Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

3 minutes ago, Sanvahu said:

So, after some trying, I keep getting a can not display page error. I'm trying it on windows 98SE. Could Windows 98FE be a solution? Trying fiddler also doesn't work... as it needs Windows 2000 and up..

Yes, Fiddler only supports Windows 2000 or later. It's a great way to debug errors and get the missing files if necessary. I have it setup where the Windows 98 machine has a proxy set to the Windows 2000 machine running Fiddler.  

17 minutes ago, ByQuadCore said:

We need a way to edit the catalog files and fill in the new updates. But I don't know how the files are encoded, not a lot of information is available for inv and bm files, sadly.

The .as files are compiled in actionscript 1.0

1 hour ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yeah, probably because you have old catalog files, if ones from 2011 were archived, then all the recent updates would show up. Also, on the topic on Windows Update v4, that is probably going to be much harder than v3. First off, v4 has a different mechanism, where it sends data to Microsoft and Microsoft returns the applicable updates, much like v5 and v6. But with v3, we got it working because it didn't send data to Microsoft, it requests catalog files which contain all the updates in them, and shows them in the site based on what updates you have installed. 

But if you look closely all versions (or almost) until R563 store inv and bm. After this version there is nothing, for my Micro$oft I change a mechanism or I change the domain of inv and bm. And it would be illogical that in 10 years (2001 to 2011) there is not a single investment higher than R563.

2 hours ago, ByQuadCore said:

Editing the inv files is doable. When you open the inv with 7-zip there is the inventory.as file. It seems that it's checking the registry for installed updates. 

spacer.png

What program are you using, to see inventory.as?

Windows Update works now with auto detection of language/region. But not in Windows 95. Windows NT4, 2000 and 98 SE are using the language of the OS and also downloading the updates in the right language. 

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, WULover said:

Do you have the .inv and .bm files for Windows 95 please? I really need them because Windows update is asking me to install Windows 98 updates.

Not yet. Win95 gives me critical errors. I must debug them later using a proxy, which is tricky on Win9x. An older version of Fiddler works fine under NT4, but not in 9x. 

Use Fiddler in Windows 10/11, and then enter the IP address of the machine running fiddler in Windows 95 (in the proxy options, HTTP, with port 8888). Then go to Fiddler options, Connections tab, and check "Enable remote connection".

Check also "Use HTTP 1.1 connection with proxy" in IE options, Advanced tab.

3 hours ago, ByQuadCore said:

Not yet. Win95 gives me critical errors. I must debug them later using a proxy, which is tricky on Win9x. An older version of Fiddler works fine under NT4, but not in 9x. 

How do you get an older version of Fiddler? The oldest one I can get is from 2017 which runs on 2000 or later.

4 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Interesting, I never knew that Fiddler was that old. I suppose it doesn't run on MS-DOS operating systems like 95 and 98?

Yes, it needs the Windows NT network stack. 

Windows Update in 95 works now with localization. I've written a small javascript to detect if the Windows version is Windows 95. Other versions like 98, Me, NT and 2000 are redirected to R1150 and Windows 95 to static_w95. It gets the language values from getLanguage.asp.

spacer.png

Edit:

I just found out that we can edit .as files in Microsoft Excel!

spacer.png

Edited by ByQuadCore