What will you do after Windows 7 ESU ends?

forgamezcz

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I wish there was a way to place three DOZEN upvotes!  The BEST thing that Chrome ever did, in my opinion, was the --ignore-certificate-errors startup flag!

I would really love to understand where do people base their claims that accepting http, visiting certificate issue-ridden websites for a little while, using older operating systems, automatically risk you to a huge financial loss-private life damage-data loss-ransomware or whatever because well, it is said so. It seems to me like one of many dogmas and ideological tendencies inside computer science which are questionable, unilaterally imposed by companies in their half-cartels, and mostly to deal with simpler users and people who do not have a technical support in their homes to manage their machines or networks, or as a masquerading reason for obscure intentions. I can cite the idea of google to kill cookies.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

52 minutes ago, Eddie Phizika said:

I would really love to understand where do people base their claims . . .

Agreed.  For nostalgia, I was reading my own posts regarding "ssl padlock" and "secure DNS" and "certificate errors" over at the Proxomitron Forum and I find it hillarious that everything the Proxo community was saying way back in 2009 is still true to this day.

Web browser "ssl" has been a FLAWED technology since its inception!

19 hours ago, Eddie Phizika said:

I would really love to understand where do people base their claims that accepting http, visiting certificate issue-ridden websites for a little while, using older operating systems, automatically risk you to a huge financial loss-private life damage-data loss-ransomware or whatever because well, it is said so. It seems to me like one of many dogmas and ideological tendencies inside computer science which are questionable, unilaterally imposed by companies in their half-cartels, and mostly to deal with simpler users and people who do not have a technical support in their homes to manage their machines or networks, or as a masquerading reason for obscure intentions. I can cite the idea of google to kill cookies.

What does it have to do with 

"What will you do after Windows 7 ESU ends?"

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I have a "official" Pale Moon + Stylem version floating around somewhere in my archives where my Stylem style sheet reconfigured the address bar to not display the "padlock" AT ALL!

You can do whatever you want , but doesn't mean you have to derail every topic with your anti-https/anti-certificates statements.

19 hours ago, Eddie Phizika said:

I would really love to understand where do people base their claims that accepting http, visiting certificate issue-ridden websites....

And more importantly , you're giving a very DANGEROUS advice to ordinary people . Using HTTP means all of your data is being read by third parties. 

Hell , even HTTPS is subject to MITM.

These days one must use anti-quantum PC flags to prevent it. 

EDIT :

There are loads of countries with oppresive regimes where using your "advice" could cost one his life .

Edited by D.Draker

21 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

You can do whatever you want , but doesn't mean you have to derail every topic with your anti-https/anti-certificates statements.

Too funny.  You don't like the "competition"?  I'm just messin'.

There's really only 15 to 25 active members here at MSFN.  HALF of which, like you and me BOTH, have our "bored" days and derail without realizing it until a day or two later, "Oops, why did I post that?"

And no, "predicting" your reply, I'm not planning on hunting them down.  Something about never arguing with folks that LIKE to argue.  We BOTH have our days.

No worries though (this is no longer my "home", but still enjoy the "company" when I do drop by).  It's like that EVERYWHERE.  Whether we care to admit to it or not  :ph34r:

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Too funny.  You don't like the "competition"?  I'm just messin'.

There's really only 15 to 25 active members here at MSFN.  HALF of which, like you and me BOTH, have our "bored" days and derail without realizing it until a day or two later, "Oops, why did I post that?"

And no, "predicting" your reply, I'm not planning on hunting them down.  Something about never arguing with folks that LIKE to argue.  We BOTH have our days.

No worries though (this is no longer my "home", but still enjoy the "company" when I do drop by).  It's like that EVERYWHERE.  Whether we care to admit to it or not  :ph34r:

You got me wrong , totally wrong ! I enjoy your company . But you say it TOO OFTEN in various places, Like an old lady who tends to forget things.

We HEAR you , you don't like them. Again , we HEAR you, lol. But this could be dangerous for the others . Not everyone lives in a quet place/state like yours.

Got me now ?

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

And more importantly , you're giving a very DANGEROUS advice to ordinary people . Using HTTP means all of your data is being read by third parties. 

Hell , even HTTPS is subject to MITM.

These days one must use anti-quantum PC flags to prevent it. 

EDIT :

There are loads of countries with oppresive regimes where using your "advice" could cost one his life .

Excuse me? I'm not saying people should prioritize HTTP. I'm saying it's not an asserted guarantee that you will be in security troubles if you visit a http website if you do efforts to estimate its safety.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

We HEAR you , you don't like them. Again , we HEAR you, lol.

Got me now ?

I would like for you to read this back EVERY TIME you feel like "derailing" threads with jibber jabber about French or Russian or "commie" side bars.  Then you will see where I'm coming from, we are IDENTICAL in that regard.  :whistle:

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

9 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

jibber jabber

Being French (like you kindly noticed), I sometimes find your American(?) sense of humour rather hard to follow and not always sure what you mean. Oh, and you forgot to include the chinese and indians to that list. Also, from I gather, one would need to purchase a licence for Windows 7 ESU updates. So looks like *for those without it* the "secure" life of windows 7 had ended 2.5 years ago.

• 2 months later...

same thing I did when 9x support ended, keep running 7 like I did ME back then, until internet connectivity becomes too big of a hassle to get a working browser, but when that happens I'll just move to linux as I am quite familiar with several popular distros already.

• 4 months later...
On 6/1/2022 at 6:54 PM, forgamezcz said:

Will you upgrade to Windows 8.1, 10, 11 or switch to Linux?

for me I'm working on switching to windows 10 I also have a smaller sdd I have I might install linux on (it an optiplex 9020)

On 6/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, LonghornXP said:

1. go and celebrate

2. "upgrading" 7 to Vista

3. install all Vista updates and install Server 2008 ESU

4. install ExKer (extended kernel)

5. install newer programs (such as firefox, chrome, gimp, office 2016, vscode, and 7's paint)

6. i just need to happy with Vista

Wait you got Office 2016 running on Vista?