Compiling ACPI v2.0 driver for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 (x32/x64)

Mov AX, 0xDEAD

@Andalu

I think, that this USB3 crash happens not randomally on Intel USB3.

It depends on, which files where copied first, second etc. .

The crash happens, when a lot of files with a size of about 2 Gb are copied one after the other

Dietmar

@Dietmar

I just copied 76 files with variable size from 1.9 to 2.9GB for a total of 201GB from an external USB3 disk (connected to an 'intel' 5GB USB port) to a SATA to USB3 adapter (connected to an 'intel' 10GB USB ports) without any block.

The files were collected in groups of 4 or 5 files. Each group was copied one after the other, overlapping the copy of one group while the copy of another was underway. The copy operation has never been interrupted. After about 180 GB, the copy speed was drastically reduced but at least no issue has occurred.

I will do other tests to get more information.

Edit1: 201GB package just copied from the sata to USB3 adapter (connected to an 'intel' 10GB USB port) to the internal 970 Evo NVMe without issues in 20 min.

Edit2: 201GB package copied from the internal 970 Evo NVMe to the external NVMe to USB3.2 adapter without any block in 8 min.

In both cases, files copied starting from the smaller one up to the bigger one.

In my previous tests, the block occurred by copying larger files also (7/8/9/10 GB and over) without a pre-configured order.

Edit3: previuos test repeated but now copying files without order and again no issue detected. This time I mounted a different NVMe disk on the USB3.2 Gen.2 adapter.

Edit4: new test by copying 41 files for a total of 241GB from a NVMe to USB 3.2 Gen.2 adapter (RTL9210B chipset) to another NVMe to USB 3.2 Gen.2 adapter (RTL9210B chipset): also in this case the copy was completed without any crash in 14 min.

Edit5: other test by copying at same time 41 files (241GB) from the NVMe to USB adapter (RTL9210B chipset) + 277.863 files (6.4GB) from a sata to USB adapter to another external NVMe to USB adapter (RTL9210B chipset): this time I got the insufficient resources error after the copy of the 277 files was completed while the copy of the other files stopped at 23 files and 149GB.

Test repeated once again using another NVMe to USB 3.2 Gen.2 adapter (RTL9210 chipset) as destination disk and the crash occurs at same point as in the previous one, when the copy reached exactly 160.689.047.447 bytes (149GB).

It's too strange, there must be something else that escapes me (clearly, the maximum number of files on the NVMe disk or in a folder has not been reached).

Edit6: with a different NVMe enclosure (JMS583 chipset) as destination disk, the copy of the 41 files (241GB) stopped before at 22 files and 135GB written while the simultaneous copy of 277.863 files (6.4GB) was already completed as in the previous tests.

Edited by Andalu

On 5/31/2022 at 5:43 AM, Dietmar said:

@Damnation

Until now, there is no USB3 driver for XP, build from win8.1.

But this will be a nice task, also together with ndis6

Dietmar

I had tried to port the win8.1 usb driver on win7, but failed. WIN8.1 usb driver need kmdf 1.13.

Am I right in assuming that the work on acpi.sys has now ended?
All the recent conversation has been about USB 3.0 problems.

I have to say that I'm very grateful for the progress that was made, my Flex 10 is much better on XP now than it was before.
If the freezing on restart could be fixed it would be pretty perfect, as I have a workaround for the sound driver problem.

I'm still puzzled by the restart problem, as it shuts down fine.
I would have thought that the mechanism would be the same for the shutdown phase of restart as it is for shutdown, so I can't see why it would hang on one and not the other.
:dubbio:

@Dave-H

Here are some instructions @Mov AX, 0xDEAD sent me.

(HOST - PC where WinDBG started, TARGET - debuggee H470 WinXP PC)

1) On HOST install Microsoft Debuggers And Tools x86 for Windows 8.1

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

https://developer.microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows/downloads/sdk-archive/ select windows 8.1 SDK

2a) On TARGET place files kdnet.dll kdnet10.dll kdstub.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\
link https://ufile.io/w7fej333
pass 123

kdnet10.dll for INTEL lan chip

for realtek/atheros rename kd_02_10ec.dll/kd_02_1969.dll to kdnet10.dll

2b) On TARGET add TWO lines to end of c:\boot.ini (or d:/e: depend where you have installed XP)
[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS - my example, keep your own variant
[operating systems]
... - previous boot entries
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="LAN Debug"      /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /debug /debugport=NET /HOST_IP=192.168.1.1 /HOST_PORT=50000 /ENCRYPTION_KEY=this.is.secret.key /CPUFREQ=3600 /TARGET_IP=192.168.1.3 /BREAK /ONECPU
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="LAN Debug DHCP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /debug /debugport=NET /HOST_IP=192.168.1.1 /HOST_PORT=50000 /ENCRYPTION_KEY=this.is.secret.key /CPUFREQ=3600 /BREAK /ONECPU

need to edit:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS - path to hdd partition where XP installed, insert your path
3600 - TARGET cpu frequency, dont append "Mhz" !
HOST_IP=192.168.1.1 - IP of HOST, when you connect direct two PC, you usualy don't have connection to router, so you need temporarly set static IP on HOST LAN connection, 192.168.1.1 is example, you can set own or keep this
TARGET_IP=192.168.1.3, IP of TARGET, we self set this IP to lan card, no need to set it in any other places, last digital can be random > 1

3) In firewall on HOST enable port 50000 UDP for incoming connection from TARGET or make rule to allow connection from 192.168.1.3

4) Run Windbg.exe on HOST,  select Kernel Debug, select LAN tab, enter 50000 port number and password this.is.secret.key
you must see message
    Using NET for debugging
    Opened WinSock 2.0
    Waiting to reconnect...

5) Power on TARGET PC, select LAN Debug, wait for miracle

6) If TARGER LAN connection started properly, in Windbg you must see some like:
Connected to Windows XP 2600 x86 compatible target at (Sat Apr  9 01:45:27.697 2022 (UTC + 5:00)), ptr64 FALSE
Kernel Debugger connection established.

************* Symbol Path validation summary **************
Response                         Time (ms)     Location
Deferred                                       srv*C:\SYMBOLS*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Symbol search path is: srv*C:\SYMBOLS*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 UP Free x86 compatible
Built by: 2600.xpsp.080413-2111
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055b1c0
System Uptime: not available
Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
nt!DbgBreakPoint:
804e3586 cc              int     3

7) If you still see "Waiting to reconnect..." you can try second variant with DHCP server.
On HOST you need temporarly install and run any DHCP server (i use simple "DHCP Server for Windows"
from www.dhcpserver.de) and configure it to range 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.10, select LAN Debug DHCP when booting TARGET

type these commands in windbg for debugging -

bu acpi!DriverEntry

g

ed Kd_ACPI_Mask 0x7FFFFFFF

!amli set spewon verboseon logon traceon

g

post full debug log.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:29 PM, Damnation said:

1) On HOST install Microsoft Debuggers And Tools x86 for Windows 8.1

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

https://developer.microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows/downloads/sdk-archive/ select windows 8.1 SDK

2a) On TARGET place files kdnet.dll kdnet10.dll kdstub.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\
link https://ufile.io/w7fej333
pass 123

OK I'm giving this a try, and I've already run into a problem.
I've downloaded the Windows 8.1 SDK online setup file from the second link quoted above.
Is the first link just for reference? It's not clear why it's there.
Should I be downloading something else from it?
The main problem is the last link.
It now says the file has expired for free downloading, and I will have to take out a paid subscription to now get it.
Is it available anywhere else?

@Dave-H

The HOST (debugger) does not need to be running XP like the TARGET (debugee) PC.

It can be running newer OS's like Windows 10, and all windbg needs is a connection to the TARGET PC. Which in this case would be the TARGET PC's IP Address, a port, and encryption key.

Ah, I've got the machines the wrong way around! D'oh! :D
So the debugger needs to go on my main desktop, which I can run Windows 10 on.
Does it still have to be the Windows 8.1 version?