n00b looking for help

hi,

i've been here a while, and i finally decided to give unattended a shot.

but, i have no idea what im doing :)

i read through the unattended guide, but i still dont know what im doing :D

so, i was wondering if you guys could give me a little help.

so far, i have this:

;SetupMgrTag[Data]    AutoPartition=1    MsDosInitiated="0"    UnattendedInstall="Yes"
[unattended]    UnattendMode=DefaultHideOemPreinstall=YesUnattendSwitch="yes"    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
[GuiUnattended]    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO    OEMSkipRegional=1    TimeZone=265
[userData]    ProductKey=****    FullName=""    OrgName=""
[RegionalSettings]    LanguageGroup=1    SystemLocale=00000c09    UserLocale=00000c09    InputLocale=0c09:00000409
[identification]    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
[Networking]    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

so i want to be able to enter the name and the organization, and the rest is already there.

and also, i want to install adobe, and winzip, but i couldnt find the winzip switches on the unattended site.

so basically, i wanna know if my winnt.sif does what i want it to do, and what the winzip switches are.

oh yeah... please dont flame me for being a n00b at this :rolleyes:

thanks,

cazzman.

I'm not gonna hold your hand & I don't think anyone else should either. All the help you need is right here: http://unattended.msfn.org/index.htm

Read the site, read it again, read the ref file included w/ the deployment tools, read it again, experiment & do test installs. It'll be confusing at first, but just keep reading & testing & it'll get alot easier. The creator of http://unattended.msfn.org/index.htm has done all the work for you. Just apply yourself a little.

i could go on an explain everything but it would be a rewrite of the unattended guide so here are some tips:

All the questions u have about winnt.sif relies in ref.chm that is found in deploy.cab which should be in your Support folder of Xp cd. if not Microsoft web site has it for sp1. 1.0MB+.

this file with take care of your questions on what those in winnt.sif are and how u can use pre-entered values in winnt.sif including how to enter only the user name info etc...

there are many alternatives on how to install things.

most popular ones i'm sure u heard are xpcreate, xplode...

Xpcreate can and will be putting all the hotfixes and programs together and they will be installed via svcpack.inf

xplode does a similar job with more options in it, with this tool u can install programs with switches, parse reg values, alter folders and etc.

benefits of xpcreate: if u were to install the hotfixes with xplode it would take say 40 min. but since xpcreate slipstreams the hotfixes into the cd that time goes down to 20min. now u've all the time left for other programs

me: as u might guess, i use xpcreate to handle the hotfixes and xplode to install my programs silently.. there are many more tools, u know...

@ enuffsaid. the title says it all :) im a n00b, looking for help, and since it was posted in the unattended forum, i think its fairly obvious what kind of help im after. @ xtrememac. thanks alot man, i did read up on ref.chm and i have a basic grasp on things now. :rolleyes:

actually enuffsaid, you'll notice that ive been here since July '03, and i actually specified that i was a n00b AT THIS. :rolleyes::)

pwnned.

[edit]

enough of this childish fighting. :D i've figured stuff out now, disregard my last posts.

[/edit]