Windows 11 First Impressions

Dave-H

https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v2-1/comment-page-39/#comment-36149

Microsoft does not want Defender to be turned off completely. Therefore, when defender is turned off, windows update or windows component is trying to repair Defender and as a result Defender may become corrupt. Of course a malicious program may also corrupt Defender completely. (If there is no different security software in windows, when Defender is turned off)
Microsoft is constantly taking new measures because it does not want Defender to be turned off. There is a possibility that Windows Defender may be corrupted among these measures. Therefore We will no longer update this program
Sordum.org Team

On 10/27/2022 at 4:41 PM, Tripredacus said:

Sounds like an oversight, not a "this is normal" type thing.

Windows Defender? Well, they do seem to insist on deliberately keeping it on. Didn't test if its service back away with another anti-virus installed, but I noticed that if you set the service to manual start by editing registry offline, it goes back to auto when the OS starts. Vista's Defender has a nice UI and a checkbox "Use this program". Doesn't tell you, "nope, can't do that".

On 10/25/2022 at 3:40 PM, Tripredacus said:

Apparently the board I have has a TPM header but doesn't have one installed.

My board has TPM designation on it, nothing plugged there, nothing about it in the manual.

• 1 month later...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-kb5020044-makes-task-manager-partially-unreadable/?fbclid=IwAR0GkaQ_XNqL16p_ZvmEvoKbr7R7_MRZug6EmIVJfosWS8DjoRRsZbmT41o

Eternally beta since windows 10. Why leave vista/7 if we have all kernel extensions we currently have? better to use two machines

Edited by Eddie Phizika

On 12/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, Eddie Phizika said:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-kb5020044-makes-task-manager-partially-unreadable/?fbclid=IwAR0GkaQ_XNqL16p_ZvmEvoKbr7R7_MRZug6EmIVJfosWS8DjoRRsZbmT41o

Eternally beta since windows 10. Why leave vista/7 if we have all kernel extensions we currently have? better to use two machines

I think this mess started with Windows 8, then got worse (not the start menu, glad they fixed it) on Windows 10 (you know, the designs and UWP and win32 apps...).

Now with Windows 11, they're kinda fixing it but it's still eh (personally I don't mind the taskbar buttons and start menu being in the middle, I think it gives Windows a fresh new look after using Windows 10 for all these years, but I think they're trying to be like ChromeOS or kinda like macOS, just look around in Windows 11 and you'll see what I'm talking about :yes:).

Unpopular opinion btw: I don't mind the full screen start menu on Windows 8(.1), but I still prefer the conservative start menu

On 12/7/2022 at 10:38 AM, WinGlass said:

I think this mess started with Windows 8, then got worse (not the start menu, glad they fixed it) on Windows 10 (you know, the designs and UWP and win32 apps...).

Now with Windows 11, they're kinda fixing it but it's still eh (personally I don't mind the taskbar buttons and start menu being in the middle, I think it gives Windows a fresh new look after using Windows 10 for all these years, but I think they're trying to be like ChromeOS or kinda like macOS, just look around in Windows 11 and you'll see what I'm talking about :yes:).

Unpopular opinion btw: I don't mind the full screen start menu on Windows 8(.1), but I still prefer the conservative start menu

I've actually kind of liked windows 8.1 as well it's way faster that any other windows version and with classic-shell it even better except the start screen I can't figure out how to remove yet

Edited by legacyfan

7 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I've actually kind of liked windows 8.1 as well it's way faster that any other windows version and with classic-shell it even better except the start screen I can't figure out how to remove yet

Agreed! :thumbup

I don't mind the full screen start menu, I actually like it :)

On 12/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, WinGlass said:

I think they're trying to be like ChromeOS or kinda like macOS, just look around in Windows 11 and you'll see what I'm talking about :yes:).

Yeah, I know, rounded corners of windows like in macOS, start menu similar to ChromeOS's, as well as the centered taskbar buttons.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:07 PM, legacyfan said:

classic-shell it even better except the start screen I can't figure out how to remove yet

Let me remind you that Classic Shell is no longer in active development as of December 2017. Open Shell is the reborn of the good old Classic Shell, and is actively developed.

22 hours ago, WinGlass said:

I don't mind the full screen start menu, I actually like it :)

Yeah, me too. That's what I like too, although I mainly prefer traditional Windows XP/7 start menu. And also the classical Windows 95 start menu!

Edited by mina7601

9 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Yeah, I know, rounded corners of windows like in macOS, start menu similar to ChromeOS's, as well as the centered taskbar buttons.

Let me remind you that Classic Shell is no longer in active development as of December 2017. Open Shell is the reborn of the good old Classic Shell, and is actively developed.

Yeah, me too. That's what I like too, although I mainly prefer traditional Windows XP/7 start menu. And also the classical Windows 95 start menu!

I constantly use 7/vista in classic theme + 16 bit color. It still brings performance advantages in cheap GPUs and laptop integrated GPUs from ultra-thin machines and i've even benchmarked it/tested real life usage in both.

14 hours ago, Eddie Phizika said:

I constantly use 7/vista in classic theme + 16 bit color. It still brings performance advantages in cheap GPUs and laptop integrated GPUs from ultra-thin machines and i've even benchmarked it/tested real life usage in both.

That's interesting. When I used to have Windows 7, I put it in classic theme too, but in 32-bit color instead, and it still performed well.

• 2 weeks later...

My first windows 11 impressions were just terrible, I saw it on my friend's PC and wouldn't want it for myself. A very cheap clone of Mac.

I think this is for someone who doesn't have enough money for a real Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

My Windows 11 impressions so far are that most peoples' impressions of it aren't that great (I haven't used it myself, and probably won't any time soon).

I waited 7 years for Windows 10 to get better — and it never really did, so I'm not waiting around for 11, because I doubt it'll ever get meaningfully better either. 

Microsoft simply doesn't seem to care anymore, so why should I?

c