Windows 11 , The Worst Crap Ever

Dibya

The title of this thread looks familiar...:buehehe:

Ok...already said it but this **** is worse than 10 and that really hurts to say....something worse than 10....:realmad:

I have, as already pointed out, reset several computers back to Windows 10 and none of them have gone smoothly..

The user experience as already stated here is crap!!

Many computers that have upgraded like Windows 10 just do not work properly.....

I thought my works computer could be upgraded when Windows 11 becomes more stable....if that will ever happen....or are they just going to dump it and move on to 12...?!!

It would seem while having the TPM module I can't upgrade my processor....Microsoft have changed the minds so many times regarding what will support 11 and what won't....gives one a headache just trying to keep with the lies and the deceit...

I, for one, will not likely change my opinion of this **** company any time soon....

I  need to keep updated with Windows for my customers' - but don't intend laying out good money on a new build any time soon....

bookie32

XP forever!

I've been following Windows 10 off and on since it was released in 2015, and even after dabbling in it a little and customizing it so it's bearable, I just can't like it enough to use it full time.

I didn't have much hope that 11 would be any better, especially when MS declared their on again/off again intention to only support 8th gen Intel CPUs with TPMs (my newest hardware is 6th gen), so I'm not surprised that it's worse than the already pretty lousy 10. 

Nowadays, I mostly daily drive macOS, so it's not really a big deal right now, and it allows me the luxury of using XP and 7 on a hobby level, so it's not a problem if not everything works. 

I dread the day I need to buy new hardware, because most PCs are probably stuck with Windows 11 as the only viable OS option, and Macs are too expensive, and adding insult to injury, now that they're ARM based, they can't run any x86 Windows, even in a VM;  they, too, are stuck with 11.

Sometimes I wish I could just bring out my old Pentium Pro machine with Windows 3 and use that for everything!

c

5 hours ago, cc333 said:

XP forever!

Am I only one who doesn't have fond memories of XP? My PC is so old that it still officially supports it on bare metal, yet it's my least favorite of all OS that I've run on this hardware.

I suppose you could say I've also had an "OS Migration" lately. In December I went about halfway to using 7, and then a few weeks ago I've switched to Linux (Q4OS Trinity) full time. I think this time it is here to stay. I did or very nearly "mained" Linux (Mint, Cinnamon) in either late 2014 or early 2015 to about 2016, at which point I got more computers, one of which could even run XP which I had always wanted to do. That started the years-long XP "binge", if you will.

For the first time since 2015, this year I installed Windows 10 on one of my computers. I think I've "grown up" in my thoughts and opinions about OSes, and I think that OS has matured as well. I definitely couldn't main it, but a few days used it for a school project (needed three MS office applications where the only not completely ancient (office 97) versions I had access to were Office 2022 based). The very first boot of that computer, Windows 10 definitely was dazed and confused with loads of problems, but after a reboot everything seemed to be working. Problem-free working has continued to be the case in the several times I've used that computer since.

I don't have too much of a "working use" opinion of 11. I have it in a virtual machine, it runs fine, and that's about all I can really say. The "custom" context menus are the only thing I truly hate so far, and as such they got disabled using the registry editor. None of my real-hardware computers are new enough to run windows 11.

I still very much like XP and probably could go back to maining it if i wanted. But I've "been meaning to" switch to Linux permanently since about 2017. I still have XP installed on a LOT of computers and these days it is probably my most-used Windows OS.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Am I only one who doesn't have fond memories of XP? My PC is so old that it still officially supports it on bare metal, yet it's my least favorite of all OS that I've run on this hardware.

It probably depends on your personal experience with each operating system.

For example: I have pretty fond memories of Windows 95 (I even still have the original Windows 95 machine my parents owned right here next to me) but Windows 98 and 98 SE were nigh-unusable nightmares to me. Blue Screens of Death were very common, at least once a day on that machine, usually one every few hours. By contrast, I rarely had BSoDs with XP and XP64. When they do happen (such as when Palouser's RAM fails or how her previous motherboard, a ASUS P5Q-PRO TURBO, developed some kind of thermal stress-related fault) it's almost always because of a hardware issue and not the fault of the operating system. In fact, Palouser had only one BSoD in all of last year.

That being said, 98 and 98SE were on a family computer shared by the rest of the household, and my father was quite a bit more careless than I was with his computers. I've been wanting to build a "Bluetooth jukebox PC" themed after vaporwave/retrosynth for a while now, and when I get around to it I plan to have that machine run 98, which is one of the OSes associated with vaporwave and the earliest Windows version that supports Bluetooth, as I understand it.

11 was made to sell windows to our newer, "simpler" generation of young adults/kids who literally don't even know how a file works. We (power users and enthusiasts) are not their target audience since we are not as profitable as the latter and it really shows. For anyone wondering why 11 removed taskbar locations and the uncombining option, it's because the taskbar is made in JavaScript using EdgeHTML, they are powering their operating system UI with f***ing web scripting (seems like they want to copy GNOME a little too much), and on top of all else, they have repositioned just about every UI element destroying a perfect harmony of muscle memory and familiarity for millions of users, and for those who think an operating system encouraging you to download TikTok and Instagram "isn't a big deal", just go ahead and look at how much RAM it's using right now.

A test of Windows 11 Search has failed spectatularly, but of course I have come to accept that Search will never be as good as it used to be. The test being have a folder with a text file and a string, then do a file contents search for that string and ideally that file should appear in the results. Well, no it shows no results even after choosing the option for file contents. This has been a big issue for me for years even going back to Vista. Even Windows 7 has this issue where file content search doesn't work except for when it does. I have 3 PC here (2x Win7 and 1x Win10) and if I need to find a string in a file, I have to copy everything to the other Win7 PC to do the content search because it doesn't work on the other Win7 or the Win10 PC. And even so, actual file search in Explorer (when not looking for contents) is usually so slow that I may often find myself using CMD to find file locations instead.

23 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

For example: I have pretty fond memories of Windows 95 (I even still have the original Windows 95 machine my parents owned right here next to me) but Windows 98 and 98 SE were nigh-unusable nightmares to me.

Same with the first family Win95 machine, expect we don't have it anymore. We skipped Win98 and went straight to XP, though there was one Win98 machine in use for father's business (which was downstairs in the same house we were living in) running specific quirky accounting application.

The thing about XP, I was obsessed with it back then. Must have turned every nook and cranny. It was Windows XP this, Windows XP that, tweak this and that, heck, I even knew the cheat code for XP's version of Minesweeper that showed you whether there's a mine in the field by hovering at it with the mouse, then the pixel in the upper-left corner of the screen changed color accordingly.

And I broke it a few times and some other times, things broke without an explanation or behaved oddly (why doesn't Effects... button in display settings work, why did disk defragmenter (or was it just Computer Management console...can't remember exactly) changed from Slovenian to English, why is Explorer opening folders with delay, why it refuses to activate saying I've done it too many times etc.).

So you could say I overdosed on Windows XP back then. :P

Edited by UCyborg

On 4/3/2022 at 5:43 PM, UCyborg said:

i didnt like it either by default (original as it came)
but after i did my tweaking, and did my visual skins, it was so much better :P

True.  I have much better performance and functionality on my tweaked XP then I ever had with 2000.

How about posting a how-to guide on your tweaks?

I'm sure "somebody" will be interested (I personally do not have 11 and no plans to - but if your guide can demonstrate true performance improvements, then maybe 11 is in my future).