Server 2022, The Worst Buggy Server OS

LonghornXP

So 2 days ago, I do Server 2022 installation and see what MS do with it but this OS fells boring and buggy mess. Explorer keeps crashing for no reason. UAC hasn't been changed (aka same as Windows 11). Windows (M$) Store is not available by default. This is the 3rd time M$ used Windows 10 as Windows Server. I wish M$ made updates for Server 2022 to similar like Windows 11. Cortana is not available too. M$ used Edge chromium (not legacy Edge)

Edited by LonghornXP

12 hours ago, LonghornXP said:

I wish M$ made updates for Server 2022 to similar like Windows 11

I don't. Server needs maximum uptime and can't afford restarting due to updates whenever it feels like it.

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I don't. Server needs maximum uptime and can't afford restarting due to updates whenever it feels like it.

Exactly, Though i could've sworn M$ still did it regardless on windows server i must be ootl

What exactly are you using Windows Server 2022 for? Are you using it as an actual server or a workstation? In my opinion, there's very little reason to use a server OS as a workstation OS in today's world. It may have served some purpose back during the Windows XP era but these days, there's very little reason to do this. Back then you could use Server 2003 to take advantage of x64 bit instructions and using more than 4GBs of RAM, these days 32-bit is almost a thing of the past so there's almost no reason to use a server OS as your daily driver.

I have a centralized Windows Server 2019 running active directory. I have opted for the GUI install just because I'm lazy and don't want to really bother with command line or learning it at this point in time. It reminds me of Windows 10 LTSC which is very slimed down and does not contain a lot of things by default and in fact includes most Windows 7 applications like calculator rather than the new "App" versions. But on a server OS, there's very little reason to actually have the Microsoft Store installed because all server tasks that you need are already built into the OS itself. I've been curious to see what Windows Server 2022 looks and feels like but I don't really see a reason to change because you really want to avoid doing an in place upgrade to your server OS. I upgraded from Windows Server 2008r2 to 2019 but I was also upgrading servers so I replicated my domain and then simply decommissioned my old 2008 server so it was essentially like a clean installation of Windows. Feels like way too much work to me to change something that is working and performing 100% the way I need it to right now.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:41 AM, LonghornXP said:

Explorer keeps crashing for no reason.

Really weird bug, never had it happen myself. Which version of Windows Server 2022 is this? Is this build 20348.0 or is it something released later?

UAC hasn't been changed (aka same as Windows 11).

UAC is different though, Server 2022 is based on Windows 10 (Iron codebase specifically) as it was released before Windows 11 (Windows Server 2022 was released on May 2021).

Windows (M$) Store is not available by default.

Not typically needed for servers, should be installable by typing "wsreset -i" inside the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.

This is the 3rd time M$ used Windows 10 as Windows Server.

What would they base it on if not Windows 10? Windows 11 was released after Server 2022 was released.

M$ used Edge chromium (not legacy Edge).

You can delete MS Edge if you want to.

Edited by RayZen
Grammatical mistake

I think the OP was expecting Windows Server 2022 to be just like the regular desktop Windows with some additional server features thrown in on top of it, and ended up being surprised when it wasn't like that.

It's weird that explorer is crashing though, that shouldn't be happening.