Is Windows 10 the new 98?

winxpi

I see theres alot of implementation Xbox, Gaming for Windows 10.

I use the Home and Pro Edition currently. But Windows 11 is als coming soon, insidre Releases are available.

And theres already talk about Windows 12.

What do you think about 10? I recently had an bug that the explorer was frozen had to close it in the taskmanager.

Reminds me of he issues of 98 had in terms of stability. Also the last operatig system of Windows containing Internet Explorer aka explorer aka Compability explorer. Or as M$ calls it "Compability solution".

The security feature as part of hardware TPM 2.0 is now being mandatory for Windows 11 whats quit a shock. But this also reminds as like NTFS was implemented in Windows XP. What do you think?
Do you have good experience with Windows 10?

- that talk about win12 was troll talk, it wasnt real...

- TPM service was there since Vista beta 2 :P

- NTFS wasn't implemented in XP... XP was simply continuation of NT line where it was CHANGED to that level so it can FINALLY be for home users as well (and thank god for that, 9x line sucked)

Edited by vinifera

17 hours ago, vinifera said:

- that talk about win12 was troll talk, it wasnt real...

- TPM service was there since Vista

1 - They told the same about win 11.

2 - Yeah , but one could easily delete it with Vlite or simply switch OFF , it was not required at all. The OP wrote that in Win 11 it's mandatory and he was shocked. 

for TPM, true, but if you consider that this thing appeared in early to mid 2005 already as pushing idea
and now is 2022 ... thats a long time that "it was out there", its not something new

and i think it was even earlier in its inception, even in 2003 when MS started with Longhorn, they wanted their "Palladin" service
to be one of main "pillars" for LH/Vista, their secure service something something lol

again nothing new, they just pushed it alot late now... and not for users benefit but theirs tho...
then again i see around net alot of v11 repacks with latest updates and without TPM requirement

Edited by vinifera

5 hours ago, vinifera said:

alot of v11 repacks with latest updates and without TPM requirement

Perhaps , but we (here at MSFN) assume one would need to own a legit licence and not use and discuss cracked/hacked versions.

Non-critical file removal is all that is needed. Even newer versions of Rufus can do it for you.

https://i12bretro.github.io/tutorials/0635.html

But it may be a matter of time before this is patched out. Such as maybe they will make Setup or Windows have an error if that file is missing.

In regards to if Win 10 is the new 98... you think in 20 years from now there will be an active Windows 10 modding community like there is for Windows 98?

On 5/8/2022 at 5:59 AM, winxpi said:

What do you think about 10?

New versions? Terrible, slow, You need pretty new hardware to run newer versions well, which I don't have. Older versions? Quite nice, they work pretty well, and run well on my hardware. You may say - "Your hardware is definitely from 2008 lol", unfortunately, no, my hardware mainly ranges from 2012 to 2019, I still found Windows 10 slow regardless, they expect you to have an SSD, unfortunately I don't have any money right now to buy an SSD, and older versions of Windows 10 work fine on a HDD, so why bother with newer versions?

I recently had an bug that the explorer was frozen had to close it in the task manager.

I did too on 20H2! That bug seems to pop up randomly, it doesn't on one explorer session, and does on another. This bug only began popping up in 20H2, likely 2004 is affected too since 20H2 and 2004 are pretty much the same thing, I don't remember seeing this bug pop up on 1903 or anything older.

Reminds me of he issues of 98 had in terms of stability.

98FE? That sure was unstable, I never experienced it myself but I heard terrible stories about it being really unstable. 98SE was quite stable in my experience, although people typically have the opposite experience from what I can see.

Also the last operating system of Windows containing Internet Explorer aka explorer aka Compability explorer. Or as M$ calls it "Compability solution".

98SE wasn't the last operating system containing Internet Explorer nor Internet Explorer shell, the IE-based shell was last used in Server 2003

The security feature as part of hardware TPM 2.0 is now being mandatory for Windows 11 what's quite a shock. But this also reminds as like NTFS was implemented in Windows XP. What do you think?

I find requirement of TPM 2.0 quite stupid, don't forget that Windows is intended for novice PC users too! System requirements are stupid in general, why do I need a 8th gen Intel processor or 2nd gen AMD processor? People say - "oh TPM 2.0 is common, therefore it's OK to require it", if you are on really modern systems, sure, but I don't, I don't even have an option to enable TPM even though I'm on a FM2 motherboard! Secure Boot is also stupid, it basically restricts you from using OSes that aren't verified with some kind of signature, you can deal with it in GRUB, but come on!

4 hours ago, RayZen said:

I find requirement of TPM 2.0 quite stupid, don't forget that Windows is intended for novice PC users too

The Windows product development lifecycle is based on the Enterprise Channel primarily. Obviously there is some disconnect as the UX is certainly not designed for Enterprise.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, RayZen said:

New versions? Terrible, slow, You need pretty new hardware to run newer versions well, which I don't have. Older versions? Quite nice, they work pretty well, and run well on my hardware. You may say - "Your hardware is definitely from 2008 lol", unfortunately, no, my hardware mainly ranges from 2012 to 2019, I still found Windows 10 slow regardless, they expect you to have an SSD, unfortunately I don't have any money right now to buy an SSD, and older versions of Windows 10 work fine on a HDD, so why bother with newer versions?

I did too on 20H2! That bug seems to pop up randomly, it doesn't on one explorer session, and does on another. This bug only began popping up in 20H2, likely 2004 is affected too since 20H2 and 2004 are pretty much the same thing, I don't remember seeing this bug pop up on 1903 or anything older.

98FE? That sure was unstable, I never experienced it myself but I heard terrible stories about it being really unstable. 98SE was quite stable in my experience, although people typically have the opposite experience from what I can see.

98SE wasn't the last operating system containing Internet Explorer nor Internet Explorer shell, the IE-based shell was last used in Server 2003

I find requirement of TPM 2.0 quite stupid, don't forget that Windows is intended for novice PC users too! System requirements are stupid in general, why do I need a 8th gen Intel processor or 2nd gen AMD processor? People say - "oh TPM 2.0 is common, therefore it's OK to require it", if you are on really modern systems, sure, but I don't, I don't even have an option to enable TPM even though I'm on a FM2 motherboard! Secure Boot is also stupid, it basically restricts you from using OSes that aren't verified with some kind of signature, you can deal with it in GRUB, but come on!

Actually any version. 20H2 yes Im using that at home! Dont know which version number we have in business but that it was Enterprise Edition.

Must admit I run alot of programs so hat can happen sometime.

Whats interesting is now that I mentioned it: On the Enterprise Edition(B2B) I never had wifi problems. Whereas on any Home or Pro (retail editions aka B2C) this occured regardless of the version installed.

98SE and FE both are not the stablest os compared to lets say Windows 2000 or Windows 7. XP was pretty solid but thats not to say it was stablest. Vista crashes alot nowadays on older laptops but didnt notice this before and also might have to do with hardware limitations (using old Celeron but on other hand no modern software and 3GB RAM). But Vista was sure like a Windows 7 FE. :D. If you think about the fact that, you could use Vista drivers for Windows 7 and Vista seems from the look and feel a bit like XP but improved Vista on the other hand not yet as stable as 7.

Sorry with Internet Explorer I meant Windows 10. Might have sounded confusing when the topic refers to 98 aswell.

Yeah I understand that. And TPM 2.0 wont prevent ransomware unluckily. Only physical theft of data.

Windows 10 LTSC 2019 user here , i can say i have nothing to say it works but its buggy but fast and i gonna receive update until 2029.

So their you go ,

If that sounds like 98 then it is but i have no idea