Edit mui files ?

NoNameNeeded

I wanted to change the font of the Windows task manager.

The dialogs are to be found in the taskmgr.exe.mui

I was able to edit all the dialog font sizes and save the file BUT the task manager still uses the old font size.

So I edited all the taskmgr.exe.mui files in my language but to no avail, the task manager still uses the old font size.

It's a complete mystery to me, because where does it take the dialogs from if not from the correspondent mui files?

2 hours ago, NoNameNeeded said:

I was able to edit all the dialog font sizes and save the file BUT the task manager still uses the old font size.

So I edited all the taskmgr.exe.mui files in my language but to no avail, the task manager still uses the old font size.

It's a complete mystery to me, because where does it take the dialogs from if not from the correspondent mui files?

Where do u find the mui file?(e.g. system32 or en-US in system32?)

1 minute ago, LonghornXP said:

Where do u find the mui file?(e.g. system32 or en-US in system32?)

All the mui files are found in en-US in system32.

Remember that, you may need to find a different folder for your language. (example: fr-FR for French, de-DE for German, ja-JP for Japanese, etc.)

Works fine for me. I used Resource Hacker, changed all instances of "MS Shell Dlg" to "Comic Sans MS" (there are 17 dialogs you need to do this for), compiled all the resource scripts (Play button on the toolbar in RH) and then saved the files on the desktop before copying them to the MUI folder. I don't think you can change the font of the menus or status bar. But everything else can be changed.
Probably you are either not correctly saving the MUI file or not putting it in the right place.

image.thumb.png.734109a5074ab54dcbaee6fff3999efc.png

I've replaced ALL the mui files that are there (well the right ones)

I can replace the bitmaps and the changes will take effect, so I don't think I change the wrong mui files or that I saved them in the wrong place.