What is the most recent or best version of ADVAPI32.DLL for XP that I can get my hands on?

Nomen

I'm trying to install an application on an XP-SP3 (32 bit) that claims to be compiled for windows-x86.  I am currently running a previous version of this application.  I am trying to run the offline installation package for it.   I am getting this error:

The procedure entry point RegGetValueA could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.DLL.

Some web-searches I've done might be indicating that that function is only available when running XP 64 bit?

Anyways, I have version 5.1.2600.6987 (12/17/2015).  Any chance that there is a more recent version that might have this function?  There is KernelEx for XP isin't there?  Might it help with this?

On 4/29/2022 at 1:08 AM, Nomen said:

Anyways, I have version 5.1.2600.6987 (12/17/2015).  Any chance that there is a more recent version that might have this function?

Salve! I love Latin and I have to say "nomen est omen" at first. :buehehe: But back to topic! I have same version in my Windows XP Professional 32 Bit system and I rather doubt that there is a more recent one. I think your source of information is Stack Overflow and it seems to be as you already said, the function RegGetValue is supported in XP 64bit and later. Therefore no chance, I think. :no: Sorry for the bad news! :(
Regarding your "KernelEx" there was an ExtendedXP ( Extended Kernel for XP) from 2017 but project was cancelled by author, afaik. You can find it here:

Maybe some experts here do have more information for you.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

The install file in question (Interactive Brokers TWS offline installer for 32 bit Version 981.3m) does in fact run on Windows 7 (32 bit) so I don't know if this is a 32/64 bit issue or not.

And - my full name is Nomen Nescio.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Nomen

6 hours ago, Nomen said:

Nomen Nescio

Optime! :buehehe: Homo qui oblitus est nominis sui vel scire nolit. Non est melius nomen! :thumbup I love it! Back to topic! If there is no problem in Windows 7 32 Bit, then it' s not a 64 Bit problem. The function seems to be supported in more recent OSs, presumeably Windows Vista or 7 and later and therefore not a 64 Bit related problem. And if so, you've got a chance to get it working using Extended Kernel. Try it!

Vale! AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Try to look into advapi32.dll from One-Core-Api, it have mentioned function

Here is needed file set

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3qkzns2rw4ds5z9/advapi32_One-Core-API-x86.7z/file
https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Core-Api
Edited by George King

I extracted the files

advapi32.dll (98 kb vs original 605 kb), advapibase.dll and ntext.dll from George's mediafire link.

My version of winrar must be incompatible with the .7z file in question, I had to download and install a trial version of winzip to extract the files. I placed those 3 files in my c:\windows\system32 folder. I did this by booting the PC into DOS (I have XP running on a FAT32 drive in this PC, the boot menu gives me the choice to boot into DOS or XP).   Otherwise XP was interfering with me changing advapi32.dll while XP was running.  I made a backup copy of advapi32.dll first. With the changes, XP started fine, no indications of anything wrong. I checked and advapi32.dll was not replaced by a version from the dllcache. I thought I might have to register advapibase.dll but my attempt to do that resulted in a DLLRegisterServer entry point not found message. But XP was up and running, so if this is an important system DLL then it seems to be working. I ran the TWS offline installation file, and son of a gun it worked! The application installed the newer version of TWS with no issues. Now, would it run? Yes!

So thank you George for the info about One-Core-Api.  And also thank you Gerwin, I had a look at the github project you posted and was trying to decide which one to try first.

15 hours ago, Nomen said:

I placed those 3 files in my c:\windows\system32 folder.

I am not an expert, but so far I have done a few Kernel-ex mods without changing anything to the main Windows XP installation.

Instead it was done by adding the wrapper dll files in the root of the troublesome program, then hexedit the executable of the troublesome program, to refer to the wrapper dll names instead of the original windows dll names. Like search for the "advapi32.dll" string and changing it with "advapixp.dll", and make sure the wrapper dll is in the same folder as that modded executable, and has the file name advapixp.dll.  That xp suffix is just something I made up, it does not matter what it is, just that it is different from the windows one.

Sometimes things are more entwined with multiple dll libraries involved.