KB5013942(cumulative update) won't finish but rolls back every time.

forjonny

KB5013942(cumulative update) starts to download and then install then ask for a restart as normal. Then on the restart I get a msg saying "We couldn't complete the updates" and it rolls back and does a clean up and goes back to my desktop via restart. Then it starts to download again. Now this happen 5 times already on this Quad-core Acer with 12 GB ram, 1 TB drive version 21H2, Win 10 Home 64 Bit. Installed from Media Creators Tool 5 months ago.

So I ignore it and then I get the restart message again and again and again. Everything else is up to date. Did a Superantispyware scan, Windows Security scan, Dism restore health, Sfc /scannow and still getting the same thing which is the update, the restart and then the fail message.

Went to Microsoft catalog and did it separately and still getting the same thing over and over. Image attached.

Update.JPG

KB5013624 is not CU.

Did you install any CU successfully on 21H2 before installing KB5013952? When WU is stuck at specific percentage, it will be helpful if you can describe the installation percentage. If you are using incompatible driver or hardware, you may install the OS, but WU will fail with rollback.

I don't see any KB5013952 updates at all but I did get other CU for 21H2. It doesn't get stuck, it does download and ask me for a restart every time and then it rolls back on the restart. Right now it is downloading it right as we speak with a Defender update. I haven't got a driver update since 2021 either.

If you can't install any CU on 21H2, you should try to find out the incompatible driver or hardware.

If you can install old CU on 21H2, but you can't install KB5013942 because it rolls back, you can try KB5015020, which replaces KB5013942.

Ya know that Windows Update is not a true science. For another example that when I turn on my Windows 11 laptop, different than the computer above, and go check for updates it says: "Updated a minute ago". I then click on "check for updates" any ways and it says "You're up to date" I check on "check for updates" again and it does an update. Today it was a .net update that it did, even though the Windows 11 claim to be up to date. So does Windows lie about the update or that it is so stupid that it does not know if it is updated?

So update:  I reloaded Windows 10 from the Cloud download and did all the updates including that dreaded KB5013942(cumulative update). So I never figured it out so the two hours that I spent on getting everything new again worked. Thanks for trying.