Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

@WULover Thanks! your trick with fiddler works! now i'm getting 404 errors with inventory.plt...  it tries to access: inventory.plt?25ef9-fffcb893-fffc08df-08170404141f4 which gives an 404 error

Edit: after adding .plt as a MIME type to: text/html it seems to work

Edited by Sanvahu

13 hours ago, ByQuadCore said:

Windows Update works now with auto detection of language/region. But not in Windows 95. Windows NT4, 2000 and 98 SE are using the language of the OS and also downloading the updates in the right language. 

spacer.png

WTF? 16MB of critical updates? What version of WUv3 did you get that inv from?

Really good news community:cheerleader:, I have finally achieved an important advance regarding Windows Update v4. WUv4 was stuck looking for the activeX, since there was a corrupted line of code in static top.js (like the language of WUv3, which was always in English).

Replace the sCodeBase line with this:
sCodeBase = "/CAB/" + (navigator.cpuClass == "x86" ? "x86/" : "ia64/") + "unicode/" + "iuctl.CAB?" + dDate.getTime();

And if it doesn't work, use the signed iuctl.CAB Aug 25, 2003

spacer.png

Today a great titan came back to life!

Edited by WinFX

1 hour ago, WinFX said:

Really good news community:cheerleader:, I have finally achieved an important advance regarding Windows Update v4. WUv4 was stuck looking for the activeX, since there was a corrupted line of code in static top.js (like the language of WUv3, which was always in English).

Replace the sCodeBase line with this:
sCodeBase = "/CAB/" + (navigator.cpuClass == "x86" ? "x86/" : "ia64/") + "unicode/" + "iuctl.CAB?" + dDate.getTime();

And if it doesn't work, use the signed iuctl.CAB Aug 25, 2003

spacer.png

Today a great titan came back to life!

This is great news. The hardest part will be making it actually search for updates using the right server. It has a completely different backend from v5 and v6.

Windows Update v4 has a serious problem with javascript variables, when they are called in an if the code stops since they are "undefined", when they were previously defined, in the end ansi works, the problem is the javascript variables at least in top. js.

Edited by WinFX

19 hours ago, ByQuadCore said:

Windows Update works now with auto detection of language/region. But not in Windows 95. Windows NT4, 2000 and 98 SE are using the language of the OS and also downloading the updates in the right language. 

spacer.png

WHAT?! Thats good news but that September 1999 updates still in the server?

8 hours ago, WinFX said:

WTF? 16MB of critical updates? What version of WUv3 did you get that inv from?

It's E523F435D07F55621D376488CD866161407FC187.inv from August 2000. Interestingly .inv and .bm files disappeared after October 9th 2000. They were replaced with .bkf files and bitmask.cdm and inventory.cdm. But Update v3 won't load them in, and only a few were archived.

2 hours ago, LonghornXP said:

WHAT?! Thats good news but that September 1999 updates still in the server?

Only some.  I have archived some and made my own cabpool server. It works fine. Also Internet Explorer 4, 5, 5.5 and 6 can use the webinstaller again.

5 hours ago, ByQuadCore said:

It's E523F435D07F55621D376488CD866161407FC187.inv from August 2000.

I can't seem to find that file anywhere in my archive downloaded using the wayback machine downloader for some reason. I also can't find it on the wayback machine itself. Is this file from the wayback machine?

27 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

I can't seem to find that file anywhere in my archive downloaded using the wayback machine downloader for some reason. I also can't find it on the wayback machine itself. Is this file from the wayback machine?

I think I renamed it. The original name should be 9CF8F16EC35A1C51E503075187D04DA6E6369D92.inv and 966E85EC2985933BE567EDC0EE888D8DAA29FD8E.bm.

11 minutes ago, ByQuadCore said:

I think I renamed it. The original name should be 9CF8F16EC35A1C51E503075187D04DA6E6369D92.inv and 966E85EC2985933BE567EDC0EE888D8DAA29FD8E.bm.

Alright, got it. Did you get a different .gng and .as file as well?

Edited by xpandvistafan

32 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Alright, got it. Did you get a different .gng and .as file as well?

I used the 0x00000407 because of German language. The .gng is the language pack and the .as simply the link between the .inv and .bm. For English the  0x00000409 is fine.

14 minutes ago, WULover said:

@ByQuadCore How did you get Windows Update working on Windows 98?

For me,  it says "WuV3IS.dll has performed an illegal operation when checking for updates.

You need valid .inv and .bm files. Also in the CRCCif in Root the called files must be valid for your os config. If something is wrong with the files or the file is for the wrong os IE may crash. Simply test other .inv or .cif files and rename them if needed.

Sorry to pop in unannounced, but i have to say that this work in progress is doing pretty well!!! But i have couple of ideas and questions about this project.

After you get all WU versions up and running as it was long time ago, you must find a way to host the update servers on the internet, even if it's for the historical purposes. You can create one website in with the server will register with Windows OS are you using between 95, NT 4.0, 98FE, 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP and then select the appropriate update version for each OS. For instance, let's say that you are using Windows 98 and you want to update the computer using the old fashioned way instead of AutoPatcher. User will connect to your website, then website would redirect the user on the WUv4 site and update that computer completely without using AutoPatcher. But i think the real problem would be the 95 users, maybe because IE version is limited to the 5.5 instead of 6.0 or it's because of the compatibility or something else, i don't know.

Second. I read that the Windows 98 and NT 4.0 updates are still in Microsoft servers, miraculously, but most of the updates URLs are lost in time. At least the packages are saved on the various sites and utilities on the internet, but is it possible to replace the download links manually to not go to the Microsoft server but instead to go to the host servers?

Will the WU work even after you've replaced the original download links?

Third. When you've finished with this project, would you post the instructions how can we do this by ourselves step by step to replicate this  finished work?

I read the whole thread because i was always interested seeing the old WU versions on older Windows systems on YT, but after seeing that you've almost completed replicated the old WU system versions, i was actually impressed of your 5 month work on this project. Keep it up and let's hope that this project is gonna be finished in this year!

Edited by Dušan Vićić