Missing FLOPUPD for Windows 95 RTM + OSR1

iMic

I'm currently in the process of archiving some of the lesser known updates that Microsoft released for the various Windows 9x versions. Specifically, the ones that were actually released by Microsoft - none of the unofficial service packs or community created updates. Although many of the community updates are better than the ones Microsoft produced, I'd still like to find them.

The one I'm having difficulty tracking down is the one documented in Knowledge Base article 159153 "Error Messages While Backing Up to Some Floppy Disk Drives", which was released as FLOPUPD.EXE for RTM + OSR1 and FLOPUPD2.EXE for OSR2. I've since managed to track down FLOPUPD2, but not the original FLOPUPD.

I'm aware there is another version on MDGx as well named FLOPUPD5, but it appears it might be a community packaged update. Additionally, it notes that "Requires 90 MHz or faster x86 CPU + minimum 32 MB RAM!", but one of the reasons I'm archiving updates for the earlier RTM build is specifically for retro-computing - so we can update the operating system after installing it on lower end i486 based systems, often with a maximum of 32MB RAM. (And no need for FAT32 or USB support, either.) The update released by Microsoft has no such requirement.

There is one mention of it on the MSFN forums - a post from 2006 by erpdude8 - so I'm hopeful that someone might still have it kicking around.

If anyone happens to have FLOPUPD.EXE sitting somewhere on one of their drives and is willing to upload it somewhere, I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers,

Mic.

Edited by iMic

@iMic

I found something on my computer.

According to the INF-files inside this is UPD961018a and will update HSFLOP.PDR, INT13.VXD, IOS.VXD and VFBACKUP.VXD. Archive contains DISKTSD.VXD too.

All files are ProductVersion 4.00.1111. All files except DISKTSD.VXD are FileVersion 4.00.1112 (DISKTSD.VXD is FileVersion 4.00.953).

1689962190_InsideFLOPUPD_EXE.jpg.cbbfa94b1ca2ff558005cd175f6628fa.jpg

BTW: Modification Time of 1112-file versions seems to be adjusted one hour by (stupid!) Windows', because of Modification Date.:buehehe:

But Command Prompt seems to give the 'right' time.

1843801971_InsideFLOPUPD.EXEII.jpg.e1cefe88cb150703fa816e883b904a23.jpg

I hope this the version you are looking for.

FLOPUPD.EXE

Edited by deomsh
addition

@deomsh

That was absolutely the right one - thank you so much! It doesn't seem to have the latest versions of each file, but it does get me considerably closer to having a complete set.

I'm starting to think FLOPUPD5 might actually be an official update as well, just a somewhat unusually packaged one... it's hard to tell.

There's two more I'm also now looking to track down, but I've only just started looking for these. I'm not sure what their file names are yet, only their KB article numbers, but I'll continue searching and see what I can dig up. Otherwise if anyone happens to have these around anywhere (or know what their file names are)  -

Q181087 "Computer Hangs When Using the DIR Command in DFS Shared Folders"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q181/0/87.asp
		DFS.VXD 4.10.1691
		VNETSUP.VXD 4.10.1691
		VREDIR.VXD 4.10.1691
Q162211 ""Fatal Exception 0E" May Occur During Critical Suspend"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q162/2/11.asp
		VPOWERD.VXD 4.00.952