What will you do after Windows 7 ESU ends?

forgamezcz

• forgamezcz changed the title to What will you do after Windows 7 ESU ends?

1 - Go and celebrate .

2 - Tell my current and all future girlfriends their gaming days are over 'cause there will be no new drivers for win 7.

3 - Rest in pleasure.

4 - Stay with my Vista .

P.S.

Just checked , there are actually no new drivers for win 7 for almost a year , so already over.

As if most gamers care for Win7 specifically (or any other old OS, really). Besides those with specific interest for "retro" experience. Older games / drivers will continue to work either way.

Also Windows isn't the only capable gaming platform.

I went Win10 few years before encountering something having a hard requirement for it. :P

Edited by UCyborg

In my old computer I use Vista. In the other computer I have, I use Windows 10 and I'm seriosly thinking if upgrading to 11 will be a good idea. Is interesting the fact that Windows 7 still has more marketshare that Windows 11.

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Older games / drivers will continue to work either way.

Well yes , but some developers tend to make driver demands . There are several games that could run on Vista just fine and even better , but since there are no drivers : we're outta luck . I had this example with my girlfriend's windows 7 PC , where several games wanted a newer driver . I cheated and changed the driver numbers but those games still had glitches and I had to inf mod the newer ones to make them work. But then they removed the win 7 code from them comletely , so no more modding. Of course you can still play older games ... but no more new ones after a year or so.

I read @Dixel had launched Iron Harvest Operation Eagle 2021 on Vista , which is a huge breakthrough *because it's a bleeding edge game and win 10 x64 only* and needed special newer drivers which he also got modded . 

But others are out of luck.

See , the MINIMUM is : Windows 10 x64

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1341702/Iron_Harvest__Operation_Eagle_DLC/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/826630/Iron_Harvest/

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Well yes , but some developers tend to make driver demands .

Saw part of this quoted in other places long time ago and thought it was interesting, only found the whole thing today.

No actual problem happening, security issues are MASSIVELY overblown by the same people who think TPM can save you from kernel attacks stealing your data uncrypted and firewalled older Windows NT is unsafe compared to SELinux +/or a full sandboxed blink-centered operating system or real time protection exploit protection miraculous defenses in "windows" 10/11,  so here we go for (my dream) + 10-15 years of nt 6.0 (in my desktop) and 6.1 (in my laptop) and let obtrusive faithful rejoice in their massively paranoid ideological-dogmatic preaching

Edited by Eddie Phizika

1. go and celebrate

2. "upgrading" 7 to Vista

3. install all Vista updates and install Server 2008 ESU

4. install ExKer (extended kernel)

5. install newer programs (such as firefox, chrome, gimp, office 2016, vscode, and 7's paint)

6. i just need to happy with Vista

22 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Can't go by the information published on store pages. They are not always correct.

One example is EUIV

https://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/Europa_Universalis_IV/

Says it requires Windows 8.1. But it runs perfectly fine on Win7 with no errors or even any sort of pop-up. Same goes for the version on Epic.

10 hours ago, Eddie Phizika said:

No actual problem happening, security issues are MASSIVELY overblown

I wish there was a way to place three DOZEN upvotes!  The BEST thing that Chrome ever did, in my opinion, was the --ignore-certificate-errors startup flag!

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Can't go by the information published on store pages. They are not always correct.

One example is EUIV

https://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/Europa_Universalis_IV/

Says it requires Windows 8.1. But it runs perfectly fine on Win7 with no errors or even any sort of pop-up. Same goes for the version on Epic.

Sorry, don't know about the game you mentioned , but Iron Harvest demands Windows 10 only and I took the requrements from the official developers' page .

The reason I added that link to steam because we were talking about the DLC (Operation Eagle) from steam (addon for the main game).

Also , as one can see , the game has a very complex graphics and  still in the development stage :

System requirements :

System: Windows 10
CPU: Intel Core i5 or higher
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics: GTX 960 or higher

Iron Harvest is still in development. The system requirements are subject to change until release. These are our recommended system requirements for the alpha 1. 

https://kingart-games.com/games/7-iron-harvest

P.S. And even if it somehow could start on 8.1 (or 7) , no way it just runs on 8 years old Nvidia drivers and Vista without some heavy modding. 

As one can also read from official sources "newest" Vista drivers are like 7-8 y.o.

"Newest" for Windows 7/8/8.1 are one year old or so.