Another Windows 7 installation on a non-C drive letter

Sfor

I,m trying to install Windows 7 64bit on a drive letter G, while I have Windows XP 32bit on F: and Windows 7 32bit on E:.

I could not start the setup on old Windows XP or 7, as it complains it is not x64 system.

The only idea I could think of is to install a Windows x64 on some other partition, then assign a correct drive letter for the desired partition G:, then start yet another Windows 7 64bit setup instance and point it to the grive G:.

I'm assuming starting setup from existing operating system should preserve assigned drive letters, as it was possible to install Windows 7 23bit on drive E: using existing Windows XP 32bit.

Edited by Sfor

Well. EasyBCD uses drive letters according to the current operating system settings. So, if I set G: in Windows 7 32, it will be C: in Windows 7 64. So, I see no way of changing drive letter assignments using EasyBCD.

Perhaps I found a possible workaround. Since the Windows 7 64 wants to have C: as it's partition letter, I can make symbolic links to folders on the old C: partition. It will be possible to retain the compatibility in scripts and settings across multiple operating systems, that way.

• 3 months later...

I know the post is old, but this can be useful for someone.

You can install Windows X64 from an X86 system using an image that contains both architectures, x86 and x64 bit on install.wim file , or simply put install.wim from Windows X64 in a W7 X86 installer.

So you can install Windows X64 in the letter you want from 32-bit.

I hope it is useful for someone.

Viktor k.