I was wondering if we were going to have a thread dedicated to this subject.  I'm not suggesting that I be the one to start it, especially since my use for it isn't XP-specific.  But I've been longing for a Quantum browser based on ESR 60 with backported updates to use, even on Windows 8.  Well, with the steeper requirements that Web Components seems to bring to the need for modern browsers, I guess v68 is as good a base to work from as any.

I'm very excited about the project, and I was hoping that a dedicated thread following its progress be in place here,

Edited by Jody Thornton

As a longtime XP user, I'm already preparing for the worst, and fully expect that I will have to upgrade in the future (my immediate upgrade plan is Vista with the extended kernel, though 7 is definitely an option also). I have no illusions about what the future may hold--honestly, I am VERY grateful to still be able to use this legendary OS after so many years.
For now, I am extremely happy that there are still some truly solid browsing options for XP users, and the introduction of MyPal 68 opens up a world of possibilities.
I'm still keeping 29.3.0 around (the final Pale Moon-derived version) as a reminder of all the hard work @feodor2 put into it over the years, and an appreciation for what he was able to accomplish before Matt Tobin and 'friends' rained on his parade.

I like the idea of having a thread devoted to MyPal 68! I'm definitely on board with it. Hopefully Feodor will be able to use the thread to share valuable insights and information as he sees fit.
To get the ball rolling, here is the GitHub page for downloading the browser and following its development:
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/

Searching for "feodor2 mypal68" on Google does not offer this as the first search result yet: that is still the original (and now abandoned) MyPal page on GitHub (which itself links to the current MyPal page). Hopefully within the next week or two, that will change!

I've been running MP68 a couple of hours now. Considering it's a beta it's quite OK. Visited some 15 sites and downloaded files from Softpedia/MajorGeeks. One total freeze where I had to kill it with the task manager and a couple of tab chrashes but the browser didn't chrash/freeze.

Not much fiddling yet, only changed the security.tls.version.min value to 3.

It's using more memory than AF EE360r11 which is a problem for my doorstop, a Thinkpad A31 with a P4 1.6 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/Radeon7500 16MB running XP Pro SP3. I have Mypal29.3 - Serpent52/55 - Seamonkey - NM28 - AF EE360r11/r13.5 - H_Owlv11 and K-Meleon installed.

AF EE360r11 still my choice on this laptop since it's faster and doesn't crash/freeze. K-Meleon is the fastest one of them all but too many sites have problems.

With my specs Youtube is useless but MP68 plays 360p videos without stuttering on Cloud Tube.

Logging in to Protonmail resulted in an instant crash when I pressed Enter after providing username/pw:

Three Event ID 26 at different locations.

"Application popup: mypal.exe - Application Error : The exception Illegal Instruction
An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
(0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x3fb20155.
Click on OK to terminate the program"

Gmail is working OK.

Note: be sure to have a look at the Issues reported on Github.

Thanks to the Three Musketeers that keeps my doorstop running! :)

*** This message was posted with Mypal 68 ***...

Sorry, I ment the Four Musketeers... roytam1, Feodor2, Humming Owl and NotHereToPlayGames

Edited by Skorpios

2 hours ago, Skorpios said:

"Application popup: mypal.exe - Application Error : The exception Illegal Instruction
An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
(0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x3fb20155.
Click on OK to terminate the program"

I think you hit a function that uses newer instruction sets than your processor supported (maybe SSE3/SSSE3/SSE4[A/.1.2]/AVX/etc.)

In MyPal, you can reduce RAM by reducing dom.ipc.processCount or making one process.

On slow computers Youtube videos can be watched through WMP and VLC NPAPI plugins https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xv8i6fbojvbxlqd/vmp.JPG

Hardware acceleration Direct3D9 is on the way. But you can enable OpenGL H/A layers.prefer-opengl

Edited by grey_rat

Instead of that I changed browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false. It's running much smoother as a single process and the memory usage is on par with AF EE360r11.

---

I've not tried those plugins since CloudTube is playing OK with 360p setting on all XP-browsers I've tried. The big disadvantage is that CT doesn't play videos from vevo and some other providers. If I run into a video that doesn't play on CT I use K-Meleon in mobile mode.

21 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I think you hit a function that uses newer instruction sets than your processor supported (maybe SSE3/SSSE3/SSE4[A/.1.2]/AVX/etc.)

I just tried to login at protonmail with NM28. Extreeeemly slow login with two "Unresponsive script" warnings but then everything worked as usual. Normally I use AF EE360v11 without problems with proton BUT after beeing logged in I noticed that NM28 feels faster when opening mails and jumping between folders. Maybe the placebo effect kicked in...

A Quantum thing that causes MP68 to instantly crash at proton login?...

My first message and newbie here compared to your level of knowledge...So, sorry in advance if i say something wrong for you.

I was using FF 52.9.0 since years and XP SP3 (32 bit) on an old  laptop. (with Intel P6100 2.0 GHZ CPU / 4 GB RAM ~ seems 3.42gb anyway) This seems incredible for me. I just downloaded and trying...It is working much better than I expected. I mean, i was expecting more error from that Quantum browser version of Firefox but for this moment it's good for me on my system. Thanks to those who contribute.

-- I was able to install uBlock Origin from official Firefox Add-on website. (Before, i was using the legacy version from github) I simply copy paste my filters etc and no problem on it. I also can install many add-on from official site without problem.

-- Youtube loading so fast now and not using much RAM from even my FF 52..It may directly related ublock firstly... Plus, surprisingly after i start to use this user-agent since 2-3 days,

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/100.0.4896.75 Safari/537.36

Youtube loading like a jet and player not using much ram on me (with also uBlock active) I don't know the main reason...Maybe because of youtube's that annoying polymer fetch scripts or other something which i totally newbie (polyfill's, endless js frameworks with catching and loading with UA) But in the end finally i can view videos without using another embed tube script from youtube.com site without my laptop fan louding and without %100 CPU usage.

-- The biggest bad thing for me at this moment which already pointed above is protonmail causes crash. i tried many times with trying to do something but result same.

Even on old.protonmail.com or new app, it causes fast crash. Hope they can patch it soon.

Regards.

Edited by thomasxxx

Hello, this is great news. I have been waiting a very long time for Firefox Quantumn on XP, and I lived to see it. I will have access to a computer with XP tomorrow and will test it. For now, I'm using on a virtual machine, and except for problems with some pages, it works perfectly. It's just a shame that you can't change the default search engine to Google....

6 hours ago, msquidpl said:

It's just a shame that you can't change the default search engine to Google....

Not by default, but thanks to the Mycroft Project, you can!
If you go to https://mycroftproject.com/google-search-plugins.html
you'll get a whole collection of Google search plugins to choose from. Just click on the one you like best, and it'll take you to a plugin installation page. Click on the icon on the left-hand corner of the search bar, and it should give you a pull-down menu with an option to add it as a search engine. From there, you can go into the Preferences menu and set it as the default! These plugins focus on web search.
Alternatively, here are two more links to consider:
https://mycroftproject.com/all-google-search-plugins.html (covers all Google search results, including image and map search)
https://mycroftproject.com/dlstats.html (lists the most downloaded plugins from the Mycroft Project site--Anon's !Google is ranked #1)

Hi there. Testing it.  It works well in heavy scripted sites (fb, yt and the like), probably better than 360chrome. However, it has all the issues of FF post 52: poor interface, lack of suitable addons, privacy issues, etc.. Therefore, I will keep it for alternative use when sp52 doesn't work.

Will report on use of user.js, in particular hardware acceleration and e10s, in separate comment

Noscript last (FF) version works, but I do not like it -what version is recommended? The same applies to ublock: last FF version installs and works well, but the interface is lacking -what version is recommended?

Greasemonkey last FF version installs, and scripts from usual places do as well. I cannot find, however, where the settings are saved. I would like to have this to have preconfigured scripts if I rebuild the profile.

SP52 ADDONS THAT SEEM TO WORK in MYPAL

Noname.png.ce1221abc8c02ea3595d18a24ba07579.png

FIREFOX ADDONS THAT SEEM TO WORK in MYPAL

Noname.png.7010af8f265cfe6beff19a241388bde7.png

Edited by dmiranda