Windows 8, ASUS X55A Laptop, and Virtualbox 64-Bit. Can't Get 64-Bit!

GusCE6

Hello.

I'm trying to get Windows 10 64-Bit running on Virtualbox on a Windows 8 64-Bit ASUS X55A laptop.

Problem is, all I get are the 32-Bit options, including Windows 10. This Virtualbox is the most recent.

I've tried a number of things but have yet to get those options. I HAVE successfully gotten XP 32-Bit running, so I have that part down.

Online advice includes activating some sort of "Virtual Hardware" option in the BIOS/UEFI (or something like that), but that option is nowhere to be found.

Can anyone help me with this? I do NOT want to actually make Windows 10 the host Operating System here!

Thanks.

8 hours ago, GusCE6 said:

Hello.

I'm trying to get Windows 10 64-Bit running on Virtualbox on a Windows 8 64-Bit ASUS X55A laptop.

Problem is, all I get are the 32-Bit options, including Windows 10. This Virtualbox is the most recent.

I've tried a number of things but have yet to get those options. I HAVE successfully gotten XP 32-Bit running, so I have that part down.

Online advice includes activating some sort of "Virtual Hardware" option in the BIOS/UEFI (or something like that), but that option is nowhere to be found.

Can anyone help me with this? I do NOT want to actually make Windows 10 the host Operating System here!

Thanks.

Hi,

It looks like the cpu that comes with your laptop by default: Intel Celeron 1000M doesn't support any virtualization technology, so running any x64 OS in virtual machines is not possible and performance on any virtual machines will be significantly lower.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-X55A-SO223D.102423.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Celeron-1000M-Notebook-Processor.87690.0.html

You may consider upgrading your cpu to at least i3 (still has to be ivy bridge), but first search the internet to see if it's possible for your laptop model. Keep in mind that most likely you will have to change your BIOS

How would I go about changing the BIOS? I've seen downloaded files that are supposed to do that, but I prefer to trust this site.

Its BIOS is X55A.413 according to DXDIAG. Its processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B980 @ 2.4 GHz (2 CPUs).

So far I've gotten Windows XP running with Virtualbox. The big accomplishment there, if you want to call it that, is the game "Tanktics" now works- well, I like it. 

The idea here is to get a game called "Delores Thimbleweed Park" running. For some reason that DOS-style game has the most outrageous specs I've ever run into myself- even the acid trip game "The Sparkle: Evo 2" doesn't have anything like it.

I'll never understand why people program games with engines needing such high specs when it is not necessary. All they are doing is reducing their potential customer base, and judging by the comments Steam still has quite a few Windows 7 users. Maybe you know?

2 hours ago, GusCE6 said:

How would I go about changing the BIOS? I've seen downloaded files that are supposed to do that, but I prefer to trust this site.

Its BIOS is X55A.413 according to DXDIAG. Its processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B980 @ 2.4 GHz (2 CPUs).

Intel Pentium B980 also doesn't have virtualization. Before changing the BIOS you have to search the internet for CPUs supported by Asus X55A and make sure it's even possible to swap them since on some laptops the cpu is soldered to the motherboard. I wouldn't recommend messing with bios before you are sure everything will work and I can't help you with this as I don't have Asus X55A.

• 3 months later...