Windows 7 Extended Kernel

xpandvistafan

• 2 weeks later...

So cool

BTW: Can someone maybe tell me if this kernel will replace some built in APIS

I remember once I tried to install KernelEx on Windows 2000 using this:

and it broke my Fingerprint sensor and WIFI on my Lenovo Thinkpad

So I am a bit afraid to install this on my production machine

I am using Windows 7 because of 2 reasons: Aero (which can probably be made to work on Windows 11) and Microsoft Virtual PC 2007: https://archive.org/details/virtual-pc

which does not work on anything newer (it kinda works on Windows 8.1 but I don't want to got to that) (and I cannot use anything newer then Virtual PC 2007 because this is the only program that has Guest Additions for OS/2 and MS DOS)

and because Microsoft would (probably) never open sourced it, sadly Virtual PC 2007 could never work on Windows 11 (it uses vmm.sys driver that also Windows Phone emulator uses iirc and because of that and I think that network stack has changed over the years, this program will never work on anything newer, and making it work even if we had its source would probably not be possible)

So if Virtual PC 2007 breaks because of this kernel, its no diference to me if I just upgrade to 11

This kernel would make my life a lot easier though, because sometimes you just need a python update, or nodeJS update or some other program update, and I realy don't like the idea to patch the installer to refuse installation even if the program would probably work fine

Also will this kernel support automatic updates (I mean remember the user that new version is uvailable) (because you know how it is, you install it once, and then forget that it exists :) )

Edited by veso266

how do i install this, theres no tutorial on the readme or anything and it seems very interesting, hopefully some day this could be used to run windows 10 apps that block 7 users from running them

On 10/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, floppa said:

how do i install this, theres no tutorial on the readme or anything

Download the latest version from here: https://github.com/vxiiduu/VxKex/releases
Install it like any other program.
After installation in the properties of the shortcut or exe you will see a tab, there you enable VxKex. And if the program requires Windows newer than 7, you choose which version it requires.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 3:48 AM, roytam1 said:

even better if supporting newer vcersions (8.1/10 LTSB 2015/2016) as well.

It would be very useful, especially Windows 8.0 and LTSB 2015 that have many artificial limitations that Windows 7, 8.1 and LTSB 2016 do not have.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 11:38 PM, mina7601 said:

Well, there's already a suggestion for support for Windows 8.1 here: https://github.com/vxiiduu/VxKex/issues/44

I also want that Tool for Windows 8.1, since Google Chrome for example still works on Windows 8.1 but they implemented something in the latest builds, where the Browser instantly crashes when it it launched on 8.1. If there is a way to spoof Windows 10, Chrome/Chromium would still work. 

The --no-sandbox hack no longer works !

2 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I also want that Tool for Windows 8.1, since Google Chrome for example still works on Windows 8.1 but they implemented something in the latest builds, where the Browser instantly crashes when it it launched on 8.1. If there is a way to spoof Windows 10, Chrome/Chromium would still work. 

No it would not work. The problem is that UpdateProcThreadAttribute does not support Job Objects as an attribute until Windows 10 (actually since build 98xx where it works too). I actually suppressed the UpdateProcThreadAttribute error on Vista and it does not "crash" as such, but pages do not work, probably because it still does not actually initialize the job objects as such.

4 hours ago, Cocodile said:

I'm sure office 2002 works with XP.

They're not talking about the same Office version. Version 2002 is the last you can run with Office 2016/365 on Windows 7. Of course, the actual version of Office XP released in 2001-02 can run on 7, just the request is to make newer Office 2016/365 releases to run on W7 (2003, 2004 ... 2212 and so on).

image.png.81b99fa6d2686bb06820c1ff70dce116.png

Also I'm someone who is tempted to support this idea, as they stopped features updates in v2002, while in v2003, they introduced something I was awaiting for so long : the HEX-based color selector, which is much easier to use than the ARGB/TSL selectors. You can't imagine how p***ed off I was when I saw that.

On 1/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, yoltboy01 said:

The --no-sandbox hack no longer works !

I'm typing this on W8.1 running Chrome 111.0.5542.0, so it still works. I've found that after rev 5520 many of Chrome's internal pages will cause it to crash. The worst offender being chrome://newtab because I use it often. If Chrome is crashing when launched it's either because its trying to restore a previous session with an offending page or its starting a new instance with newtab. The workaround is to downgrade to 5520 and install one of several available extensions that redirects chrome://newtab to another website.

You can try this one or this other one. But theres a bunch of others.