Windows 11 , The Worst Crap Ever

Dibya

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Ask gamers

I personally feel that Win11 is for the "gamer".  I have never (and will never!) be a fan of "dark themes".  It has been my experience that only "gamers" and "html/js coders" really 'like' "dark themes".

They give me MIGRAINES - so yeah, I'm a bit "biased" against "dark themes".

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

It has been my experience that only "gamers" and "html/js coders" really 'like' "dark themes".

You can add C# coders. Funny, where I work, when the inspector for work safety came, he also tripped over the fact that all coders use freakin' dark theme. I personally can't stand it neither.

According to my eye doctor, avoid using them!  People "think" they are easier on the eyes in dark environments, they're actually damaging to your vision.

Something about rods and cones.  Eye doctor tried to explain it but I kinda phased him out because I don't use them anyway.

And they way I see it, if they were "better" for your eyes, then you could buy health magazines and books where the text was white but the paper was dark.

14 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

According to my eye doctor, avoid using them! 

Don't agree , let your doctor sit beside a 27'' Dell all glowing with bright white light for several hours . Besides, I like NEUTRAL themes, not just dark-dark/blackish black . Let's say , light with a slight grey . It doesn't have to be blindingly white or acid blue ! The 90's raving parties are over.

14 hours ago, UCyborg said:

You can add C# coders. Funny, where I work, when the inspector for work safety came, he also tripped over the fact that all coders use freakin' dark theme. I personally can't stand it neither.

Maybe on something from 2004 it's OK. I mean the ancient TNT LCD panels tech. BTW , the choice of themes is ridiculous on Win 11 again ! Surpise ... not)

Themes implementing various image resources aka. .msstyles files were always restricted internal feature, since Windows XP, hence the lock to digitally signed MS's themes. It seems they simply choose one look (+dark variant on Win10/11 and two color extra flavors on XP) and that look represents each Windows version.

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Why no one [except me] talks about the spying connections ?

Because we all know they exist and none of us really need your help in combatting them.  Those "spying connections" are PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE.  As is the methods to combat them.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:56 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally feel that Win11 is for the "gamer".  I have never (and will never!) be a fan of "dark themes".  It has been my experience that only "gamers" and "html/js coders" really 'like' "dark themes".

They give me MIGRAINES - so yeah, I'm a bit "biased" against "dark themes".

23 hours ago, UCyborg said:

23 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

According to my eye doctor, avoid using them!  People "think" they are easier on the eyes in dark environments, they're actually damaging to your vision.

Something about rods and cones.  Eye doctor tried to explain it but I kinda phased him out because I don't use them anyway.

And they way I see it, if they were "better" for your eyes, then you could buy health magazines and books where the text was white but the paper was dark.

Good to see that the dark theme has been brought to this discussion, because I kinda wanted to talk about it too.

But I don't understand 1 thing about dark themes. How exactly does it damage the vision? Is it because of the fact that you have to get closer to read what's on the screen while it being in dark mode? That's what I exactly know of what I think it damages the vision. I think I am misunderstanding something about dark themes. I am not saying any of your opinions are wrong, just being curious. I tried searching online on the Internet, but I have never found any useful information there, so I am asking here.

Just want to add, I use dark themes sometimes, but I am not a fan of them, because light theme is what I have always been a fan of. Never preferred "darkness" over "light".

36 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

How exactly does it damage the vision?

Has to do with the number of eye muscles required to focus on visual details in light versus dark.  Google it, there's a TON of documented studies.

Like when you sit in the dark and somebody turns the lights on - there is a delay before your eyes can focus.  That delay is NOT because you "just woke up" and are "groggy".

Our eyes are wired for daylight.  Our brains are literally not wired to live in the dark.

We can adapt, but not all of us - ask anyone that works or has tried to work 3rd shift.

And like 3rd shift, those that can adapt, they'll never work anything but 3rd shift.

So there ARE people on "both sides".

You know, in all honesty..

Its the contrast between the light on a page (website) in relation to using a dark theme. I don't know why it has to be 'all or nothing'. I use both depending on what I viewing. Sites that usually display in only a light test make the dark theme annoying, so on the contrary, when a site will display in the dark theme (correctly) - a dark theme in a browsers(s) work(s) well. I prefer a combination of light and soft Beige or stone during the daylight (if I'm not hiding inside with shades down) rather, in low lighting, I will use a dark theme.

For the record (I hope nobody is keeping record of my nonsense ... hehe ... must be bored) I usually use light themes as I prefer to use the classic theme for my XP systems. I don't hate the blue so long as its not all the time. Even back in the real XP days, I (vaguely) recall (memories are fuzzy, sorry) I used the green silver mainly XP theme until I finally gave up and disable themes service.

On 5/16/2022 at 4:08 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

We can adapt, but not all of us - ask anyone that works or has tried to work 3rd shift.

And like 3rd shift, those that can adapt, they'll never work anything but 3rd shift.

So there ARE people on "both sides".

Yeah, both sides are important otherwise we'd never have anybody working 3rd shift in a hospital, likewise, If no-one worked on Sundays, God help you if in you are in need of medical attention. That being said, I don't know how people are able to get into a Circadian Rhythm. Feel bad, but grateful for those that can handle that shift work.

Edited by XPerceniol

On 5/16/2022 at 3:42 AM, D.Draker said:

The 90's raving parties are over.

Thank heavens for that ... those 90 rave parties only bring back bad (very bad) memories. I'm sort of shocked I made it through the 90s in all honesty.

I Promise: Final posting in threads that have nothing to do with me nor for things that don't involve me and sorry for so much off-topic postings to the mods.

Edited by XPerceniol

Dark theme used to be have a following by people who thought it was cool, dating back to the "High Contrast Black" days of 3.x and NT. It wasn't originally meant to be anything other than an accessibility option. Then sometime during the late 90s some studies were run and it was found that using the dark themes (the High Contrast Black OS theme) was beneficial to CRT display longevity and even became a recommendation in computing magazines (and even in web design) up through the mid 2000s. However the thing that changed was the move away from CRT to LCD panels and it was learned that the dark themes had no benefit any longer. Unfortunately it was too late to remove the people's want of a dark theme they didn't actually need any longer and we still have it as an option to this day.