Windows XP/2003 x32 on Modern Hardware FAQ

Mov AX, 0xDEAD

@pappyN4

Hi ;)

I tried several times with two XP Integral Edition ISOs (with Microsoft and Silicon Motion drivers) to replicate your issue but I have encountered any problems.

It worked every time I chose the NVMe disk partition on which to install XP, highlighted the "quick format" and then pressed the "ESC" key to return to the partition choice screen.

In the past few days, however, while installing XP with the MS NVMe v2.0 driver once the system froze at 20% of formatting. Restarting and repeating the installation all went well.

Just for fun and if you have some time, could you try the modifications I linked here? Unfortunately, the method you described in your Github guide doesn't work on my systems.

Edited by Andalu

@Andalu

This "frozen" happens, when you use an nvme device, that has been used for some time (or formatted(!)).

So, trim your nvme device and do not use "format" under XP, because this shortens the lifetime.

The nvme device can be "trimmed" for example under win8.1 (tools for disk).

When you use an nvme device under XP,

until now I do not know a tool, that can trim an nvme device under xp

and so this "frozen" happens.

It goes away after one time "trim"

Dietmar

@Dietmar

A tool that performs trim on NVMe in XP would be there and it is Adata SSD tool v1.2.0 that works with the Silicon Motion driver. Although it does not accurately report smart data:

Image-1.png

the trim operation seems to be completed without problems:

Image-2.png

The question is whether how effective is the trim on the NVMe drive since I don't know a way to perform a certain verification because other tools (for example TrimCheck) also provide contradictory information.

Edited by Andalu

Hey @pappyN4, K4Sum1 and I were wondering if you could add RTLDowncaseUnicodeChar to this: https://github.com/pappyN4/NTOSKRNL_Emu

K4Sum1 says this can be compiled to work with Vista and that if you can do it, he would be one step closer to getting newer AMD graphics driver (such as AMD Radeon R4/Stoney Ridge, etc) working with Vista.

CC: @win32, @D.Draker K4Sum1 may be on to something here. This would be huge if he got the drivers working for it and expand Vista compatibility to possibly the AMD Windows 7 EOL! Stay tuned!

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

On XP SP3 when doing dxdiag.exe,

the "Input" fails.

It depends on USB. When I disable all usb on any z690 board,

no crash happens.

I try a Windbg session for to look at this crash.

The only information I get is

LPC[ 270.2fc ]: csrss.exe Attempted ReplyWaitReceive to Thread 89ab2468 (dxdiag.exe)
LPC[ 270.2fc ]: failed.  MessageId == 12669  Client Id: 9d4.9d8
LPC[ 270.2fc ]:          Thread MessageId == 0  Client Id: 9d4.9d8

Do you have an idea, how to get more information about this crash from dxdiag

or do you have an idea, why this happens

Dietmar

• 2 weeks later...

hello, my haswell pc (i5 4460) has issues with windows xp.

my polling rate spazzes out up to 8000+ hz instead of staying 125hz constant which seems to cause terrible mouse lag which is noticeable when moving the mouse in games.

sometimes polling rate stays down to 65 hz for a little while but then it goes back up to 8000+ hz

windows xp constantly freezes after every once in a while causing lag when i have any audio drivers installed for my onboard audio.

for example, after every 1-2 seconds when pc is idle, i load a drive or a folder that then takes 1-3 seconds to load that drive/folder when it should be instant (it only happens when i have any audio driver installed for my onboard audio).

setting windows xp to use only 1 core alleviates windows xp from freezing or locking up but polling rate issue still exists but is much less rampant (most of the time its 65 hz but sometimes goes up to more than 125 hz which shouldnt happen).

none of these issues are happening in windows 7.

are these problems specific to my pc or is this happening with haswell and higher?

Edited by ward201185

it could be.

the polling rate issue is apparently not a new thing.

its apparently introduced in motherboards with x58 chipset and higher according to some old forum post back in 2010-2011.

people here have installed windows xp in modern pcs and nobody has ever mentioned this issue.

it could literally be present in your pc if you are running windows xp x86.

you could try downloading mouse rate checker 1.1. beta and try it out for yourself.

https://imgur.com/jvKWFxy

polling rate is still going up to 8khz

polling rate issue still exists regardless of whether hd audio driver is installed or not.

its just that windows xp gets unstable and starts having an issue loading things when its using all my cores after installing hd audio driver.

Edited by ward201185

I tried the mouserate.exe tool:

Windows XP x86 on Intel Z68 with i5-3550: about 300Hz max with "show" checked / around 4000 to 5000 Hz with it "show" unchecked.

Windows 7 x64  on Intel Z68 with i5-3550: 125Hz max **

Windows XP x86 on Intel GM45/ICH9M with Core 2 duo: 125Hz max **

Windows XP x86 on AMD E-350 Nettop: 125Hz max **

** = Both with and without "show" checkbox.

But I have no practical issues with the Windows XP x86 on Intel Z68. Not that I know of. All loads and temperatures are in check. 3Dmark 2005 scores the exact same on both Win XP vs Win 7.

something is odd.

i used hidusbf to overclock the polling rate.

but polling rate always gets cut in half.

games dont feel nice to move with 62 hz or in general, using 250 hz brings it back to 125hz and it feels normal.

i use 125hz as default, mouse rate checker reports 62 hz instead.

i use 250 hz, mouse rate checker reports 125 hz.

etc and etc.