Advantages and Disadvantages of Installing MS Edge Browser?

Radish

I'm wondering if there is an advantage for Windows 7 users to installing Microsoft Edge browser? If it does get installed does it completely replace Internet Explorer?

Also are there any deficits to installing it?

I think partly what I'm getting at is that Internet Explorer is somewhat integrated into the OS. Does the same sort of skulduggery exist for MS Edge too?

Edited by Radish

• Radish changed the title to Advantages and Disadvantages of Installing MS Edge Browser?

1 hour ago, Radish said:

Also are there any deficits to installing it?

Well edge is basically same as other chromium browsers with some MS exclusive spyware features and some ms own code. You might as well use ungoogled chromium or chromium.

1 hour ago, Radish said:

I'm wondering if there is an advantage for Windows 7 users to installing Microsoft Edge browser? If it does get installed does it completely replace Internet Explorer?

I think partly what I'm getting at is that Internet Explorer is somewhat integrated into the OS. Does the same sort of skulduggery exist for MS Edge too?

I have not installed it personally but one client had it forced via automatic updates and seems that uninstalling it took away atleast all visible components for it. Under Windows 7 and 8 based on my own research Microsoft edge installs like any chromium and does not replace any OS components. I may not like MS edge but that is huge improvement over internet exploiter (wow I cant believe I am praising company for instead of assimilating OS just trying force install it).

Also Internet Explorer on Windows 11 exist too but as MSHTML.DLL stub for Microsoft edge internet explorer compability mode. That is kept since many software from Microsoft and it partners did in past were tied to IE and many web based tool requiring Active X is even today issue even for on work so they cant remove it totally.

No, it does not replace Internet Explorer.  I have both.   If you install Office XP or Office 2003, Internet Explorer has to be the default browser in order to successfully activate Office over the internet.  I use Waterfox for most of my browsing.  I dislike the lack of a menu bar in Edge.  I have to use Edge to access one of my financial accounts, as I can no longer log on to it in Waterfox.

Edge is basically Chrome with a different UI. It doesn't do anything special with regards to integrating with the OS (on windows 7 - windows 10 and 11 is a whole different story). If you prefer the UI, then install it; otherwise just stick with whatever you are using now.