Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Thank you for the reminder. I don't think he visits the other XP Forum either.

You're welcome! Just to be clear, I didn't say he'd never visit this forum or the Mypal 68 threads. @feodor2 said he would come around here from time to time whatever that means. :) Here is a quotation from @Jody Thornton's MyPal 68 thread:

On 6/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, feodor2 said:

Hello

I occasionally look here, but foremost i look on the github.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

For now, I've decided to stick with Firefox ESR 102.  My interest in MyPal 68 wasn't to run it with XP.  I simply wanted a Quantum era browser that worked with Windows 8, prior to the Proton UI changes in v91.  I was also hoping for an x64 build, but for now I've stuck with Firefox ESR.

The progress you guys have made seems amazing though.

Simple Translate

Quickly translate selected or typed text on web pages. Supports Google Translate and DeepL API. Tested version: 2.8.0
For using the DeepL API you have to register a free account. Unfortunately, the use of this API is a bit limited. The operators want to earn money, of course. Therefore, it is a good idea to use their web service additionally. Here is the link: https://www.deepl.com/translator
Anyway, the extension  Simple Translate is the best I could find and works like a charme.
Download link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-translate/

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 minutes ago, mina7601 said:
12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Simple Translate

Quickly translate selected or typed text on web pages. Supports Google Translate and DeepL API. Tested version: 2.8.0

Download link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-translate/

Oh, thank you for this extension!

You're welcome! :)

uMatrix

uMatrix is a content blocker at its best. Point & click to forbid/allow any class of requests made by your browser. Use it to block scripts, iframes, ads, facebook, etc. Tested version: 1.4.4
Here is the wiki: https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/wiki
And the following link opens a nice beginner's guide: https://proprivacy.com/privacy-service/guides/lifehacks-setup-umatrix-beginners

Download link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Mypal 68 on low performance systems with an amount less than 2 GB of RAM

My Windows XP computer is equipped with an old Pentium 4 single core CPU and only 1.5 GB of RAM. And, it's just SD-RAM. If you want to use the browser Mypal 68 on such old, low performance systems with less than 2 GB of RAM, then I have some tips for you.

1. Let Mypal 68 run in single process mode only! Here are the settings to do that:
    set browser.tabs.remote.autostart from true to false -> single process mode
    set dom.ipc.processCount to value 3 -> single process mode
    set dom.ipc.processCount.webLargeAllocation to value 3 -> single process mode (additionally)
    set dom.noopener.newprocess.enabled from true to false -> single process mode (additionally)
  2. Modify the following preference settings via about:config to reduce the RAM usage of Mypal 68 and improve its functionality:
    set dom.moduleScripts.enabled to true -> uBlock Origin 1.44.4 needs this setting to work in Mypal 68.12.5b
    set layout.css.resizeobserver.enabled from false to true -> DevianArt, GitHub Gifs
    set layers.acceleration.disabled from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set layers.max-active from -1 to 1 -> reduce RAM usage
    set dom.ipc.processPrelaunch.enabled from true to false -> reduce RAM usage
    set javascript.options.discardSystemSource from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set extensions.webextensions.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set extensions.webextensions.protocol.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Flash crash reporting
    set dom.vr.process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Virtual Reality components
    set layers.gpu-process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for GPU rendering
    set media.gpu-process-decoder from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for video decoding
    set toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled from true to false -> Disable Unnecessary Animations
    set browser.download.saveLinkAsFilenameTimeout from 4000 to 2000 ->  Increasing or decreasing "Save Link As" Timeout Value
    set browser.sessionhistory.max_entries from 50 to 10 ->  Reduce Firefox Session History

Note: Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled from true to false to get VirusTotal's new interface working again has become obsolete. VirusTotal doesn't work anymore in Mypal 68.12.5b. Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled back to its default value of true is required to use the more recent versions of uBlock Origin in Mypal 68.12.5b.

3. Use an ad blocker like uBlock Origin. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1227008
  4. Use additionally a script blocker like uMatrix. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1225663
  5. During a browser session, clean up occupied RAM, which is no longer used by Mypal 68, by using the custom button memoryMinimizationButton from time to time or if necessary. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1220511
  6. Stop unwanted animations in the browser by using the extension SuperStop. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1221177
  7. Clear the browser cache from time to time. If you want to do this easily, use the extension Forget Button - Clean your Browser which can clean in Mypal 68 much more than only the cache. Link: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1220337
  8. Run the tool Firemin Portable 6.3.1.5105 in the background. You have to condigure it to let it reduce the RAM usage of mypal.exeDownload link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/34exiyav9zcoxkp/Firemin_5105.zip/file

All these measures have helped me to run Mypal 68 more smoothly and in a more resource-efficient way on my system. ssupercool2.gif

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 9/8/2022 at 11:20 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Modify the following preference settings via about:config to reduce the RAM usage of Mypal 68 and improve its functionality:

1. set dom.moduleScripts.enabled from true to false -> VirusTotal, new interface
    set layout.css.resizeobserver.enabled from false to true -> DevianArt, GitHub Gifs
    set layers.acceleration.disabled from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set layers.max-active from -1 to 1 -> reduce RAM usage
    set dom.ipc.processPrelaunch.enabled from true to false -> reduce RAM usage
    set javascript.options.discardSystemSource from false to true -> reduce RAM usage
    set extensions.webextensions.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set extensions.webextensions.protocol.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons
    set dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Flash crash reporting
    set dom.vr.process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Virtual Reality components
    set layers.gpu-process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for GPU rendering
    set media.gpu-process-decoder from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for video decoding
    set toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled from true to false -> Disable Unnecessary Animations
    set browser.download.saveLinkAsFilenameTimeout from 4000 to 2000 ->  Increasing or decreasing "Save Link As" Timeout Value
    set browser.sessionhistory.max_entries from 50 to 10 ->  Reduce Firefox Session History

Hi @AstroSkipper and hope all is well.

Other than me using multi process on Mypal ... I found your settings to improve speed.

browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo;3

browser.sessionhistory.max_entries;3

browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo;3 (default)

browser.sessionstore.interval;30000

EDIT:

I disable virtual reality completely.

Would you give your opinion on the following default prefs; do you leave them at their defaults?

media.av1.use-dav1d;false

media.av1.enabled;true

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by XPerceniol

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Would you give your opinion on the following default prefs; do you leave them at their defaults?

media.av1.use-dav1d;false

media.av1.enabled;true

Thanks in advance :)

VLC, Videolan and FFmpeg communities worked on and created a reference optimized decoder for AV1, it is dav1d. Mozilla has enabled the new decoder in Firefox 67 on Windows. Firefox. and therefore Mypal 68, too, now uses dav1d for decoding AV1 videos. This decoder can be enabled by setting the preference media.av1.use-dav1d to true. If you watch such videos in Mypal 68, it should presumably be set to the boolean value of true. Try it! It's always trial and error. And the other setting, I would leave at true. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 2 weeks later...

Move the tab bar below the bookmarks bar

After some changes in the past, the tab bar was moved above the address bar as its new default position. To revert this change in Mypal 68, you have to modify the file userChrome.css.
Requirements: Download package MYPAL_68_CB_requirements.7z in the first post of this thread. Read carefully what I wrote about Custom Buttons requirements in Mypal 68!
After closing Mypal 68, add the following code to the file userChrome.css at its end:

#TabsToolbar {
 position: absolute;
 display: block;
 bottom: 0;
 width: 100vw;
 background-clip: padding-box;
 color: var(--toolbar-color);
 } 
#tabbrowser-tabs {
 width: 100vw;
 } 
#navigator-toolbox {
 position: relative;
 padding-bottom: calc( var(--tab-min-height) + 8px );
} 
#main-window[tabsintitlebar][sizemode="maximized"]:not([inDOMFullscreen="true"]) #titlebar {
 height: 36px;
 } 
.titlebar-buttonbox-container { 
position: fixed;
 right: 0;
 visibility: visible;
 display: block;
 }
 #TabsToolbar .titlebar-buttonbox-container,
 #TabsToolbar #window-controls {
display: none;
 }

Start the browser again, and you should notice the tab bar is located below the address and bookmarks bar from now on.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi1fun.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

@Anbima! Two posts above I provided a solution how to move the tab bar below the bookmarks bar, more or less only for you. What about that? Do you think it is much fun to post solutions without any feedback? Instead of responding to such solutions in any way, I can only read one of your next questions. Maybe, you should just rethink about it! idee.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper drwurmdin.gif