Windows 11 , The Worst Crap Ever

Dibya

I can tolerate W.10,but W.11 is very disturbing to me.
The prevailing line followed by Microsoft is for me a jumble of styles (taken from other OS).
Also the possibility to install Linux in Windows is something that disturbs me deeply.
Just as dual boot has always bothered me.
I see it as the Edge browser (a lot of bloatware) and I struggle to get rid of everything they add with each new version.
I'll make it to 2025 with W.10 then decide.
Probably in my only pc I have at home today (in the past I had also 4), I will install a Linux distro.
The future is nebulous, and I will be getting older and older.:(
Old people don't adapt well to young people's innovations.:no:

I installed 11 a few months ago, and it's a double edged sword.

It's for some like Vista, No. A sad version of Vista. At least Vista added things such as Media Center and UAC and it let you install it on old hardware.

11 added rounded corners (Useless), useless requirements (Scam), Dropped x86 support (Sad day for old computers), Made a internet connection and Microsoft account mandatory like XBOX. (Even more useless) Centered start menu (Stolen idea from apple) New context menu (UWP crap) and so much more i do not like. And SOMEHOW, I ended up deleting my Windows 10 20H2 install. I hate my life as you can see. Don't like it.

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Depends on your line in the sand.

Don't get me wrong, I think knowing is great, I just think sometimes not being aware of certain things would be easier on the mind. 

And when one of the brothers is over and I boot up a machine, I kinda enjoy that they think we need to walk away from the computer and "wait" for it to boot up because they think computers need three minutes to boot up but mine boots in twenty seconds.

I heard rumors before about some people's computers taking MINUTES (!!!) to boot. I have a slow laptop; 1,35 GHz dual-core APU (a CPU with onboard GPU), 2 GB of RAM, with some 256 MB taken away as video RAM and additional 40 MB disabled because it went bad and a 5400 RPM HDD and that doesn't take that long to cold boot 32-bit Win10.

Haven't actually used Windows on that laptop and that laptop in general in a while, I'll turn it on occasionally and plug it in to try to prevent battery from going completely bad. Don't remember the exact cold boot time of Win10, must have been somewhere between 45 seconds and a minute I think.

I dealed with one particularly odd Win10 machine (or maybe it was server variant) at work once and it took a over 1,5h (!!!) to install .NET Framework 4.8. My laptop didn't take more than 15 min I think (going from my memory). There could be something more going on in these cases than mere "running with defaults".

6 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

That OS is too weird even for me. And even pretending the OS being in that shape is the norm, developing solutions for the shortcomings is quite a feat. Did you see how much code ExplorerPatcher has??

Also the possibility to install Linux in Windows is something that disturbs me deeply.

Quite a turn from Steve Ballmer's attitude towards Linux, huh.

I agree with what this guy is saying: https://itsfoss.com/windows-linux-kernel-wsl-2/

I don't like the idea of having to switch OS multiple times a day, but having a possibility to use some other OS than what came with PC is good. Lack of that option is worrisome.

I see it as the Edge browser (a lot of bloatware) and I struggle to get rid of everything they add with each new version.

Mainstream browsers are changing too much in general, you never know what you'll get. If there were just layout engine additions / fixes, fine.

Besides that, I noticed in practice even Firefox has problems migrating profile data between versions, eg. it can happen you can't login to a certain website after upgrade because it corrupted data under storage folder in your profile folder.

Too much complexity that even developers can't cope anymore, forget the poor clueless end users!

The ageing creeps me out. I'm very aware of it, still young, but would turn back time by 10 years any day.

I get easily tired as it is, not sure how I'll cope if I somehow make it to the (distant?) future, especially if working hours don't get shorter.

You're way beyond even some younger folks in your capabilities and understanding of technicalities involved.

My father never bothered to learn computers, I think it's the combination of inflexible character to some degree / lack of interest and he was a workaholic whose work didn't include computers.

Edited by UCyborg
Forgotten link

I'm "new" to Win10 (outside of "default" LTSB install on work computer).  (edit - can't really call it "default" due to corporate IT "stuff" also on the work computer, but I don't have that on my Win10 reference home laptop.)

The "pandemic" has enabled me the opportunity to install work's LTSB on one of my home laptops.

I'm still in-process of tweaking, but so far I can barely beat ONE MINUTE for boot time - that is an ETERNITY when all of my XP machines boot between 18 and 34 SECONDS!

My boot time ranges from 58 seconds to 62 seconds.  Basically  double that of my XP boot times.

image.png.d90c6425f6ddfe4f0e8145387a86def8.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm "new" to Win10 (outside of "default" LTSB install on work computer).  (edit - can't really call it "default" due to corporate IT "stuff" also on the work computer, but I don't have that on my Win10 reference home laptop.)

The "pandemic" has enabled me the opportunity to install work's LTSB on one of my home laptops.

I'm still in-process of tweaking, but so far I can barely beat ONE MINUTE for boot time - that is an ETERNITY when all of my XP machines boot between 18 and 34 SECONDS!

My boot time ranges from 58 seconds to 62 seconds.  Basically double that of my XP boot times.

Try to check if in power saving options (but in English it could be different) you have the balanced performance (it is the default) you enter the high performance:

P.S.

Is there an AV installed?
Usually some AVs increase the boot time.

5.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not a dual-boot.  I removed Win10 and put XP x64 on the same exact laptop.

Boot time decreased from 58 - 62 seconds all the way down to 19.3 to 20.3 seconds.

Win10 takes three times as long to boot as XP on the same exact laptop.

image.png.af351b38fc17243692cf55fcd54c4ced.png

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Try to check if in power saving options (but in English it could be different) you have the balanced performance (it is the default) you enter the high performance:

I'll try this later (edit - uninstalled 10 and put XP back on the laptop, now installing 10 again).  In the past, this has made ZERO effect, but I'll check again.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

ZERO effect.  Minor fluctuation is to be expected and the "Balanced" power plan and the "High performance" power plan are statistically identical.

It can be argued that MAX minus MIN (for my SMALL sample size) is narrower for "High performance" than it is for "Balanced" (but what are a few hundred milliseconds when it takes the OS a full MINUTE to boot?).

But it can also be argued that this sample size demonstrated an AVERAGE boot time for "Balanced" at 57.35 seconds, 0.09 seconds FASTER than the AVERAGE boot time for "High performance" at 57.44 seconds.

Granted, I chose not to log dozens upon dozens of reboots with each.  But this seems more than enough to demonstrate ZERO effect.

Boot time is the best "performance" indicator that I can think of because a "hundred" different processes are all fighting for CPU cylces in rapid succession.

image.png.0be6dec2e107b76182d79c12e6cec01b.png

11 hours ago, UCyborg said:

...The ageing creeps me out. I'm very aware of it, still young, but would turn back time by 10 years any day.

I get easily tired as it is, not sure how I'll cope if I somehow make it to the (distant?) future, especially if working hours don't get shorter.

Hard sometimes to deal with fatigue. Just as a side note: Be cautious about looking forward to the end of the day or "completing' your day(s) 10 years went (flew) by so fast at the blink of an eye and you can't get it back - 50 is less that a year away. Try (hard, I know) to not miss out on even the smallest of bright spots, sometimes seeing somebody walking or running with their pet makes you realize the dog it (actually) walking the human - or both. Try to listen to nature - the birds - ocean waves (if you can find) or look at fish ... nature never lets you down when seeking comfort. 

<OT>

Hmmm ... wonder that average lifespan of a blobfish :dubbio::P

Edited by XPerceniol

14 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

The prevailing line followed by Microsoft is for me a jumble of styles (taken from other OS).
I'll make it to 2025 with W.10 then decide.
Probably in my only pc I have at home today (in the past I had also 4), I will install a Linux distro.

sad we now talking about tolerating the new operating systems. I find it disturbing, as well. Not all things am I put off by from the new generations, some good changes, but, overall, miss the past and that isn't good to be stuck in a time warp. Sorry, hope that made sense and will edit afterwards if I can make a bit more sense. Again, sorry.

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

...I kinda enjoy that they think we need to walk away from the computer and "wait" for it to boot up because they think computers need three minutes to boot up but mine boots in twenty seconds.

And I just laugh and laugh and laugh when they throw out, "No way!  That thing is like 15 years old and mine is brand new, why is mine so SLOW?"

Yeees!!! People have become spoiled to everything being fast and instant gratification rather than people lack patience nowadays, to me anyway, and missing out on the "experience" XP lolol.....:)

ZERO effect.  Minor fluctuation is to be expected and the "Balanced" power plan and the "High performance" power plan are statistically identical.

It can be argued that MAX minus MIN (for my SMALL sample size) is narrower for "High performance" than it is for "Balanced" (but what are a few hundred milliseconds when it takes the OS a full MINUTE to boot?).

But it can also be argued that this sample size demonstrated an AVERAGE boot time for "Balanced" at 57.35 seconds, 0.09 seconds FASTER than the AVERAGE boot time for "High performance" at 57.44 seconds.

Granted, I chose not to log dozens upon dozens of reboots with each.  But this seems more than enough to demonstrate ZERO effect.

Boot time is the best "performance" indicator that I can think of because a "hundred" different processes are all fighting for CPU cylces in rapid succession.

image.png.0be6dec2e107b76182d79c12e6cec01b.png

Try to eliminate as much as possible at startup.

Task Manager - Startup

and see the startup impact of the list.