Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

Hello @Dušan Vićić ! 

Thanks for your compliments and your support for us in this project!

After 5 months, the sites are almost restored. 

To answer your questions, I will try to publish v4 and v3 sites on my website, but I don't know if this will work.

I will also make a guide (or anyone else, if someone wants to do that) to restore Windows Update on Windows Server (with the files included, of course). 

Windows Update will work even without the original links, because it uses files stored in the Windows Update folder on the server.

The idea of a website that detects the OS and redirect the user to the good website is cool, but I don't know how to do that, sadly...

Even if this project is not finished, I want to thanks everyone involved in it who made this project possible, who made the impossible possible!

Thanks @WinFX, @courrier3241, @xpandvistafan, @Longhorn XP, @ParQuadCore, @Sanvahu, @Le Cubis, @mina7601 and the other people (remember me your name if I forgot you :D).

3 hours ago, WULover said:

Hello @Dušan Vićić ! 

Thanks for your compliments and your support for us in this project!

After 5 months, the sites are almost restored. 

To answer your questions, I will try to publish v4 and v3 sites on my website, but I don't know if this will work.

I will also make a guide (or anyone else, if someone wants to do that) to restore Windows Update on Windows Server (with the files included, of course). 

Windows Update will work even without the original links, because it uses files stored in the Windows Update folder on the server.

The idea of a website that detects the OS and redirect the user to the good website is cool, but I don't know how to do that, sadly...

Even if this project is not finished, I want to thanks everyone involved in it who made this project possible, who made the impossible possible!

Thanks @WinFX, @courrier3241, @xpandvistafan, @Longhorn XP, @ParQuadCore, @Sanvahu, @Le Cubis, @mina7601 and the other people (remember me your name if I forgot you :D).

I could do the web site that redirects to the operating system, it is not necessary to have IE6, each one with their tastes of IE version.

I am going to give an example, the user is using Windows 2000 (the system that works with all WU, except WUApp of course) and has IE6 redirects to WUv5, instead if he has IE5 it redirects to WUv4, hopefully it can also detect the service pack since Windows 2000 with SP2 or less only support WUv4 as if it were 98 or ME.

If the Windows 2000 user has SP4 and IE6 and does not want WUv5 and prefers WUv3.1 or WUv4 instead, a query string such as g_sconsumersite could be used, but in this case g_V31Site g_V4Site g_V5Site g_V6Site.

5 hours ago, ByQuadCore said:

I used the 0x00000407 because of German language. The .gng is the language pack and the .as simply the link between the .inv and .bm. For English the  0x00000409 is fine.

You need valid .inv and .bm files. Also in the CRCCif in Root the called files must be valid for your os config. If something is wrong with the files or the file is for the wrong os IE may crash. Simply test other .inv or .cif files and rename them if needed.

How about the .des files? After changing the files specified, I still get the same amount of updates on Windows 98 SE, a few new ones, like Flash, but the critical updates package is only 964kb. Also, the CRCif folder is missing many updates.

Edited by xpandvistafan

3 hours ago, WULover said:

I don't even remember what I did to contribute to this project, but, you're welcome.

Also, the 2nd mentioned user is named maile3241, not courrier3241, lol.

8 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

How about the .des files? After changing the files specified, I still get the same amount of updates on Windows 98 SE, a few new ones, like Flash, but the critical updates package is only 964kb. Also, the CRCif folder is missing many updates.

You will need to find the missing cif files and rename them. Copy the ones with the same number and rename them to the requested name, eg. 2456_XXXX.cif to 2456_therequestedname.cif. Without them, Windows Update will only display the updates which have the cif files in place.

5 minutes ago, ByQuadCore said:

You will need to find the missing cif files and rename them. Copy the ones with the same number and rename them to the requested name, eg. 2456_XXXX.cif to 2456_therequestedname.cif. Without them, Windows Update will only display the updates which have the cif files in place.

Well it still shows the updates that have a missing cif file but they fail to install. What I was wondering though is why in your screenshot you have 16 mb of updates, but for me I only have 964 kb even after replacing the files like you said.

24 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Well it still shows the updates that have a missing cif file but they fail to install. What I was wondering though is why in your screenshot you have 16 mb of updates, but for me I only have 964 kb even after replacing the files like you said.

Okay seems to be a problem with the gng file. When I use other gng files it wont show me as many updates. But my gng file is 0x00000407.gng so a German one. Its 63KB in size. Maybe this helps.

Edited by ByQuadCore

6 minutes ago, ByQuadCore said:

Okay seems to be a problem with the gng file. When I use other gng files it wont show me as many updates. But my gng file is 0x00000407.gng so a German one. Its 63KB in size. Maybe this helps.

You think it has to do with the .des file? There are many different .des files with different sizes.

7 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

You think it has to do with the .des file? There are many different .des files with different sizes.

There can be many reasons why the updates won't show up. I think the language is the problem here. Each language has its own files and configuration, The Updates in the critical package are not that special. Most space is for DirectX and the IME.

spacer.png

More news regarding Windows Update v4, WUv4 is getting closer to the return, the only problem is that it looks like Windows Update v6 on XP without proxy...

The backend part of the getManifest.asp file is missing to work as it did in its heyday, it's like the client.aspx in WUv6.

If you want to have WUv4 working as I say, you must first download the ieversion.js file that detects the version of IE you are using, and add it to default.asp.
And replace the following lines:

var conWinNT = ;
var conBrowserVersion = ;

With the following code:

var conWinNT = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows NT") > -1);
var conBrowserVersion = getIEVersion();

Here below I leave a link to download the folder with all the WUv4 files so as not to spend hours with the wayback machine downloader, in addition to having the bug corrected in English, how to have the famous infinite loop of ?page=3 also solved in English for those with url2rewrite installed.

Windows Update v4 files

24 minutes ago, WinFX said:

More news regarding Windows Update v4, WUv4 is getting closer to the return, the only problem is that it looks like Windows Update v6 on XP without proxy...

The backend part of the getManifest.asp file is missing to work as it did in its heyday, it's like the client.aspx in WUv6.

If you want to have WUv4 working as I say, you must first download the ieversion.js file that detects the version of IE you are using, and add it to default.asp.

var conWinNT = ;

With the following code:

Here below I leave a link to download the folder with all the WUv4 files so as not to spend hours with the wayback machine downloader, in addition to having the bug corrected in English, how to have the famous infinite loop of ?page=3 also solved in English for those with url2rewrite installed.

Windows Update v4 files

So it actually searches for updates now? Or that is still not working?

1 hour ago, WinFX said:

var conWinNT = ;

With the following code:

Windows Update v4 files

It at least checks for updates before but OS detection doesn't work yet, but it's a huge step forward.:cheerleader:

PF9zZao.png

Edited by maile3241

10 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I don't even remember what I did to contribute to this project, but, you're welcome.

Also, the 2nd mentioned user is named maile3241, not courrier3241, lol.

Whoops, my phone corrected me in french :D

17 hours ago, WinFX said:

If the Windows 2000 user has SP4 and IE6 and does not want WUv5 and prefers WUv3.1 or WUv4 instead, a query string such as g_sconsumersite could be used, but in this case g_V31Site g_V4Site g_V5Site g_V6Site.

Wich means that WU will work without http://www.update.microsoft.com and https://www.update.microsoft.com in the trusted sites list?