General and specific solutions for problems regarding AU/WU/MU in Windows XP

AstroSkipper

Yes, I realise that now!
I misinterpreted what you said in the PS of your post earlier where you said "I disabled the AU Service".
:D
The service starts anyway even if set to 'manual' so it might as well be left on 'automatic', as you say.
:yes:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, I realise that now!
I misinterpreted what you said in the PS of your post earlier where you said "I disabled the AU Service".
:D
The service starts anyway even if set to 'manual' so it might as well be left on 'automatic', as you say.
:yes:

You're absolutely right. My fault. I've already corrected that. Of course I didn't mean AU service but simply AU. Sorry for misleading! :D

Microsoft Knowledge Base (MKB) and their KB articles

For getting information and solving problems in Windows XP, Microsoft Knowledge Base had been an important source for a long time. But unfortunately most KB articles relating to Windows XP were deleted by Microsoft on their servers some years ago. Now we need other sources to get these KB articles. One method is to use a Wayback Machine like archive.org. Here is the link: https://web.archive.org/
Insert the original link of a KB article and in a lot of cases it was already archived in the past. But there are other sources too.
Here is the best alternative: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.php?title=Microsoft_KB_Archive
And this is an offline database with more than 200000 KB articles: https://archive.org/details/MicrosoftKnowledgeBaseArchive200000Articles  

Good luck in searching KB articles, AstroSkipper :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

All options of the Automatic Updates (AU) applet are greyed out

In Windows XP the configuration of Automatic Updates is done by an applet from Control Panel. In some cases, when you open this AU applet, all of the configuration options may be greyed out and inaccessible for the user. Very often this happens due to any of following reasons: Either you're not logged on as Administrator, or Automatic Updates Policy is enabled which can be caused for example by using WSUS + WUMT method or by individual changes to AU time intervall settings. To recover access to these options you have to delete a few keys and to change some settings in your registry. One of them has been set by using WSUS + WUMT method: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
But there are a few more keys and settings in your registry causing this behavior. I recommend to backup the registry first for safety reasons. If you are not familiar with registry keys, or you do not dare to delete or to change them, you can apply the following reg file which deletes all responsible keys and changes settings automatically.
Here is the download link of FixAUOptionsGreyedOut reg file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/uqt1r3d2mz5r30x/FixAUOptionsGreyedOut.7z/file
If you want to know which keys and settings are affected, have a look inside the reg file!

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

An experimental solution for the error code 0x80072F78 while accessing the WU/MU website

If on the WU/MU website the error code 0x80072F78 appears, turn off your firewall temporarily. If MU is working now, add the program "wuauClt.exe" into the exception list of your firewall and turn your firewall back on.  In any case, ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy must not be blocked by your firewall. Same for Internet Explorer, of course. This is rather an experimental solution. In a lot of cases, this tip had helped users to solve the error code 0x80072F78. Try it if you are affected! Maybe it works for you.

Cheers! AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

A less-than-ideal solution for the error code 0x80072efe or 0x80096010 caused by the AU client in Windows XP

If you notice the error code 0x80072efe or 0x80096010 :realmad: in your system event log and you want to get rid of these errors in a fully updated Windows XP system, you have simply to turn off Automatic Updates in AU applet located in control panel. The reasons for these errors are different and described in detail in another post of mine: 

Cheers, AstroSkipper  :rolleyes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

Windows Update Error Codes

If an error code occurs while accessing AU/WU/MU, it's helpful to understand the meaning of it. Here is a very comprehensive list of Windows Update Error Codeshttp://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/wuc.htm
Another list of these codes with more detailed descriptions is the "Complete List of Windows Update Error Codes" and can be found here: http://woshub.com/all-windows-update-error-codes/
Legacy Update also provides a list of Windows Update Error Codes. Here is the link: https://legacyupdate.net/errorcodes

Cheers, AstroSkipper wosschilder840.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I didn't try others but i can say for newcomers to here that, nginx method worked for me and that was the easiest solution for me.

Thank you OP for collecting this all information on a single topic and offering us regularly. Also surely thank you for creators of that all ways. As OP said, while reading other long topic i was so confused and can't sure about what i need to done exactly.

Temporary solution to grant access to MU/WU using nginx method due to interference of AV/firewall

To people who want to do MS updates with this method, please disable your antivirus software/firewall if you have one. It takes my 6 hours to figure this while trying to connect windows update site lol. Of course each PC has different status and each one may have other error codes, problems while doing this but just saying an extra experience.

Regards.

Edited by thomasxxx

2 hours ago, thomasxxx said:

I didn't try others but i can say for newcomers to here that, nginx method worked for me and that was the easiest solution for me.

Thank you OP for collecting this all information on a single topic and offering us regularly. Also surely thank you for creators of that all ways. As OP said, while reading other long topic i was so confused and can't sure about what i need to done exactly.

Thanks for your comment and your opinion! I created this thread to provide all solutions at one place indeed. Solutions relating to AU/WU/MU should be found easily. All users can add reasonable solutions by commenting here.The goal is to let Windows XP live as long as possible.

2 hours ago, thomasxxx said:

So, my extra little info for this topic is for nginx method.

To people who want to do MS updates with this method, please disable your antivirus software/firewall if you have. It takes my 6 hours to figure this while trying to connect windows update site lol. Of course each PC has different status and each one may have other error codes, problems while doing this but just saying an extra experience.

Regards.

I didn't try this method but in most cases if security software iinterferes or blocks access to whatever, it's safer to make exclusions than to disable the modules entirely. Did you read my first post? I wrote: 

If you want to post an AU/WU/MU related solution or an additional resource in this thread, you can use the commenting zone to do this. Please post it by choosing a meaningful title in bold and font size 18 for better visibility! If it seems to be a real solution (it's not my job to test them all) or an interesting resource, I will list it in second, third or ninth post with a link to the member's original comment for better overview. Due to the modular character of this thread each posted solution or resource can be upvoted or liked separately with credits to their poster.

Maybe you can edit your post in that way. Have a look in my posts! And if you recommend to disable AV/firewall, please temporary only! Anyway, thanks a lot for your tip! Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, thomasxxx said:

And here's my extra little info for this topic is for "nginx method".

Please completely black, bold and font size 18! Then it is more visible. Otherwise no one will find your tip! Have a look at my posts! Thanks :D

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

On 5/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, thomasxxx said:

Hi @thomasxxx, thanks again for your kind words and editing of your post! I've listed it in third post under Specific solutions
https://msfn.org/board/topic/183498-general-and-specific-solutions-for-problems-regarding-auwumu-in-windows-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1216507
If you want to support me and the idea of this thread, I would be very pleased about liking or upvoting my first post (right corner below). Thanks so far! Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

Restoring WU/MU by using the patch + proxy method

This is the method my guide "Complete guide for restoring IE's access to WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy in Windows XP" in the following post 

is based on. It uses a patched file, some special settings, a couple of updates and one of our valued proxies: ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy. All the detailed information you'll find in my guide. And here is the link to the creator's original post: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/restore-windows-update-for-windows-xp-server-2003.82538/page-8#post-1718517. Credits to @Windows7fan from MDL aka @xpandvistafan at MSFN.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 3 weeks later...

Solution for the error code 0x80072f8f while accessing the WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy

You have to install ProxHTTPSProxy's or HTTPSProxy's CA certificate to Trusted Root Certification Authority under the account local computer. A detailed instruction can be found in my original post:

and in my article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use" under section Configuration  Configuration of these proxies to access the MU website successfully nowadays:

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi07.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

No new comments, problems, requests or even further solutions have been posted. Absolutely great! :thumbup 'Cause I'm going to try to interpret this (for me the only way to do that) in the way that all important solutions have already been posted here, and everyone in the forum seems to have no problems anymore to access WU or MU website for checking updates in Windows XP. And so, maybe, one purpose of this thread might have been fulfilled!  internet2.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper  matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction