On 4/26/2022 at 1:30 AM, Eclectic said:

I use windows XP pro sp3 x86, though I came across a post by someone who states that he has enabled MyPal68 to work on Windows 2000, though I don't use windows 2000 and am unable to verify whether MyPal68 will work on 2000 or not I will share the link for the benefit of those who want to try modifying the mozglue file as indicated in the link and test it on 2000 ,so here is the link:

modified mozglue file and claims MyPal68 will work on Windows 2000
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&p=1059912

I hope the information in the link will be interesting and helpful to someone.

Can confirm, it runs on Windows 2000 with KernelEX after modifying mozglue.dll and xul.dll.

Here are the instructions I used.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in and see feedback has dropped for this project last Month - any progress?

I realize this is early phase testing, but hopefully he is still working on it to increase our options.

Hope everyone involved is managing as best as possible where there is no peace in the world right now.

I've actually always preferred Feodor2's SLOWER RELEASE PACE.  NOT a fan of "weekly" updates.

Feodor2's slower release has always (in my view) been MUCH better TESTED by Feodor2 before shipping to the public.  I've always felt that Feodor2 tests his own releases.  And Roytam just compiles them and does not test them.

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I've actually always preferred Feodor2's SLOWER RELEASE PACE.  NOT a fan of "weekly" updates.

Feodor2's slower release has always (in my view) been MUCH better TESTED by Feodor2 before shipping to the public.  I've always felt that Feodor2 tests his own releases.  And Roytam just compiles them and does not test them.

I too prefer his pace.

11 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Roytam just compiles them and does not test them

I have to disagree.

I do test my builds, but only preliminarily tested. I just can't test every aspects each time I build.

Edited by roytam1

No problem with this maypal, other than being quantum. As per roytam's builds, I have been using them for 5 or more years, and all issues (within reason) in those builds have always been solved, fast, well and kindly. Just sayin'. 

With regards to @roytam1 and @feodor2, I appreciate their builds very much.
I'm sure just about everyone else here does too...they've played a big role in maintaining modern & reliable browsers for our daily use.
The fact that they still support XP is an incredible bonus, and I definitely don't take that for granted as a longtime XP user.
Funnily enough, there was a time when I was sticking with Feodor's builds because Roy's were updated 'too frequently', and after that there was a time when I switched over to Roy's builds because Feodor's weren't updated 'frequently enough'.
Now I use browsers by both of them, and enjoy them considerably.

The important thing to remember is that Roy's builds tend to be weekly or bi-weekly snapshots of where a particular code base is currently at from a maturity standpoint, while Feodor's builds (at least when he was still working with MCP code) follow the release schedule of the official browsers.
It doesn't make one inherently superior or inferior to the other...it just means their approaches are different.
I've never had any issues with either of them--in fact, if I'm not mistaken, there have been times when Feodor and Roy both mutually benefited from each other's work and helped one another.
For all we know, Roy might end up helping Feodor with MyPal 68 & future MyPal versions, and Feodor might end up helping Roy too.

Actually, I find it quite interesting to go back in the archives and try older versions of some of Roy's browsers...if you go check the gpc/files1.rt section at his website, he has an incredible treasure trove of 'alternative' browsers and other cool stuff.
Early experimental builds of Serpent and New Moon, classic browsers updated with TLS 1.2 & even NSS patches to add TLS 1.2 support to older browsers open up a world of possibilities.
Currently, I'm using MyPal 29.3, both the NHTPG and Humming Owl ungoogled builds of 360EEv11, and a recent Serpent 55 build.
I also use other browsers (Roy's Firefox 3.6, RetroZilla and Phoenix with added TLS 1.2, Netscape 9 with updated NSS, Opera 12.18, QtWeb, etc.) for more lightweight browsing.
Using a Classilla (Nokia N90) user agent keeps them quite viable even in 2022, even if their rendering capabilities are dated by today's standards...with other user agents, there are a lot of possibilities for experimentation.
And of course, the vintage Geocities/Angelfire-era sites render with no problems...TheOldNet, 68k.news & FrogFind are truly amazing.

I don't expect even Roy's newest build of Serpent 52/55 or New Moon 28 to be able to view every site...some, like DeepL, are starting to run into problems, but I wouldn't abandon them as lost causes just because not every site works 100% correctly.
I care more about a code base being fundamentally solid, stable and reliable than anything else, and that is very true of Roy's browsers.
Feodor was able to prove that he didn't need MCP code to make a good browser, and I think his 'resurrected' MyPal is quite fantastic.
Roy's also done one hell of a job in maintaining mature code bases for his own browser builds.

I believe we can appreciate Feodor without putting Roy down, and appreciate Roy without putting Feodor down...they've both gone above and beyond the call of duty to maintain reliable browser code bases, and by fortunate extension sustain the long-term usability of XP long after many mainstream companies started leaving XP users in the dust.
Too many old computers end up in landfills...because of their work, a lot of computers that would have otherwise ended up at a dump are still in daily use (including the Pentium D-based machine that I use on a daily basis--the 'average' person would have thrown such a PC out by now, often because they'd see the 'Designed for MS Win XP' sticker on it & automatically assume it's old, slow, & useless).
(I'll stop here before I end up in rant territory, if I haven't gotten there already.)

My sincere gratitude to Roy, Feodor, and everyone else here at MSFN! Long live XP and all other great OSes!

16 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Is anyone able to use the latest release without getting this error two minutes in?

mozavutil.png.056a1f71f211c139e552f8fe4d558f92.png

Nothing peculiar about my system...  Serpent works fine...

No problem here. Never seen this error before! I use Mypal 68 in single-process mode. Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

28 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Is anyone able to use the latest release without getting this error two minutes in?

mozavutil.png.056a1f71f211c139e552f8fe4d558f92.png

Nothing peculiar about my system...  Serpent works fine...

I can confirm that MyPal 68 works absolutely fine on my end (and am typing this reply from MP68 right now). In fact, it hasn't crashed on me once (not even when I was using the beta version from before the current release). Of course, my use cases are different from those of others, and I am very grateful I've been lucky enough not to have a crash or error yet.
It seems the 68ESR code base was already quite stable when Feodor decided to fork it for XP--I'm not sure if any updates, aside from security fixes, are still coming out that are applicable to that code base, though. (Of course, I know Mozilla ended support for 68ESR quite a while ago, but there are still bits and pieces of later/future code that could be used to perfect & stabilize it as much as possible.)

8 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

It works great here. Never got a crash here either. Awaiting Mypal versions 78 and 91. Mainly 91 since there will be an even better and modern experience.

For me Mypal 68 is working great too. No crashes and an overall impressive performance on hard-to-load websites. But regarding to the development of higher versions I would prefer completing missing functions in Mypal's settings and fixing the immature addon support at the moment. Generally I think it's an early state of development and there is some work necessary to get a final version of Mypal 68. :yes: Anyway, I am glad to have a browser like Mypal 68 and very interested in coming releases.  :thumbup 

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)