Windows 11 First Impressions

Dave-H

• 5 weeks later...

Why use Win8/10/11? I cannot understand this. Capitalism is their goal. On every new M$ OS, more backward compatibilty is missing. They implement newer DirextX for every new OS, so that gamers need to switch their OS to newer ones if they want to play modern games. High OS -> more CPU power is needed, thats an insane policy against sustainably living, hundreds of (modern) "old" computers got thrown into city trash area every day. Programmers could do everything, but they don't want to, money interests are far more important than humanity. The same thing exist in the game developer industry. Userfriendly programmers would never remove compatibility. Hope to see a XP revival (driver support for all new GPUs, DX12 support, possibilty to install modern browser) or a massive switch-over-to-linux. It is time to stop the insanity, it's already urgent since 20 years...

2 hours ago, satmonk said:

so that gamers need to switch their OS to newer ones if they want to play modern games.

Poor little gamers, I feel for them, I cannot imagine how tough it could be for them living without being able to play modern games.

Still I am more concerned by all the small (and large) offices and businesses that actually need to update OS and programs continuously to be able to do those minor, trifling, things, like calculating and paying wages and taxes, creating and paying invoices, dealing with Law requirements, etc..

jaclaz

My understanding of a typical corporate environment is that their toolset consists of archaic database connected applications and websites. So the days of needing to update your OS to run your fancy enterprise/corporate software is a thing of the past.

57 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

My understanding of a typical corporate environment is that their toolset consists of archaic database connected applications and websites. So the days of needing to update your OS to run your fancy enterprise/corporate software is a thing of the past.

No, maybe that applies to (large) corporate environment, in smaller ones (while there could still exist the odd old database based program) the (say) invoice must be made with a new format (that the old program doesn't support) and must be loaded to a given website (that possibly only supports a given browser, in a recent version), then you need to access another government connected website (that supports another browser) and the bank (which has been updated to some new dashboard, that you need not but that as well requires a "current" browser).

jaclaz

I work where one of those fancy corporate database connected applications are developed. Windows 7 is not supported (but still works), no support for company's old programs (no staff that would know them either) and said programs are basically EOL rather than just EOS due to licensing system they use. No one gives a damn.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:41 PM, jaclaz said:

Poor little gamers, I feel for them, I cannot imagine how tough it could be for them living without being able to play modern games.

It's a profitable industry, you know, eg.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_II_(2022_video_game)

Modern Warfare II received generally favorable reviews from critics. It was a commercial success and broke several records for the series, including becoming the fastest Call of Duty game to generate US$1 billion in revenue.

Like arms industry, what better time for it than now? And the pretenders that are supposedly for peace are happily prolonging the suffering.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, satmonk said:

Programmers could do everything, but they don't want to, money interests are far more important than humanity.

One thing I heard about one of the programmers that used to work where I work, he had to get drunk 3 times a week to keep his sanity.

At the end of the day, we all do what we have to do to get by.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed how Windows 11 (in cahoots with motherboard makers) is super aggressive about trying to establish a WiFi connection? By contrast, NIC adaptors can easily be uninstalled or disabled in the Bios.

You can allegedly "disable" the Intel(R) Wi-Fi drivers but you can't uninstall them or disable them in the bios, at lease on the AsRock and Gigabyte z590 boards I have personally worked with. I've even used dism.exe to uninstall every wifi driver on the Windows 11 install.wim image file and the Intel driver still installs itself after an initial setup. Also, under "Network and Internet" Wifi randomly turns on even after you "disable" the Intel WiFi drivers. I'm trying to wrap my head around the point of this, i.e.:  even if Microsoft and Intel want to automatically enroll your PC into the IOT, as an always on appliance, don't they still need a password to access any wifi network. Or is there a way around that too?

Edited by lurk&jerk

11 hours ago, lurk&jerk said:

Has anyone else noticed how Windows 11 (in cahoots with motherboard makers) is super aggressive about trying to establish a WiFi connection? By contrast, NIC adaptors can easily be uninstalled or disabled in the Bios.

You can allegedly "disable" the Intel(R) Wi-Fi drivers but you can't uninstall them or disable them in the bios, at lease on the AsRock and Gigabyte z590 boards I have personally worked with. I've even used dism.exe to uninstall every wifi driver on the Windows 11 install.wim image file and the Intel driver still installs itself after an initial setup. Also, under "Network and Internet" Wifi randomly turns on even after you "disable" the Intel WiFi drivers. I'm trying to wrap my head around the point of this, i.e.:  even if Microsoft and Intel want to automatically enroll your PC into the IOT, as an always on appliance, don't they still need a password to access any wifi network. Or is there a way around that too?

Interesting ! So basically it's the ol' Intel ME, just on steriods. A way around it, maybe wrap some thick aluminum or better copper foil around the module, make a ground wire . Don't forget to isolate the board to prevent shortings.

Sure but Windows isn't doing this out of the box.

The real reason why Windows reverts or re-enables anything is because it is designed with those things to be on by default. And there are things in the task scheduler you can't see in Session 1 that work to re-enable these things.