Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

18 hours ago, WinFX said:

More news about Windows Update V3, now has returned to Windows 98 first edition, and installs updates correctly. Perhaps our humid dream of working Windows Update in Windows 98 has been fulfilled, but there are still certain bugs:

• Regardless of the language of the operating system, the site is loaded in English
  • Updates are only installed if the operating system are in English
  • Although much of the updates are in download.windowsupdate.com, it only shows the critical updates package
  • The recommended updates are not shown, although in @maile3241 first video on Windows 2000 they appear
  • An annoying JavaScript error appears "document.style.all"

This here is excellent news even if it's a Work in Progress. On the critical updates, does it just show the same critical updates over and over even after installing them? Or does the update disappear from the critical updates list after installation? 

@Dave-H What do you think of this news?

Edited by xpandvistafan

I don't really know what to say!
I'm amazed that any prospect of getting Windows 98 Update working again is remotely possible, I would have thought that Microsoft would have deleted all the necessary files from their servers years ago, but if it is still possible, then great!
Mind you, I never thought that Microsoft Update would ever work again on Windows XP, but it can be made to do so, and it does!
:)

1 hour ago, xpandvistafan said:

This here is excellent news even if it's a Work in Progress. On the critical updates, does it just show the same critical updates over and over even after installing them? Or does the update disappear from the critical updates list after installation? 

@Dave-H What do you think of this news?

Disappear after installing them

23 minutes ago, WinFX said:

Disappear after installing them

I expect the optional updates not showing maybe is a result of grabbing an archive that doesn't have the code to display optional updates. Also another cause could be that @maile3241 ran Windows Update v3 on 2000, while you ran it on 98. But this again is great news and hopefully we can get some of the problems sorted out soon.    

Edited by xpandvistafan

10 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

I expect the optional updates not showing maybe is a result of grabbing an archive that doesn't have the code to display optional updates. Also another cause could be that @maile3241 ran Windows Update v3 on 2000, while you ran it on 98. But this again is great news and hopefully we can get some of the problems sorted out soon.    

But I didn't even show the recommended updates on Windows 2000 both in RTM, SP2 and SP4.

1 hour ago, WinFX said:

But I didn't even show the recommended updates on Windows 2000 both in RTM, SP2 and SP4.

Actually I think it has to do with what catalog you are getting. The list of Windows Updates are stored in a catalog file. The catalog files are archived and that's the whole reason why it's working. I think you got a catalog file that does not have optional updates included in it. Try looking for a different version of the file and tell me if it shows optional updates.

21 hours ago, WinFX said:

Windows 98 and Me crash because your folder is corrupted, only backup Home.htm and Mssupport.htm. Then copy and rename nt5 to w98 or mil. And in engine.htm replace nt5 with mil or w98.

Does it works by replacing nt5 with w95 or Windows 95 can only be updated using windowsupdate.com ?