Windows 11 , The Worst Crap Ever

Dibya

My daughter's pc could no longer handle W.10.
Now with Xubuntu 22.04 LTS it is almost faster than my 1-year-old pc.

However from the security point of view alone Microsoft Apps are a big plus.
They have an Integrity Level AppContainer (only some browsers,not Firefox, can achieve this IL).
In Anti-exploit List they can count on a few more mitigations than other non-Microsoft apps.

This is the main reason why I use the default apps to view videos,music.................

My spinning rust must have gone rustier. Somehow I managed to boot Win11 VM in 35 seconds back in October 2021, now it takes 10 - 15 seconds longer. More snapshots of VM were made since, but surely the old ones are still in the old place. Granted, it can't write anymore in now occupied spots on the disk...

Ended up rebooting (took 38 seconds from boot starting to login screen) main Win10 diagnosing long glitchy behavior of my USB multi-function device, what I thought for a long time was glitchy software on Windows since it happened to always work on Linux 'till yesterday where I got explicit I/O error message there.

So it was bad USB communication all along. Also, somehow it always produced an issue with scanning, not printing, so I ruled out physical problems long ago. Must have something to do with extension USB cable (I hope), should test with another computer, where it works without extension cable, with extension cable.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:10 PM, Dave-H said:

@vinifera @D.Draker

Stop this now both of you, or you will both be on the naughty step!
:yes:

What exactly do you want me to stop ?  Not sure 'cause I didn't start anything ,

This goes like this ;

1 - On-topic post from me.

2 - Insult from him.

And so on ... and so on . 

Why is he still not fined for such outrageous behaviour ? Is it allowed ? Looked at the rules , can't find any mentions of it. Do I need to report to the supervisors ? Doesn't look he's gonna stop.

Back to windows 11 . The topic says crap , sure is . But the fonts are much better than in windows 7 ! Not as good as in Vista but still. 

Sound quality is better . I can hear quite good channel positioning . It's still not fantastic though. How to change the white folder background ?

Someone knows ? Thanks !

Advice to everyone that wants to try win11 on real hardware . Make sure you have drivers first ! I had to mod several drivers . Audio and LAN drivers , for example. 

There were no drivers on manufacturers' websites.

Also , don't forget to install the firewall before you connect it online ! You will get soooo many connections from every windows file . LOL.

Block everything you don't want.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, UCyborg said:

The ageing creeps me out. I'm very aware of it, still young, but would turn back time by 10 years any day.

I get easily tired as it is, not sure how I'll cope if I somehow make it to the (distant?) future, especially if working hours don't get shorter.

Aging sux , sure . It was the same with me (getting tired) . Don't worry, you just need to eat more and train . Maybe , just maybe , join some para-military traing camp for a couple of months. The idea would be to stay active , change the scenery . I took one 2-month standard shift in Ukraine and it helped me to stay fit again , even though I was amost killed twice . Of course I don't suggest this to you . I mean , there are training camps for civilians with some activities in forests (fake war simulations, for example) . I now eat like a boar . Oh, and you try to eat lots of good meat , it helps. No amount of using any windows versions does it.

Everyone , excuse me for this off-top , just wanted to help this nice fella UCyborg. 

16 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

My daughter's pc could no longer handle W.10.
Now with Xubuntu 22.04 LTS it is almost faster than my 1-year-old pc.

However from the security point of view alone Microsoft Apps are a big plus.
They have an Integrity Level AppContainer (only some browsers,not Firefox, can achieve this IL).
In Anti-exploit List they can count on a few more mitigations than other non-Microsoft apps.

This is the main reason why I use the default apps to view videos,music.................

Why exactly is it a security prerrogative dogma to be followed that anything running must be virtualized or sandboxed? Even the OS is advocated to be like that by some. It seems completely miraculous and unbelievable from a system architectural point of view. I will not mention the dubious doubt of firefox (from old to new) application containerization capabilities, which is a very chrome-biased and hotly contested idea.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

1 hour ago, Eddie Phizika said:

Why exactly is it a security prerrogative dogma to be followed that anything running must be virtualized or sandboxed? Even the OS is advocated to be like that by some. It seems completely miraculous and unbelievable from a system architectural point of view. I will not mention the dubious doubt of firefox (from old to new) application containerization capabilities, which is a very chrome-biased and hotly contested idea.

In simple words it can be explained in this way:

All that is "contained" has no capacity to act at higher levels and thus interact with anything outside the container (short of a bypass, which is usually a bypass of the kernel as well).

Firefox's sandbox has not yet reached the performance of Chrome's sandbox even in Linux.
If you are interested in learning more here is a good read:

https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/firefox-chromium.html

In my OS W.10 I use Edge,but if I used Firefox I would almost certainly use:

https://sandboxie-plus.com/

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

@D.Draker
I really need more rest in general.

If you (like me) don't get enough sun, your Circadian Rhythm could be off and your body won't produce enough Melatonin. You could try a supplement I recommend lowest dosage and see and no more than 5MG. You could also get your vit D levels checked. I don't sleep well, most times no more than 4 hours and hellish nightmares and torment; honestly. I haven't rested or slept well since the 90s Lol ... but quality sleep is important Vs quantity. Vt B6 from foods could help. Hard to calm the mind in this madness nowadays, I get that.

https://medalerthelp.org/blog/vitamin-b6-foods/

https://nigms.nih.gov/education/fact-sheets/Pages/Circadian-Rhythms.aspx

Hope you will feel better.

Edited by XPerceniol

Hey there 11 user here. I agree to you to an extent when I upgraded to 11 it limited my CPU speed from 3 GHz to 0.40 GHz a restart fixed it. And the context menu taskbar can be fixed with startallback and explorerpatcher but I agree it shouldn't be dependent on external programs 

Regarding security issues mentioned above, I'm still lax about security after all these years. Don't like putting millions of layers in place to save me from myself. And I fare along just fine. Yes, it's possible.

I hear Android is full of holes. Should I throw my (long unsupported) smartphone away just because of those?

Likewise, my computer's CPU is vulnerable to Spectre. Guess that has to go as well. I have those fancy security features of Windows 10 with bigger impact on resources turned off (looking at you, Windows Defender). So I read Win10/11 also has what they call Virtualization-based Security. Relies on Hyper-V. I wanted to try Hyper-V as virtualization solution on some older Win10, don't recall if it was 1809 or even older, but enabling that feature alone had a significant negative impact on graphics performance. So I turned it back off before I even opened the interface for managing virtual machines.

I still prefer old school single-process web browsers such as Pale Moon and SeaMonkey, even if they're a bit frustrating at times, mostly due to web sites abusing JavaScript at large.

Edited by UCyborg

On 5/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, sonyu said:

What's a computer for these days ? what can't be done on 2008-2016 computers?

Ask gamers who spend over 10000€ for the computer equipment.