Folder Fun

justacruzr2

Everytime either I or Windows access a file, the folder that file was in is created again.  It's annoying and I'm wondering if there is a way to turn that off.  My other XP installation on my other computer doesn't do this.  The big difference between the 2 systems is that one is XP on a FAT32 drive and the other (with the problem above) is XP on a NTFS drive.  Is this just a quirk of the NTFS file system or can this behavior be turned off?

When you go to your Computer Management -> Services, do you have a service called "Volume Shadow Copy" running by chance?

By "created again", are you referring to the "timestamp"?  If so, maybe this - https://www.techrepublic.com/article/improve-windows-xp-pros-ntfs-performance-by-disabling-the-accessed-timestamp/

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

When you go to your Computer Management -> Services, do you have a service called "Volume Shadow Copy" running by chance?

By "created again", are you referring to the "timestamp"?  If so, maybe this - https://www.techrepublic.com/article/improve-windows-xp-pros-ntfs-performance-by-disabling-the-accessed-timestamp/

I'll have to check the services for that...not sure.  By created I mean the same way Windows recreates menu shortcuts everytime the clock changes from DST to CDST except that it does it all the time.

Volume Shadow Copy is set on manual in Services and is not running.  And I have to correct what I said before.  What Windows is doing is continually "modifying" folders every time they are accessed.  I checked the properties of that drive and "let system index this drive" was checked but I have unchecked it but it didn't help.  What's annoying about this is I check the drive after every session to see what has been created or modified and I get this long list of folders that I have to weed thru.  Win XP on my other computer doesn't do this and I have no idea why they both behave differently.

Just now, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Can you submit a screencap of Task Manager's "Processes" tab?

I haven't been able to find a snipping tool that works yet....even when they say they are compatible with XP.  So at the moment I can't.  Can you recommend one that you know works?

Also some additional searching reveals that this problem I'm having is not unique.  Others have experienced it as well.  Here is a sample question that explains what I'm talking about (from Microsoft's website):

"I am having this problem with files on the server (Windows Server 08).  One of my users just pointed out to me that when he goes into a directory and drills down and then goes out without changing anything, the date on the folder changes (modify date).  How can I stop this from happening unless there is an actual change made?"

There were also other people asking the same question about Windows 7.

39 minutes ago, justacruzr2 said:

Can you recommend one that you know works?

XP has a built-in program called "Paint".

Hit the "PrtScn" button on your keyboard while the Task Manager "Processes" tab is open then open "Paint" and either use Ctrl-V or the menu pulldown to "paste" what the Print Screen button copied.

Make sure that the Task Manager window is maximized so that all processes are visible.

44 minutes ago, justacruzr2 said:

There were also other people asking the same question about Windows 7.

I'm not seeing this modify-date issue in any of my 7 or XP computers.  It pretty much has to be a "background process" or system "service", or so it seems.

Make sure that "system restore" is disabled (at least just to rule it out as a culprit, though I personally never use "system restore" as I have my own backup/restore), make sure that "indexing" is disabled, make sure that your hard drive is not being "defragged" (this is not the 1990's anymore).

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I had him check that in Post #2 - but I do like your link better  :cool:

I missed it :blushing:, I thought your post was about VSS.

However, as a side note and JFYI, there is still something "queer" or at least not fully explained in XP/Explorer/NTFS:

http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=19746

@justacruzr2 please ignore the above link it is just a digression

jaclaz

21 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

XP has a built-in program called "Paint".

Hit the "PrtScn" button on your keyboard while the Task Manager "Processes" tab is open then open "Paint" and either use Ctrl-V or the menu pulldown to "paste" what the Print Screen button copied.

Make sure that the Task Manager window is maximized so that all processes are visible.

Never used  it for that.  Thanks for the idea.  I'll try to get that done tonight.

21 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm not seeing this modify-date issue in any of my 7 or XP computers.  It pretty much has to be a "background process" or system "service", or so it seems.

Make sure that "system restore" is disabled (at least just to rule it out as a culprit, though I personally never use "system restore" as I have my own backup/restore), make sure that "indexing" is disabled, make sure that your hard drive is not being "defragged" (this is not the 1990's anymore).

System Restore is disabled.  I need to get a Backup program one of these days.  I really don't care for the XP/NT Backup app.  I prefer the way backup used to work on the 9x OS's.  XP doesn't back up the registry with everything else.  It does it seperately so now the backup consists of 2 pieces.  That's one of the reasons I keep Millenium on the system.  But I would also like to be able to do that kind of backup in XP.  Just a precaution in case Millenium goes down

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I missed it :blushing:, I thought your post was about VSS.

However, as a side note and JFYI, there is still something "queer" or at least not fully explained in XP/Explorer/NTFS:

http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=19746

@justacruzr2 please ignore the above link it is just a digression

jaclaz

Exactly.  Like I said in an earlier post the XP on my other computer doesn't do this.  I installed XP on both computers from the same disc (XP SP2). And both were upgrade to SP3 from the same file.  Yet they both exhibit different behaviors in some things.  Part of this is possibly explained by the fact the hardware is different on both computers but as for the rest of it....hmm....

On 4/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, justacruzr2 said:

Exactly.  Like I said in an earlier post the XP on my other computer doesn't do this.  I installed XP on both computers from the same disc (XP SP2). And both were upgrade to SP3 from the same file.  Yet they both exhibit different behaviors in some things.  Part of this is possibly explained by the fact the hardware is different on both computers but as for the rest of it....hmm....

Read the article your link points too.  Very interesting and either the same or very similar to what I'm experiencing.  One article I found (think it was the MS website) talked about the timestamp and how to turn it off.  Haven't tried it yet but it brought up another interesting thing I never new....GPEDIT.MSC.  Not put in Administrative tools by default.  I was looking for a way to turn off Autoplay (like everyone else) and that is done in gpedit.msc.  It has a lot of other settings that can be manipulated so I put a shortcut to it on my Administrative Tools menu.  Haven't completely looked at all of it yet but there might be something in there too.  Also did a search for all files with the .msc extension and found about 20.  Some of them are already in Administrative tools and some of those that are, actually have a few more things in them that you don't see when called from the AT menu.  And my apologies....I forgot to do the PrtScrn last night.  I'll get it on here this Monday.  Thanks.