How to *properly* provide source files...

Slightly OT here...

I'm working with a corporate ghost image here (using sysprep) and I'm wondering about the correct way to include an i386 folder in the image for Windows File Protection to utilize.

Copying a i386 folder to the HDD is simple, but to where should it be copied and how do I correct the layout.inf to reflect this source path? Simply pointing the SourcePath reg key to the i386 folder doesn't work. I strongly suspect that my layout.inf needs modification.

Any thoughts?

I found that there are 4 reg keys that need to be altered. My reg file looks like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

"Installation Sources"=hex(7):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,49,00,33,00,38,00,36,00,00,00,\

"SourcePath"="C:"

"ServicePackSourcePath"="C:"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"SourcePath"="C:\\I386"

My source.bat will copy the i386 files to the windows directory, and my source.reg will change the SourcePath to point to this location. Both files are in this forum and on my website listed in my sig. Since you're in a corp environment you might want to use these 2 files to help automate the process. You should never have to touch layout.inf.

-gosh

What prompted this question is my inability to get Windows File Protection working. For some reason, WFP would not recognize my i386 folder and would always prompt for a CD. Yes, I left off the trailing \i386 in the reg keys. Nothing I tried worked. SP1 reinstall, re-copying i386 from my media, etc etc.

I ended up doing an in-place reinstall of Windows XP with integrated SP1 using source files on the local HDD. After all's said and done, WFP now works and I don't have to worry about the location of service pack files since it's been slipstreamed by Microsoft.

Now my new challenge is to get sysprep to stop munching my default user profile. It didn't do this prior to the OS reinstall.

I left out a few things in SYSPREP.INF (like the PC name and domain name) so that the tech could name the PC and join it to the domain during mini-setup. This worked perfectly in the past. Now when I run sysprep, certain things in SYSPREP.INF are being read but others are ignored and mini-setup is running fully unattended. The PC comes back up with a totally stock default user profile although the administrator's profile is fine. My intended default user profile has plenty of customizations (theme/icons/etc) but it vanishes after sysprep.

Is there another answer file hiding out somewhere? :)

RM

My troubles are back. WFP works great on my D400's and D600's. When I drop this image onto a GX110 (uses the same HAL as the laptops), WFP stops working. I know that it survives the sysprep process, just not the migration to foreign hardware. WTF? :)