works perfectly in Mypal 68. The last compatible version is uBlock Origin 1.46. I use this version in my installation without any problems. All more recent versions need FF 78+. I already wrote about this extension here: 

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

16 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

my first impression, chrome360 still runs much smoother and I have gotten another BSOD

I can't confirm that. :no: 360Chrome 13.5 doesn't run smoother than Mypal 68 on my system. And I never had any BSOD while using Mypal 68:no:

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

either world's luckiest man or everyone else is wrong then.

No, but I use Mypal 68 in single-process mode. In multiprocess mode, your chance to get a BSOD is much better. :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper

26 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

let's see what @NotHereToPlayGames has to say in this regard...

What can he say? Has he ever used or tested my system? No. Therefore, he can't say anything regarding my system, unfortunately. smilie_denk_24.gif And BTW, if you want to post interesting facts about Mypal 68 here in terms of extensions or custom buttons, or maybe about the new nightly build, you are welcome here at any time. But any comparisons with other browsers are off-topic, unfortunately. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

20 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I use Mypal 68 in single-process mode. In multiprocess mode, your chance to get a BSOD is much better. :buehehe:

I use the multi process function ever since it was made available for the original FF52. it works so much smoother than any other crap updated fork.
also that was the only reason why I dropped the sluggish Mypal28 in favor of the Serpent52... @roytam1

19 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

if you want to post interesting facts about Mypal 68 here in terms of extensions or custom buttons, or maybe about the new nightly build, you are welcome here at any time.

I need a smooth scroll-like feature for Mypal68.

9 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I use the multi process function ever since it was made available for the original FF52. it works so much smoother than any other crap updated fork.
also that was the only reason why I dropped the sluggish Mypal28 in favor of the Serpent52... @roytam1

AFAIAA, all people who posted about BSODs on the issues of GitHub, were using Mypal 68 in multiprocess mode. I think this is the main reason for a BSOD in Mypal 68. Maybe, it will work in the final release of Mypal 68 whenever it comes. smilie_denk_24.gif

4 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I think this is the main reason for a BSOD in Mypal 68. Maybe, it will work in the final release of Mypal 68 whenever it comes. smilie_denk_24.gif

another BSOD when closing a tab... :realmad:

I am just about to throw in the towel. this browser is pretty unstable to me.

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for the link! I already knew this source for userscripts. But where did you find a link to Tab Mix Plus on this site? I can't see any there. :dubbio: AFAIK, there is just this pre-release of Tab Mix Plus in form of a webextension: Tab Mix Plus v1.0.0-pre, available on their homepage https://tabmixplus.org/, but unfortunately only for FF 78+.

Sorry, got 68/78 mixed up. But yeah, that's the one, also linked here (GitHub page). It's not a webextension though, it's a legacy bootstrapped extension that depends on hacky re-enabling of loading of these types of extensions.

FWIW, I've test driven MyPal when it was new on my XP x64 installation in multi-process mode, when first reports of BSOD started appearing, didn't BSOD on me once, and I've made it use all availabe RAM to the point pagefile usage naturally increased. I only encountered one specific crash of the browser, which could be worked-around with Microsoft's own compatibility shim IgnoreException. From what I recall, the exception indicating access violation had to be ignored. I found it interesting since unhandled memory access violations are often fatal and the program usually doesn't recover from it just like that.

That said, my PC has top notch driver support for XP x64.

Edit: Actually, not sure I'm remembering exception correctly. Maybe it was illegal instruction...UD2...encountered with sites using Web Assembly.

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

uBlock Origin works perfectly in Mypal 68. The last compatible version is uBlock Origin 1.46.

I removed the 1.47 version and installed the 1.46 one instead.
it works somewhat better although not as good as it does with all other browsers

46 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

another BSOD when closing a tab... :realmad:

I am just about to throw in the towel. this browser is pretty unstable to me.

Once again, I can open or close tabs in Mypal 68 without any problems. Never observed any BSODs in single-process mode. :no: In this mode, Mypal 68 is totally stable. :thumbup If you have any problems, report it in the issues on GitHub!

Edited by AstroSkipper

30 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I removed the 1.47 version and installed the 1.46 one instead.

Just to clarify! You can't have installed uBlock Origin 1.47 in Mypal 68. It is not compatible. It needs FF 78+. I really don't know what you did. Even if you have modified uBlock Origin 1.47 to make it install in Mypal 68, it won't work. Gorhill changed the minimum version not without reason. scratch-one-s-head.gif

29 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

If you have any problems, report it in the issues on GitHub.

so I did back in the day. I just checked the BSOD logs with BlueScreenView

win32k.sys and ntoskrnl.exe seem to be the files that trigger the BSOD

with chrome I also have suffered some BSOD from the original 49 up to date but it's something I can live with from time to time.