Windows 7 Extended Kernel

xpandvistafan

On 4/21/2022 at 2:33 PM, Aspire89 said:

Hello, I recently read the news that one independent developer managed to launch the Microsoft Store in Windows 7(https://windowsru.com/7/9k6v#comment-form), I have a question is it possible to make Windows universal applications work on this OS (Windows 7)?

Looks like a fake. He probably uses unity mode in vmware (notice the green frame around the window). It's also strange that the taskbar has two discord icons.

Edited by zzzmod

On 4/21/2022 at 3:33 AM, Aspire89 said:

Hello, I recently read the news that one independent developer managed to launch the Microsoft Store in Windows 7(https://windowsru.com/7/9k6v#comment-form), I have a question is it possible to make Windows universal applications work on this OS (Windows 7)?

image-024227ec9bdb8e7638857e68c56ec401.png

Backporting the stuff inside the system to do this would be far too hard for even the best we have serving the community today.

maybe is it possible to extract some files from Windows 10, then try to modify it some way. My question is, can that ExKernel be installed on any Windows 7? Or it requires a specific language.

• xpandvistafan changed the title to Windows 7 Extended Kernel
  • 4 weeks later...

Are there any instructions on how to compile the interim release? I am trying to help someone who must stay on Windows 7. Many thanks for any help.

Edited by degen

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2022 at 8:33 AM, Aspire89 said:

image-024227ec9bdb8e7638857e68c56ec401.png

Windows 7 does not support these API‘s. The UWP Platform depends on many factors. So, although it‘s soo cool that he ported the Store back to Windows 7, unfortunately he won‘t be able to install anything with it. Windows 7 doesn‘t even have Microsoft Accounts build in, so you won‘t be able to log-in the Store for certain apps. You may be able to download programs like Firefox or Audacity, since they‘re .exe files. 

I‘m curious if the dev could port that back to Windows 8.1 as well, as I think 8.1 is way more capable of running a newer Store and also needs a newer Store, since the old one literally has nothing left

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 2:32 AM, triplepresidento said:

Include support for this library. Is a Add-On called GSX (Ground Services X) for Prepar3D v4 Flight Sim. 

FsDreamTeam (developer) says that this library is available in Windows 8.1.

I will add that to next release. In the meantime you can go to registry, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VXsoft\VxKexLdr\DllRewrite, add a new String key, named api-ms-win-downlevel-ole32-l1-1-0.dll, and set value to ole33.dll and see if it works. Let me know whether that helped

screenshot.jpg

I have been greatly overhauling the internals of VxKex recently. In upcoming releases, there will be big improvements, such as:

• Better support for applications which are started from other applications. Many installers depend on this functionality, but so far the implementation in VxKex has been buggy and incomplete. In the upcoming releases, this will be done properly.
  • Better support for rewriting imports of DLLs that are loaded after a program starts. Currently you have to tick "Wait for child process to exit" in the settings, which many users probably didn't know to do. In the upcoming releases, DLLs that are loaded after program startup will always be rewritten, as they should be.
  • Better support for console applications. Currently, the support for console applications started from cmd.exe is buggy, as a direct result of #1 (applications started from other applications), and required a workaround.
  • Better error reporting messages. Some users may have noticed the beginnings of better error messages starting from version 0.0.0.3. The default error messages provided by Windows are sometimes extremely unclear, so in new releases they will be replaced by custom error messages which tell you what is going on.
  • Better information logging. Currently, log is displayed in a console window, which is often too narrow to display the information properly - and the text is disorganized. In the future, logs will be stored in a different format and you will be able to view them neatly in an application similar to Windows Event Viewer.

You can expect a new release in the next few weeks or months containing some of the above features. Feel free to ask here or open github issues if you have technical questions.

code.gif.f8439cbda348bd06b2e35f0b085f4d27.gif