Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel?

Jakob99

Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel?

• Yes
    • No

Would you guys like to see a Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel? I am well versed with Windows and basic driver functionality, but not with advanced Windows knowledge needed to whip up an Extended Kernel such as incorporating Windows 10 functions. Since software support for Windows 8.1 is still great with the software that doesn't work only needing mods to either remove the version check or simple DLL stubs to run, we can make our first priority drivers, most specifically graphics and Wi-Fi drivers. All the major hardware vendors (Intel, Nvidia, and AMD) have ended support. Intel ended theirs first starting with Kaby Lake (though unofficial mods for drivers up to 10th Gen(?) exist. see this thread) while AMD and Nvidia just ended theirs at roughly the same time last year (In fact, this is being posted from a 2019 AMD laptop with 8.1 on it).

Now, it should be noted that there are some hardware manufacturers that still have support for OSes such as 8.1, and even Windows 2000 in specific instances, to this day! Notable ones include Realtek (certain hardware) and most major touchpad manufacturers such as Elantech (provided you aren't restricted exclusively to HID-Compliant Touchpad with no way to enable PS/2 touchpad).

Realtek still has backwards supports for OSes older than Windows 10, but it depends on the hardware. For instance, the Realtek RTL8892CE WiFi card (not to be confused with the RTL8891CE) is OEM exclusive and has no 8.1 or 7 support. Plus, there are some Realtek Audio drivers that integrate with the graphics card. You'll know you have one of these if there is a red circle on the audio icon right after installation finishes (and hovering over it says "No Audio Device is installed"). Because of this, the Windows default audio driver does not support this configuration and thus, will not load. The standard Realtek HD Audio driver will not work either. Realtek Ethernet still supports Windows 8.1, though it appears Ethernet may be going the way of the dinosaur due to a lack of Ethernet ports on most new laptops.

Most major touchpad vendors should still work. Grab the driver from either the manufacturers website or your laptop manufacturers website. If you have the option to switch between Advanced (HID Compliant, I2C) and Basic (PS/2) emulation touchpad, you can set it to Basic and be fine, but if you only have Advanced, you'll need a USB Mouse.

Despite Intel dropping official support with Kaby Lake, the latest chipset drivers surprisingly still work.

To install Windows 8.1 on modern laptops, just burn the ISO to Rufus with UEFI support and boot it with a USB Mouse connected (plus keyboard if installing from the Desktop). Since 8.1 has generic USB3 drivers in its WinPE unlike 7, no PS/2 peripherals such as adapters are needed. After the installation restarts, you'll get a quick flash of a BSoD. Load back up the install media, hit Shift+F10 to load up Command Prompt, type Notepad.exe, click on File/Open, select All Types instead of .txt, point to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete Intelpep.sys. Exit out and finish Windows install normally. If you update, that file will come back so you'll need to repeat it once more. It would be great if we could find a fix for that file that allows it to function as intended.

I hope I'm not the only one interested with Windows 8.1. Even with UEFI7, it is nearly impossible to install Windows 7 on modern UEFI boards. It doesn't help Legacy Support is being phased out so the amount of new computers with that is dwindling, meaning UEFI support has to be incorporated somehow into 7 (If you guys want to tackle this problem, please start a different thread about this. You have my backing). Plus, there are now 0x0A5 NON-ACPI-COMPLIANT BIOS BSoD's now as well.

tl:dr: In order to get drivers working on Windows 8.1, some incorporation of Windows 10 functions will most likely be needed. There are some hardware vendors still with 8.1 support, but some of the new laptops come with that hardware tied into other components meaning the standard driver will not work. Installing 8.1 is as simple as making the media as UEFI in Rufus, installing it with USB Mouse (and keyboard if on desktop), deleting Intelpep.sys, and finishing it up.

I my option, Windows 8.1 does not need extended kernel because it's supported until 2023 but Windows 8 is needed since it's supported until 2016 (and now is 2022)

Edited by LonghornXP

3 hours ago, LonghornXP said:

I my option, Windows 8.1 does not need extended kernel because it's supported until 2023 but Windows 8 is needed since it's supported until 2016 (and now is 2022)

You can use Windows Embedded Standard 8 or Windows Server 2012 (R1) updates on Windows 8.0 

On 3/25/2022 at 2:19 AM, Jakob99 said:

Would you guys like to see a Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel? I am well versed with Windows and basic driver functionality, but not with advanced Windows knowledge needed to whip up an Extended Kernel such as incorporating Windows 10 functions. Since software support for Windows 8.1 is still great with the software that doesn't work only needing mods to either remove the version check or simple DLL stubs to run, we can make our first priority drivers, most specifically graphics and Wi-Fi drivers. All the major hardware vendors (Intel, Nvidia, and AMD) have ended support. Intel ended theirs first starting with Kaby Lake (though unofficial mods for drivers up to 10th Gen(?) exist. see this thread) while AMD and Nvidia just ended theirs at roughly the same time last year (In fact, this is being posted from a 2019 AMD laptop with 8.1 on it).

Now, it should be noted that there are some hardware manufacturers that still have support for OSes such as 8.1, and even Windows 2000 in specific instances, to this day! Notable ones include Realtek (certain hardware) and most major touchpad manufacturers such as Elantech (provided you aren't restricted exclusively to HID-Compliant Touchpad with no way to enable PS/2 touchpad).

Realtek still has backwards supports for OSes older than Windows 10, but it depends on the hardware. For instance, the Realtek RTL8892CE WiFi card (not to be confused with the RTL8891CE) is OEM exclusive and has no 8.1 or 7 support. Plus, there are some Realtek Audio drivers that integrate with the graphics card. You'll know you have one of these if there is a red circle on the audio icon right after installation finishes (and hovering over it says "No Audio Device is installed"). Because of this, the Windows default audio driver does not support this configuration and thus, will not load. The standard Realtek HD Audio driver will not work either. Realtek Ethernet still supports Windows 8.1, though it appears Ethernet may be going the way of the dinosaur due to a lack of Ethernet ports on most new laptops.

Most major touchpad vendors should still work. Grab the driver from either the manufacturers website or your laptop manufacturers website. If you have the option to switch between Advanced (HID Compliant, I2C) and Basic (PS/2) emulation touchpad, you can set it to Basic and be fine, but if you only have Advanced, you'll need a USB Mouse.

Despite Intel dropping official support with Kaby Lake, the latest chipset drivers surprisingly still work.

To install Windows 8.1 on modern laptops, just burn the ISO to Rufus with UEFI support and boot it with a USB Mouse connected (plus keyboard if installing from the Desktop). Since 8.1 has generic USB3 drivers in its WinPE unlike 7, no PS/2 peripherals such as adapters are needed. After the installation restarts, you'll get a quick flash of a BSoD. Load back up the install media, hit Shift+F10 to load up Command Prompt, type Notepad.exe, click on File/Open, select All Types instead of .txt, point to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete Intelpep.sys. Exit out and finish Windows install normally. If you update, that file will come back so you'll need to repeat it once more. It would be great if we could find a fix for that file that allows it to function as intended.

I hope I'm not the only one interested with Windows 8.1. Even with UEFI7, it is nearly impossible to install Windows 7 on modern UEFI boards. It doesn't help Legacy Support is being phased out so the amount of new computers with that is dwindling, meaning UEFI support has to be incorporated somehow into 7 (If you guys want to tackle this problem, please start a different thread about this. You have my backing). Plus, there are now 0x0A5 NON-ACPI-COMPLIANT BIOS BSoD's now as well.

tl:dr: In order to get drivers working on Windows 8.1, some incorporation of Windows 10 functions will most likely be needed. There are some hardware vendors still with 8.1 support, but some of the new laptops come with that hardware tied into other components meaning the standard driver will not work. Installing 8.1 is as simple as making the media as UEFI in Rufus, installing it with USB Mouse (and keyboard if on desktop), deleting Intelpep.sys, and finishing it up.

Windows 8.1 supports I2C Touchpad, but you need your manufacturer's GPIO and I2C drivers.

You can get latest AMD drivers from 2022 on 7 and 8.1 by using the iCafe drivers. https://www.amd.com/zh-hans/support/kb/release-notes/icafe-windows-7-driver

Sadly my laptop's RTL8822CE Wi-Fi Card doesn't support Windows 7 or 8.1 (I tried on both) even with an inf mod, so it would be nice to get that working.

On 3/26/2022 at 3:30 AM, ExtremeGrief said:

Windows 8.1 supports I2C Touchpad, but you need your manufacturer's GPIO and I2C drivers.

You can get latest AMD drivers from 2022 on 7 and 8.1 by using the iCafe drivers. https://www.amd.com/zh-hans/support/kb/release-notes/icafe-windows-7-driver

Sadly my laptop's RTL8822CE Wi-Fi Card doesn't support Windows 7 or 8.1 (I tried on both) even with an inf mod, so it would be nice to get that working.

That's great, but I'm in need of 11th Gen Intel Tiger Lake Iris Xe graphics driver. Maybe we could use one that supports 7/8.1 and see if modding that will work. I'm looking into this.

2 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

That's great, but I'm in need of 11th Gen Intel Tiger Lake Iris Xe graphics driver. Maybe we could use one that supports 7/8.1 and see if modding that will work. I'm looking into this.

What is your GPU name in device manager and all your hardware IDs?

19 hours ago, ExtremeGrief said:

What is your GPU name in device manager and all your hardware IDs?

Intel Iris Xe Graphics. Here's all the device ID's in relation to Tiger Lake:

; TGL
%INTEL_DEV_9A49% = iSKLD_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A49
%INTEL_DEV_9A40% = iSKLD_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A40
%INTEL_DEV_9A78% = iSKLD_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A78
%INTEL_DEV_9A60% = iSKLD_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A60
%INTEL_DEV_9A68% = iSKLD_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A68
%INTEL_DEV_9A70% = iSKLD_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A70

Mine is 9A49. I've tried DarthBringer's driver that he posted to Win-Raid, but it doesn't work even with Tiger Lake added in. I get Code 43.

• 9 months later...

Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel? 

If Windows 10 build 9888 debombed build will be modified to Windows 8.1, it will be extended kernel, if you install it, you will henceforth run apps compatible with Windows 10 or above on Windows 8.1.

• 4 weeks later...

I’d probably take back my original answer about NOT needing an extended kernel for Windows 8.1; now that mass browser support has been disabled for the OS.  An extended kernel is likely needed now.

How updatable is the Windows 10 build 9888?  Wasn’t that the first consumer preview from September 2014?

Has anyone tried installing the February update for Server 2012 R2?  How did it go?

11 hours ago, WinCare said:

Windows 10 build 9888, debombed ISO file, which will be transformed to Windows 8.1, will be released on March 2023.

Okay, then tell me, what tools will you use, in what software will you compile kernel32, etc.? Extended kernel is not and will never be about just pasting a few files from another system. On its own, it is downright unfeasible. Sorry, I know you are ambitious, but I want to make you aware that it is not as simple as you think. The kernel is not an interchangeable part of the OS, virtually everything depends on it. Different system, different appeals. You'd probably have to spatch 90% of the files in C:Windows for it to work, and it still wouldn't be a sure thing.

2 hours ago, WinCare said:

It will be capable for Windows 7, or Windows 8 too. 

VxKex, released on 2022 by @vxiiduu, henceforth it is a failure. So I hope Windows 7 or Windows 8 Extended Kernel will help us out. 

@win32 and @WinClient5270, help us for Windows 7! 

I guarantee you that you won't make an extended kernel better than VxKex - none, to be precise! You don't have even a basic knowledge of the construction of operating systems and the interdependence of system components, let alone programming (you will need knowledge of C++) If I understand your post correctly - there is NO WAY that extended kernel will work simultaneously with Windows 7 and Windows 8. I very much appreciate your desire to keep these systems alive, but so far you are at best compromising yourself. Learn the basics, and then I think, for example, win32 will be able to help you get started.

Edited by msquidpl