Widespread Outlook error, Vista and XP

PRB

Since yesterday I cannot login to my email. Vista with Firefox 52.9.0. Seems to be happening to many users with both Vista and XP, presumably MS have broken something, deliberately or otherwise.

I'm seeing numerous queries around various sites, but no solution yet. For instance, see here answers.microsoft.com

Anybody got a workaround?

Edited by PRB

23 hours ago, PRB said:

Since yesterday I cannot login to my [Outlook Live] email. Vista with Firefox 52.9.0. Seems to be happening to many users with both Vista and XP....see here answers.microsoft.com

After reviewing your link, Juhn Jac is almost certainly correct: Outlook Live recently started using up-to-date JavaScript that Firefox 52.9 cannot deal with because its JavaScript engine is 5 years old. Most PC users of the world will never encounter this issue because they are running newer versions of Windows that are still being supported by major browsers. If you want to continue running Vista, you must either change your email or change your browser. The most up-to-date JavaScript engine of any browser that supports Windows XP or vanilla  Vista belongs to Extreme Explorer 360 version 13, based on Chromium 86. If you prefer Firefox-based browsers, then the MyPal 68 beta is worth a try - but you might not be able to download it from GitHub if Firefox 52.9 is the best browser available (JavaScript again). Such browsers are thoroughly discussed in this subforum:

https://msfn.org/board/forum/201-browsers-working-on-older-nt-family-oses/

Another possibility for Vista x64 users is the extended kernel for Windows Vista that is discussed in other threads here, which would enable you to use very recent versions of Firefox that do not officially support Vista.

21 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

...If you prefer Firefox-based browsers, then the MyPal 68 beta is worth a try...

There have been a few reports that the older MyPal 29.3 (based on Pale Moon 29) is sufficiently modernized to solve the specific issue that @PRBhas pointed out here. It can still be found at https://www.mypal-browser.org/. It would not be surprising if roytam1’s Serpent 52 or New Moon 28 could also  cope with this change, but I am unable to test myself.

@PRB You might want to try again with Firefox now. I just saw a report that 52.9 and even Opera 36 are now working again. If you can confirm that, it means that Microsoft reverted the JavaScript changes and the issue no longer exists (at least for the time being). On the bright side, a number of XP and Vista users have now heard of MyPal for the first time (and there are other websites where 52.9 no longer works very well).