Windows 11 , The Worst Crap Ever

Dibya

Evaporating polymer plasticizers.  Or so that's what I've pretty much always thought the "smell" was attributed to.
It's also the cause of the hazy film on the interior windshield that looks like a smoker's car but is actually a non-smoker's car and all "plastic" cars do that as they age.

On 3/27/2022 at 6:08 PM, Tommy said:
On 3/27/2022 at 12:48 PM, UCyborg said:

Indeed, though when you take some new extras for granted, it's hard to go back.

I hear ya. I'm even starting to get used to the new right click menu and using the icons for cut, copy, paste, etc.

I forgot to write then, here I meant the new useful stuff, eg. the updated console host or new notification system (both were in Win10), not the nonsensical moving of old things around.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Check again in 7 years.

:buehehe:

I'm thinking more like 3.5 years.

Windows 10 was released in July 2015.  It was December 2018 that Windows 10 finally had a higher market share than Windows 7.

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/microsoft-s-windows-10-has-finally-overtaken-decade-old-windows-7-os-story-859cf4eZ2TTOYrWDv9W5mL.html

My hunch is that Windows 11 will overtake Windows 10 faster than Windows 10 overtook Windows 7.  Demographics.  Population density of age groups.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

You have to remember that people here and other tech-savvy forums are a teeny tiny miniscule percentage of the computer-owner population.

How many active members does MSFN have?  I'd put it in the HUNDREDS and nowhere near "thousands".

But let's call it a THOUSAND and then let's assume one HUNDRED web sites such as this where "birds of a feather, flock together".

So that puts us at 100,000.

Depending on source, between 297 and 302 million computers (desktops and laptops, excludes servers) shipped in 2020 - safe to assume they are all alive and well, but let's go ahead and kill off a gigantic 40% of them.

Depending on source, between 340 and 349 million computers shipped in 2021 - safe to assume they are all alive and well, but let's go ahead and kill off a massive 20% of them.

Call it 300 million for 2020 but kill off 40% of them, that leaves 180 million of them in use.

Call it 345 million for 2021 but kill off 20% of them, that leaves 276 million of them in use.

So that's 456 million computers just purchased in the last two years alone and we even killed off a gigantic number of them, we're not counting computers like mine that are well over 15 years old!

I personally feel it safe to assume that only members of forums such as this even CARE about "bloat", that if a computer-user isn't a visitor of something like MSFN, then they just run their OS "out of the box, with all defaults".

Estimating the population that DOES know what "bloat" is and visits forum such as this at 100,000 then those 100,000 is a teeny tiny petty 0.0219% of 456 million.

That percentage only shrinks shrinks shrinks when you use more realistic numbers (ie, don't only count two years of computers sold, don't kill off 20% sold per year, et cetera).

We really are an extremely TINY segment and I think we sometimes think we are larger then we really are.

Granted, I've made assumptions left and right in this "analysis", but you get the drift.

We are a teeny tiny miniscule segment of society and nobody in their right might would conduct a business model taylored around "us" (ie, Moonchild should not bring back XP support, no matter how much "we" think he should).

Okay, that was fun...  LOL

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

In my opinion w10 & w11 can use resources and cpu better but the UI, DPI, WDDM, Pagination. Memory compression... make the user experience slower losing cpu cycles that's the reason the benchmarks are higher on w10&w11 but general usage and ui is slower. As always, the more new hardware you have the less you won't feel this.

I really don't understand why w10 and w11 can't run file explorer (explorer.exe) and a common browser (chrome / firefox) without lag as in w7, w8 or w8.1.

And the GUI.... I really don't like it... Windows XP and Windows 8 have the best gui, in terms of taking advantage of the screen. and also taskbar and caption buttons and fonts... of course can be tweaked as I have done in another post but one can't be productive with w10 & w11 taskbar.

But I don't want to go offtopic. I try my tweaks with every new windows version and then I try opening programs, dragging new tab on chrome for example and it all has lag drawing... 2D and ui drawing it's slow even on high end hardware. It's not a personal opinion.

Do you remember how did you feel installing Vista on hardware that runs XP? That's how I feel when I install Windows 10 or 11 on hardware that can run windows 8. This is 100% accurate description of how it feels.

In my opinion they are currently inspired by Android and MacOS X (and bit a of Elementary Os maybe) offering all easy and pretty and its own app store. But I'm old school and also NEW is not better when something runs fine. It's all Programmed obsolescence, starting from 2008 hardware, all desktops and laptops with windows 8 / 8.1 can give a good computer usage experience: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Youtube, Web, Emails... just put SSD on it... but we are all forced to upgrade.... non sense. blackwingcat proved that it is not necessary to have the last operating system to run new versions of MS Office for example. Same happens with One Core api...

Of course it's not all bad, we have tons of gigabytes of ram nowadays and web is bigger than ever and resource usage is really high so they  introduced memory compression and cache improvements that aren't present on w7,w8 and w8.1 but.... the lag is the lag. I can see both sides: the good and the bad of all this new Vista aka 10/11 oses... but I can't see nothing bad on w8 and w8.1 only benefits and no lag.

Edited by sonyu

ui lag is most likely due to uwp introduction (well its actualy piece of s*** .net but they call it uwp), and changes to DWM they made
so it doesn't always run via GPU acceleration but CPU as well

and if i'm not mistaken, i recall they killed off D2D after win7, so i guess that also makes things slower in some instances...

also in windows 11 its obvious that .net UI runs on top of win32 shell, which is i guess a double killer right there
who knows what else is there underneath all that junk...
they never bothered to get ridd of tablet related crap, so i guess it all runs side by side

honestly i'm happy i'm still on win7 :)
the longer the better

Edited by vinifera

7 hours ago, vinifera said:

ui lag is most likely due to uwp introduction (well its actualy piece of s*** .net but they call it uwp), and changes to DWM they made
so it doesn't always run via GPU acceleration but CPU as well

and if i'm not mistaken, i recall they killed off D2D after win7, so i guess that also makes things slower in some instances...

also in windows 11 its obvious that .net UI runs on top of win32 shell, which is i guess a double killer right there
who knows what else is there underneath all that junk...
they never bothered to get ridd of tablet related crap, so i guess it all runs side by side

honestly i'm happy i'm still on win7 :)
the longer the better

Yes, slow GUI since Windows 7 WDDM, direct2d and directwrite. 

Anyway, Windows 8.0 runs really smooth compared to 7, 10 & 11

16 hours ago, vinifera said:

but that would only apply when DWM is not active :P
so these videos are not that

second video has dwm enabled (aero theme)

edit: and at the beginning of the first video (window resize) dwm is enabled too (aero theme visible too)

Edited by sonyu

On 5/4/2022 at 2:56 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally feel it safe to assume that only members of forums such as this even CARE about "bloat", that if a computer-user isn't a visitor of something like MSFN, then they just run their OS "out of the box, with all defaults".

They're the lucky ones IMO. Not burdened by the knowledge of tinkering possibilities.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:09 AM, sonyu said:

but I can't see nothing bad on w8 and w8.1 only benefits and no lag.

I do; constant screen lag / stutter on my dual-screen setup.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Not burdened by the knowledge of tinkering possibilities.

Depends on your line in the sand.

I tinker and optimize and do my thing.

And when one of the brothers is over and I boot up a machine, I kinda enjoy that they think we need to walk away from the computer and "wait" for it to boot up because they think computers need three minutes to boot up but mine boots in twenty seconds.

And I just laugh and laugh and laugh when they throw out, "No way!  That thing is like 15 years old and mine is brand new, why is mine so SLOW?"

Because you installed using "defaults".  "It's not rocket science."

But I draw the line at chasing my tail like a dog on some things I see folks around here do that I don't see any benefit to - but to each their own.