Windows 7 Extended Kernel

xpandvistafan

Well, it seems that @vxiiduu has finally released his VxKex Windows 7 api extensions that you can use to run modern programs on Windows 7.  It works very well so far, and makes many programs such as the latest version of iTunes which normally wouldn't run on Windows 7 run.

NOTE: These are not modified Microsoft binaries, these are different binaries that just implement more functions their what would normally be on Windows 7. 

Link: https://github.com/vxiiduu/VxKex

Latest Version: 0.0.0.2

Edited by xpandvistafan

2 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

I have another question, is it legal? As far as I know, you can't share directly modified Microsoft binaries. That's why there's not a topic about XP's One Core API here.

These aren't modified binaries, they are own programs made by author to add missing functions, not original files edited to add missing functions.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:45 PM, xpandvistafan said:

Had some success with this program already. The latest version of iTunes runs with some modifications but with no text, possibly due to me deleting some Windows 7 incompatible import calls.  9ZmJUyT.png

Sadly, it turns out that with version 0.0.0.2, iTunes doesn't get spoofed, only with version 0.0.0.1. I've filed an issue about this on GitHub.

On 4/3/2022 at 10:45 PM, xpandvistafan said:

Had some success with this program already. The latest version of iTunes runs with some modifications but with no text, possibly due to me deleting some Windows 7 incompatible import calls.  9ZmJUyT.png

What version of Chrome are you using? It's been ages since I've seen trapezoid tabs like that. Curious if you've somehow got them on a recent version of Chrome... (I've got some older versions, 50-something and 70-something that have those tabs, but even the more recent one throws up compatibility warnings from a lot of websites, including GitHub)

6 hours ago, Darth Agnon said:

What version of Chrome are you using? It's been ages since I've seen trapezoid tabs like that. Curious if you've somehow got them on a recent version of Chrome... (I've got some older versions, 50-something and 70-something that have those tabs, but even the more recent one throws up compatibility warnings from a lot of websites, including GitHub)

I use Chrome 70. I am fine with the newer style tabs, but I am using Chrome 70 just for the nostalgia. It is the final version that includes those old style tabs and it also the first version that includes the final version of TLS 1.3, which means it can connect to virtually any website. Sadly, some websites like Github don't work properly anymore. 

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This should restore GitHub but it won't restore all polyfill issues for Chrome 70  --  https://github.com/InterLinked1/chromefill

Worked for Chrome 70. Fixes quite a bit of websites. Thank you for that. I wonder what is the oldest version of chrome that will work with that extension.

2 days ago a new version of the API Extensions was released, this version requires you to build from source, which requires Visual Studio 2010 SP1. I believe this version fixes version spoofing issues and adds support for the OneDrive and the Python installer.