Windows 11 , The Worst Crap Ever

Dibya

Just to clarify, when I specified my laptop boot time, I meant from the moment it starts loading (after the BIOS picks it up after POST) to the login screen.

Cold boot on my main desktop running Win10 20H2 is about 35 seconds (WD WD5000AAKX disk @ 7200 RPM, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, AMD Phenom II X4 920, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti). The CPU is kinda underperforming, especially in single-threaded department compared to Intel's offerings of the time.

I've had it much slower with Win10 general. I did not turn one installation from slow to fast though, so don't ask me how I did it. This one just happens to be faster than the older ones. The way files are arranged on disk could also be the factor. This is also the only installation where I ran defrag after everything was installed.

I don't use high performance plan as it seems stupid to run CPU and the rest at max frequencies where there's nothing to do and never had problems with Windows managing that well enough on its own.

16 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I don't use high performance plan as it seems stupid to run CPU and the rest at max frequencies where there's nothing to do and never had problems with Windows managing that well enough on its own.

Agreed.  When I was big into overclocking, I would actually run my CPU at reduced frequencies and the CPU would run 10-15 degrees C cooler.

Overclocking would only kick in when demand required it (like stepping on the gas and the car downshifts to pass grandma).

4 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Fast Startup has no possibility of increasing boot time. Boot being the key word here, implies that the computer is off. Fast Startup only increases time to resume from hibernation.

Agreed!  That's why I never enable Fast Startup.

My computer does a full RESTART in 58 to 62 seconds.  "Restart" recreates all RAM, nothing is saved to be restored with the next power-up.

What Fast Startup is for is the "shutdown" option from your Start menu.  A "shutdown" with Fast Startup enabled writes the kernel to the hard drive and puts that back into RAM on the next power-up.

A "shutdown" with Fast Startup enabled still takes 58 to 62 seconds!

A *true* hibernate writes the entire contents of RAM to the hard drive then puts that back into RAM on the next power-up.

My computer comes out of a *true* hibernate in 8 to 12 seconds.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My computer

First you gotta eliminate all logging activities , there's plenty of info available.

Run cmd as admin after approx 2-5 mins after you boot and enter 

logman query -ets

it will show you hell lotta logging going on.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

A "shutdown" with Fast Startup enabled still takes 58 to 62 seconds!

That's really long. I noticed on my particular PC that using MS's AHCI driver produces abnormal delay when "shutting down" with Fast Startup enabled. Granted, that's a specific quirk and I normally use NVIDIA's AHCI driver built specifically for my motherboard's SATA controller.

6 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Fast Startup has no possibility of increasing boot time. Boot being the key word here, implies that the computer is off. Fast Startup only increases time to resume from hibernation.

It's basically log off and hibernate, though there might be additional specific details in the process. I remember noticing in the past DWM being launched with -hiberboot parameter, which seems to be related to Fast Startup.

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

logman query -ets

All I get is - 'logman' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

My Win10 is LTSB.  Corporate OS.  My hunch is that my Win10 doesn't do "as much" logging as non-LTSB.  I can't clain it doesn't to "any" logging.  Still "new to me" as far as tweaking/optimizing.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

All I get is - 'logman' is not recognized

Hmmmmm ... weird , I just tried on a new Win 7 install and it logs everything you do ! 

Then go to 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger]

and see what is ON in the start option , gotta be 00000000 instead  of 00000001 . Everythig needs to be set to zeros under "start". Then reboot .