Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

44 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Two posts above I provided a solution how to move the tab bar below the bookmarks bar, more or less only for you. What about that?

Unfortunately, I haven't got it yet to try it.

13 minutes ago, Anbima said:

Thanks.
Is not yet optimal.

Screenshot.jpg

You can adjust that by editing the CSS code. Have a look into the CSS referencecours1.gif At the moment, there is no other way. No extension like Classic Theme Restorer for the legacy browsers Serpent 52 or Firefox 52:no: Frankly, I do not need that. My tab bar will stay above the address bar. :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Thanks for the performance tweaks and SuperStop button, I'm looking forward to apply these when I get to the XP machine.
For the extensions, I think uBlock Origin is a better solution (low resource usage) on low end machines.
And this is the translator extension I use:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imtranslator/
It has some features like Inline translator, which will translate the selected text and put it next to the original.

Inline Translator in action (On my main PC & Firefox 105 though):

inlinetrans.jpg.e285ef4ed5c5956df675f3f14c045fac.jpg

Edit: Hmm, I've found something about Adblocker Ultimate:

Edited by SC7601
Addition of Adblocker Ultimate find

On 9/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, SC7601 said:

Thanks for the performance tweaks and SuperStop button, I'm looking forward to apply these when I get to the XP machine.

You're welcome! OT: BTW, what about your offer weeks ago? question.gif

On 8/24/2022 at 12:22 AM, SC7601 said:

By the way @AstroSkipper, if I didn't understand wrong, do you need a tester with a period-correct hardware? (for testing hardware load) Because I have that and would be able to test (if old Chrome still is able to render web sites properly though... :dubbio:) I have a Pentium 4 though, and it even has SSE3 (but cannot say it's too powerful though... at the end it's Pentium 4 :D)

For the extensions, I think uBlock Origin is a better solution (low resource usage) on low end machines.

uBlock Origin is my favourite ad blocker extension. Unfortunately, there is a real problem with its compatibility, Therefore, I can't use the more recent ones in Mypal 68 on my old system. I'll post about these problems very soon.

And this is the translator extension I use:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imtranslator/

The extension Simple Translate is easy to use and works perfectly. Of course, I know the extension ImTranslator as well. I use it in the New Moon 28. The quality of the translations is better in Simple Translate, though, and ImTranslator is much too bloated for my taste. Basically, ImTranslator is an interesting extension for translating and offers many features. Anyway, to each their own! I recommend Simple Translatessupercool2.gif
https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1225646

Edit: Hmm, I've found something about Adblocker Ultimate:

The advantage of Adblocker Ultimate is that it works like a charme in Mypal 68 from the very first, and its most recent version is compatible with my system. BTW, most of the ad blocker use the same filters like Adguard's lists, Easylist, Fanboy's lists, and so on. uBlock Origin does it, too:yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper captain.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

16 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

You're welcome! OT: BTW, what about your offer weeks ago? question.gif

I simply didn't have a use for it :angel Currently I use the browsers which works without needing the functionality of TLS 1.3 proxy. I have a second WinXP install though, without TLS 1.2 updates. I wanted to try it in that install, but I had to download it from this installation because I didn't want to mess with configuring some browser! (laziness shows up :D) And, I don't want to boot it up anymore as the reason of installation was I couldn't boot up this one after I've installed Linux (I just had to edit boot.ini, but I found it out later).

20 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

uBlock Origin is my favourite ad blocker extension. Unfortunately, there is a real problem with its compatibility, Therefore, I can't use the more recent ones in Mypal 68 on my old system. I'll post about these problems very soon.

I think I know the reason: the setting you shared (dom.moduleScripts.enabled false) breaks uBlock Origin. It also crashes the browser eventually (I think it's because of uBO as well).
Without that setting set to false, I can use uBlock Origin without any problems (But the version is 1.42.4, while it's 1.44.4 in my main PC's browser Firefox 105).

Addition: Oh wait, it's because Mypal doesn't support auto-updating of extensions and I installed it before the update. If I reinstall it, then it should work fine too.

26 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

The extension Simple Translate is easy to use and works perfectly. Of course, I know the extension ImTranslator as well. I use it in the New Moon 28. The quality of the translations is better in Simple Translate, though, and ImTranslator is much too bloated for my taste. Basically, ImTranslator is an interesting extension for translating and offers many features. Anyway, to each their own! I recommend Simple Translatessupercool2.gif
https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1225646

Does it have an In-Line Translator though? It's the only feature I'd use (apart from full page translate). (Oh wait I should be able to check it, right? :P)

4 hours ago, SC7601 said:
5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I think I know the reason: the setting you shared (dom.moduleScripts.enabled false) breaks uBlock Origin. It also crashes the browser eventually (I think it's because of uBO as well).
Without that setting set to false, I can use uBlock Origin without any problems (But the version is 1.42.4, while it's 1.44.4 in my main PC's browser Firefox 105).

Addition: Oh wait, it's because Mypal doesn't support auto-updating of extensions and I installed it before the update. If I reinstall it, then it should work fine too.

Unfortunately, you are on the wrong way. It's more hardware related. As I already said, I will post about these problems very soon.

4 hours ago, SC7601 said:

Does it have an In-Line Translator though? It's the only feature I'd use (apart from full page translate). (Oh wait I should be able to check it, right? :P)

No, as far as I know, and I don't need that feature, either. But, as I posted above, ImTranslator is an interesting extension for translating and offers many features. Each to their own! I love the good and simple ones, and that means in my case Simple Translate:P

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

On 9/26/2022 at 5:23 PM, AstroSkipper said:
On 9/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, SC7601 said:
On 9/26/2022 at 3:51 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Unfortunately, you are on the wrong way. It's more hardware related. As I already said, I will post about these problems very soon.

@SC7601! I have to correct my statement. You are right! ssupercool2.gif I have retested uBlock Origin 1.44.4 in Mypal 68 and can confirm your observation. Setting the variable dom.moduleScripts.enabled to false breaks the most recent version of uBlock Origin 1.44.4 in Mypal 68.12.5b. This setting was helpful in getting the new interface of VirusTotal to work in previous versions of Mypal 68. But in the latest version, Mypal 68.12.5b, it has no positive effect anymore and has become useless. Therefore, I recommend to set the variable dom.moduleScripts.enabled back to its default value of true. :yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 9/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Mypal 68 on low performance systems with an amount less than 2 GB of RAM

My Windows XP computer is equipped with an old Pentium 4 single core CPU and only 1.5 GB of RAM. And, it's just SD-RAM. If you want to use the browser Mypal 68 on such old, low performance systems with less than 2 GB of RAM, then I have some tips for you.

1. Let Mypal 68 run in single process mode only! Here are the settings to do that:
    set browser.tabs.remote.autostart from true to false -> single process mode
    set dom.ipc.processCount to value 3 -> single process mode
    set dom.ipc.processCount.webLargeAllocation to value 3 -> single process mode (additionally)
    set dom.noopener.newprocess.enabled from true to false -> single process mode (additionally)
  2. Modify the following preference settings via about:config to reduce the RAM usage of Mypal 68 and improve its functionality:
    set dom.moduleScripts.enabled to true -> uBlock Origin 1.44.4 needs this setting to work in Mypal 68.12.5b
    set layout.css.resizeobserver.enabled from false to true -> DevianArt, GitHub Gifs
    set layers.acceleration.disabled from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set layers.max-active from -1 to 1 -> reduce RAM usage
    set dom.ipc.processPrelaunch.enabled from true to false -> reduce RAM usage
    set javascript.options.discardSystemSource from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set extensions.webextensions.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set extensions.webextensions.protocol.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Flash crash reporting
    set dom.vr.process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Virtual Reality components
    set layers.gpu-process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for GPU rendering
    set media.gpu-process-decoder from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for video decoding
    set toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled from true to false -> Disable Unnecessary Animations
    set browser.download.saveLinkAsFilenameTimeout from 4000 to 2000 ->  Increasing or decreasing "Save Link As" Timeout Value
    set browser.sessionhistory.max_entries from 50 to 10 ->  Reduce Firefox Session History

Note: Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled from true to false to get VirusTotal's new interface working again has become obsolete. VirusTotal doesn't work anymore in Mypal 68.12.5b. Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled back to its default value of true is required to use the more recent versions of uBlock Origin in Mypal 68.12.5b.

3. Use an ad blocker like AdBlocker Ultimate. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1220379
  4. Use additionally a script blocker like uMatrix. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1225663
  5. During a browser session, clean up occupied RAM, which is no longer used by Mypal 68, by using the custom button memoryMinimizationButton from time to time or if necessary. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1220511
  6. Stop unwanted animations in the browser by using the extension SuperStop. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1221177
  7. Clear the browser cache from time to time. If you want to do this easily, use the extension Forget Button - Clean your Browser which can clean in Mypal 68 much more than only the cache. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1220337
  8. Run the tool Firemin Portable 6.3.1.5105 in the background. You have to condigure it to let it reduce the RAM usage of mypal.exeDownload link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/34exiyav9zcoxkp/Firemin_5105.zip/file

All these measures have helped me to run Mypal 68 more smoothly and in a more resource-efficient way on my system. ssupercool2.gif

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Update notification! update.gif

The article "Mypal 68 on low performance systems with an amount less than 2 GB of RAM" has been updated with regard to a new recommended setting of the variable dom.moduleScripts.enabled.

Cheers, AstroSkipper byeby2.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Thank you and I'm glad I caught this, I've been using Mypal 68 and enjoying the experience.

I've been trying the following:

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0");

This was giving me good results up until a week ago, and I've been trying:

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:104.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/104.0");

This, mainly, because I'm still trying to watch videos in the browser ... Yeah; I know :rolleyes:

Although I don't use private browsing, I do have the following prefs set to:

user_pref("browser.cache.disk.capacity", 0);
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.enable", false);
user_pref("browser.cache.offline.capacity", 0);
user_pref("browser.cache.offline.enable", false);

user_pref("browser.sessionhistory.max_entries", 3);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.interval", 30000);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo", 3);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.privacy_level", 2);

browser.tabs.unloadOnLowMemory;true

browser.tabs.animate;false

Edited by XPerceniol

19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@SC7601! I have to correct my statement. You are right! ssupercool2.gif I have retested uBlock Origin 1.44.4 in Mypal 68 and can confirm your observation. Setting the variable dom.moduleScripts.enabled to false breaks the most recent version of uBlock Origin 1.44.4 in Mypal 68.12.5b. This setting was helpful in getting the new interface of VirusTotal to work in previous versions of Mypal 68. But in the latest version Mypal 68.12.5b, it has no  positive effect anymore and has become useless. Therefore, I recommend to set the varaiable dom.moduleScripts.enabled back to its default value of true. :yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Glad to help. I also want to say that ShadowFox works on this browser. It is a must for me since dark theme doesn't work browser-wide. You must download Windows x32 version and place it in Application Data\Mypal68. To install, run it, select your profile folder (go to about:profiles to find out if there's more than one), press TAB to select the other options, and finally select Install. After the installation, you can delete the executable file. But you may want to backup your userChrome.css if you have applied custom modifications as explained in this thread, since it replaces it too.

uBlock Origin

uBlock Origin (uBO) is not an "ad blocker", it's a wide-spectrum content blocker with CPU and memory efficiency as a primary feature.
Out of the box, uBO blocks ads, trackers, coin miners, popups, etc. through the following lists of filters, enabled by default:

• EasyList (ads)
  • EasyPrivacy (tracking)
  • Peter Lowe’s Ad server list (ads and tracking)
  • Online Malicious URL Blocklist
  • uBO's own lists
  • More lists are available for you to select if you wish:
  • EasyList Cookie
  • Fanboy Annoyances
  • AdGuard Annoyances
  • Dan Pollock’s hosts file
  • And many others

Additionally, you can point-and-click to block JavaScript locally or globally, create your own global or local rules to override entries from filter lists, and many more advanced features.
uBlock Origin is and was my favourite content blocker. But, to get the more recent versions running in Mypal 68, you have to set the variable dom.moduleScripts.enabled to the default value of true. If not, it will break the gui of uBO. Tested version: 1.46
Here is uBO's wikihttps://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki
And the following link opens a short guide: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/software-reviews/ublock-origin-the-ultimate-review-and-guide/

Download link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Mypal 68 on low performance systems with an amount less than 2 GB of RAM

My Windows XP computer is equipped with an old Pentium 4 single core CPU and only 1.5 GB of RAM. And, it's just SD-RAM. If you want to use the browser Mypal 68 on such old, low performance systems with less than 2 GB of RAM, then I have some tips for you.

1. Let Mypal 68 run in single process mode only! Here are the settings to do that:
    set browser.tabs.remote.autostart from true to false -> single process mode
    set dom.ipc.processCount to value 3 -> single process mode
    set dom.ipc.processCount.webLargeAllocation to value 3 -> single process mode (additionally)
    set dom.noopener.newprocess.enabled from true to false -> single process mode (additionally)
  2. Modify the following preference settings via about:config to reduce the RAM usage of Mypal 68 and improve its functionality:
    set dom.moduleScripts.enabled to true -> uBlock Origin 1.44.4 needs this setting to work in Mypal 68.12.5b
    set layout.css.resizeobserver.enabled from false to true -> DevianArt, GitHub Gifs
    set layers.acceleration.disabled from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set layers.max-active from -1 to 1 -> reduce RAM usage
    set dom.ipc.processPrelaunch.enabled from true to false -> reduce RAM usage
    set javascript.options.discardSystemSource from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set extensions.webextensions.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set extensions.webextensions.protocol.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Flash crash reporting
    set dom.vr.process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Virtual Reality components
    set layers.gpu-process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for GPU rendering
    set media.gpu-process-decoder from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for video decoding
    set toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled from true to false -> Disable Unnecessary Animations
    set browser.download.saveLinkAsFilenameTimeout from 4000 to 2000 ->  Increasing or decreasing "Save Link As" Timeout Value
    set browser.sessionhistory.max_entries from 50 to 10 ->  Reduce Firefox Session History

Note: Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled from true to false to get VirusTotal's new interface working again has become obsolete. VirusTotal doesn't work anymore in Mypal 68.12.5b. Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled back to its default value of true is required to use the more recent versions of uBlock Origin in Mypal 68.12.5b.

3. Use an ad blocker like uBlock Origin. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1227008
  4. Use additionally a script blocker like uMatrix. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1225663
  5. During a browser session, clean up occupied RAM, which is no longer used by Mypal 68, by using the custom button memoryMinimizationButton from time to time or if necessary. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1220511
  6. Stop unwanted animations in the browser by using the extension SuperStop. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1221177
  7. Clear the browser cache from time to time. If you want to do this easily, use the extension Forget Button - Clean your Browser which can clean in Mypal 68 much more than only the cache. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1220337
  8. Run the tool Firemin Portable 6.3.1.5105 in the background. You have to condigure it to let it reduce the RAM usage of mypal.exeDownload link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/34exiyav9zcoxkp/Firemin_5105.zip/file

All these measures have helped me to run Mypal 68 more smoothly and in a more resource-efficient way on my system. ssupercool2.gif

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Update notification! update.gif

The article "Mypal 68 on low performance systems with an amount less than 2 GB of RAM" has been updated with regard to uBlock Origin as the new, recommended ad blocker extension. The RAM consumption is much less than in the case of the extension AdBlocker Ultimate. Mypal 68 behaves much smoother and less sluggish on my old computer. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi1fun.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

IndicateTLS

In my article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use", I wrote a lot about the TLS protocols and their cipher suites. This article can be found here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183352-proxhttpsproxy-and-httpsproxy-in-windows-xp-for-future-use/. In the section "4. The TLS protocols and their cipher suites" of this article, you can read about this stuff.
Now, I've found a perfect extension to display in Mypal 68 the used TLS protocol and cipher suite of the currently visited website. IndicateTLS displays negotiated SSL/TLS protocol version and additional security information in the address bar. This extension uses the new SecurityInfo-API in Firefox to display information about the transport security used on the sites you visit. The TLS protocol version is displayed by an icon in the address bar. More detailed information can be viewed by clicking on that icon, particularly to display the TLS protocol version of 3rd party servers that the website you are visiting fetches resources from. Here is an image of its pop-up window:

231410.jpg?modified=1622134320

In my opinion, IndicateTLS is a great extension to get deeper security information about the visited websites. Tested version: 0.3.0

Download link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/indicatetls/

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content