Compiling ACPI v2.0 driver for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 (x32/x64)

Mov AX, 0xDEAD

11 minutes ago, Dietmar said:

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

For this, acpi.sys only needs to know, which is the byte code for the unknown  >acpi2.0 word (here 02 11)

and then it ignores what happens inside this code, jumping to the very first code after (here 02 11) is finished

There is no universal way to jump over unsupported bytecode

In case of Connection() i made decision to keep field definitions because it was used in other place

In case of doubled device definition i jump over all definition to end

in case of I2cSerialBusV2()/GpioInt()/GpioIo() currently no need any fixes, because XP acpi.sys skips this type of resources as "unknow"

I don't know all new acpi v2-v5 sub-opcodes inside parent commands because it requires reading and comparing all acpi specification (1000 pages)

@Dietmar

I've managed to get XP working on my Z370 by BIOS modding without patching a single file.

Here is what you need to do:
- patch DSDT table (fixes ACPI A5 errors);
- Enable TCO Timer (fixes ACPI timer);
- Enable IO MWAIT Redirection (fixes CPU C states).

Edited by daniel_k
To change System Time and Alarm Source is not needed

@daniel_k

I did the same for my Asrock z370 k6 gaming board.

This was crazy hard work, because I cant use the EEpromer for the modded DSDT,

because no place on board for to connect the EEpromer.

So I have to upload whole new Bios always via Win7. This methode does not work on the Flex10 because of its crazy Insyde Bios.

Even the Bios tool reads its Bios out as 3 Mbyte file (means crash, because it is 8MB).

On newer Bios, with a size bigger than 16MB, the Bios tool does not work at all.

So, now it is MUCH more comfortable to let do nice new acpi.sys all this work.

Interesting, on this Flex 10 board I cant install before

with original Bios 93cn59ww Bit64

XP SP3, Vista, win7, win8, win10.

Only win8.1 I can install before.

But now, XP Sp3 with new acpi.sys is the match winner

Dietmar

EDIT: How do you modd DSDT for Enable IO MWAIT Redirection (fixes CPU C states) ?

This I dont have.

Can you upload here your original DSDT from Gigabyte together with the modded DSDT?

Edited by Dietmar

39 minutes ago, daniel_k said:

@Dave-H

Sent you a PM with acpi compiled with the latest patch for your Flex 10 laptop, thanks to @Mov AX, 0xDEAD

OK, I tried that file, and got the same BSOD.

20220509_203210.thumb.jpg.e227cbfcc942786a62ec2911654b6a3c.jpg

I then checked in Windows 10, and found that the setup hadn't actually copied the new file to system32\drivers, it was still the original.
I manually copied it, and the BSOD went away, temporarily!

The setup continued, but on the next reboot the BSOD came back again, exactly the same.
I then used the 'Last Configuration That Worked' option and it then rebooted successfully and carried on!

The system does not restart, it freezes permanently on the 'Windows is shutting down' screen, and I have to do it manually.
On the next reboot, the BSOD came back again, and I had to use 'Last Configuration That Worked' again.
Setup then continued again and this time it carried on until the very last stage, when instead of loading the desktop, it just permanently froze.
On reboot it loaded up OK.

When installing devices, it said that hal.dll was being replaced with an older version and asking if I wanted to do it, and I said no.
On the next boot I got a message that hal.dll is missing or corrupt, and I now can't boot at all!
Should I try to restore it using Windows 10?
:(

Presumably @George King's ISO which I'm installing from, would be OK.
:dubbio:
I seem to remember the business with different HAL versions is quite confusing, at least to me, as different files change their name and become hal.dll depending on what HAL you're using. I just want to get it to boot again without having to do the whole install again!
It seemed logical to me not to replace a newer file with an older one, but in this case it was obviously the wrong thing to do!

@Dave-H

I use an own harddisk for XP in the Flex10. This harddisk before I write with Winhex 00 everywhere and prepare it with RMPrebUSB

with MBR, ntldr, NTFS and force use of LBA.

Then I install XP SP3 from scratch with the new acpi.sys V5 integrated.

All works at once and very fast install.

The only things that still not work on the Flex 10 under XP SP3 is the 3D graphik, because no driver for it.

And also reboot still does not work (I never see this on any other compi), only shutdown works

Dietmar

PS: I use the Storahci driver from Kai Schtrom.

Edited by Dietmar

40 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Presumably @George King's ISO which I'm installing from, would be OK.
I seem to remember the business with different HAL versions is quite confusing, at least to me, as different files change their name and become hal.dll depending on what HAL you're using. I just want to get it to boot again without having to do the whole install again!
It seemed logical to me not to replace a newer file with an older one, but in this case it was obviously the wrong thing to do!

Place it to standard $OEM$ location and reinstall :) When ACPI found in this location it's overwriten on possible places and repacked to SP3.cab too.

Edited by George King

1 hour ago, Dietmar said:

EDIT: How do you modd DSDT for Enable IO MWAIT Redirection (fixes CPU C states) ?

This I dont have.

Can you upload here your original DSDT from Gigabyte together with the modded DSDT?

It's not a DSDT modification.
You need to change default BIOS settings (EFI Setup variables, AMI default setting and IFR default setting) because Enable IO MWAIT Redirection it's not visible in BIOS Setup.

The same way with Enable TCO Timer (fixes ACPI timer), don't need to patch FACP table.

I'll send you the files later.

Edited by daniel_k

1 hour ago, George King said:

Place it to standard $OEM$ location and reinstall :) When ACPI found in this location it's overwriten on possible places and repacked to SP3.cab too.

That's exactly what I did with the new acpi.sys, but the setup didn't appear to use it.
I have had this happen before, and sometimes the files get used and sometimes they don't, and if you remember sometimes they vanish from the folder as if they've been moved instead of copied, but it seems to be very inconsistent.

@Dave-H

Integral Edition could give you a smoother installation experience if you're installing XP from scratch (although it's good that you're testing @George King's XP2ESD too)

Just make sure to swap out the older acpi.sys in Integrator Files\Patches\ACPI drivers with the newer compiled one before running the optional patch integrator script.