Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

3 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

I downloaded it, but I keep getting stuck at  critical components installer error. It gets pretty far, but it fails at that point.

Show me a screenshot of your fiddler log

47 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

It doesn't work on 2000 either, so I will show you that one. nLBoTy7.png

After installing activex controls related to Windows Update v4 or v6, Windows Update v3 mysteriously stops working. I recommend that you try it on a clean English installation of Windows 2000 RTM, SP1 or SP2.

41 minutes ago, WinFX said:

After installing activex controls related to Windows Update v4 or v6, Windows Update v3 mysteriously stops working. I recommend that you try it on a clean English installation of Windows 2000 RTM, SP1 or SP2.

Got that, but it is stuck requesting a non existent .inv file that isn't in the wayback machine.

4 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Got that, but it is stuck requesting a non existent .inv file that isn't in the wayback machine.

In the folder that you downloaded the entire site in wayback machine downloader, look for *.inv in the explorer, and that this is in the folder with the same numbering, for example 90704 is for Windows 2000 with IE5.01, I think it was 90724 for IE6 from what I see in your capture. Take that file and rename it, same with the bm.

38 minutes ago, WinFX said:

In the folder that you downloaded the entire site in wayback machine downloader, look for *.inv in the explorer, and that this is in the folder with the same numbering, for example 90704 is for Windows 2000 with IE5.01, I think it was 90724 for IE6 from what I see in your capture. Take that file and rename it, same with the bm.

I haven't been able to download every single thing because it takes too long. It is possible that someone here has a full archive of files that people could use instead of waiting 2 days for it to download from the web archive?

18 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

I haven't been able to download every single thing because it takes too long. It is possible that someone here has a full archive of files that people could use instead of waiting 2 days for it to download from the web archive?

Add --concurrency 20 to the command

On 8/17/2022 at 5:16 AM, WinFX said:

More news about Windows Update V3, now has returned to Windows 98 first edition, and installs updates correctly. Perhaps our humid dream of working Windows Update in Windows 98 has been fulfilled, but there are still certain bugs:

• Regardless of the language of the operating system, the site is loaded in English
  • Updates are only installed if the operating system are in English
  • Although much of the updates are in download.windowsupdate.com, it only shows the critical updates package
  • The recommended updates are not shown, although in @maile3241 first video on Windows 2000 they appear
  • An annoying JavaScript error appears "document.style.all"

What must be done that the updates are downloaded? I only get an error after starting the download

15 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

After doing this command, I was rate limited after 10 000 or so files. Now web archive refuses to connect for me.

Same problem for me. It's because archive.org does only allow limited pings per IP. Use 2 or maybe 5 instead of 20. It's slow, but at least twice as fast as normal.

I just found out why Windows Update v31 is only shown in English. In default.htm there is only a static value. If you put in your language ID and language code, Windows Update will be shown in the right locale. 

spacer.png

Edit i got the German Version working:

Edited by ByQuadCore

1 hour ago, ByQuadCore said:

I just found out why Windows Update v31 is only shown in English. In default.htm there is only a static value. If you put in your language ID and language code, Windows Update will be shown in the right locale. 

spacer.png

Edit i got the German Version working:

The file 0x00000407.as, is it a renamed 0x00000409.as?