WDDM 1.2 on Windows 7?

FuzzleSnuz

This was a hot topic back in 2012, and we all know how Microsoft gave up halfway when they brought the D3D11.1 API to Win 7 but didn't bother bringing WDDM 1.2 along with it. That was now ten years ago. Since then, especially in recent years, there have been some great projects that make the better versions of Windows remain viable in these dark, modern times. I'm thinking of things like the extended kernels for Vista, the Win 8 xHCI driver stack brought to Win 7, and even 12on7 by Microsoft themselves. I even see some talk about making extended Win 7 and 8 kernels now, given that the right person (or people) with the right knowledge shows up to do it.

Given the recent progress with these kind of things, I would like to know if anyone, anyone at all, is aware of a current-day effort to get WDDM 1.2 functional on Windows 7. By functional, I mean something that makes it possible to install a Win 8 graphics driver in order to benefit from the improvements in WDDM 1.2, like the superior GPU preemption model. For certain graphics applications that abandoned Win 8 early but kept Win 7 support, this would be an incredibly helpful thing to have.

Edited by FuzzleSnuz
Added tags

On 3/31/2022 at 6:39 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

what applications abandoned windows 8 or 8.1 but kept windows 7? I only saw games.

Some versions of Autodesk Maya. For Maya, it's not a technological support issue but rather a "we only bothered testing on Win 7 and 10" kind of thing. There isn't any anti-Win8 behavior as far as I can tell, but there could be a mountain of showstopping bugs that aren't immediately evident. It was a decision driven by the leverage of Autodesk's enterprise clients, who were only using 7 and 10 at the time and thus pressured Autodesk to do the same. This isn't uncommon.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:39 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

office 365 etc kept windows 8 but dropped win 7

This is only partially true. I have 365 installed on my machine and it receives "security updates only". Microsoft decided to do a freebie ESU program for 365 on Win 7. Ofc 365 is dysfunctional spyware and I use 2010 whenever I can.

spacer.png

On 4/5/2022 at 5:26 PM, vinifera said:

without source code, i doubt anyone can port such feature except M$ themself (remember WoW)

Maybe there is another Chris Sawyer out there who can make sense of disassembled NT 6 code :angel Plus, Jaguarek62 himself knows a thing or two.